Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Pen for EDC Any Thoughts???

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    This is my issue with the Zebra 701.
    Attachment 41730
    The core is all plastic and I've broken the tip off where it threads into that plastic. The Parker Jotter has done a better job for me so far in that regard.
    I use 701s all the time and have never had one break like that.

I have had a batch of ink skipping lately, which is annoying. I'm going to try some new refills

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    I need to have you build me a couple more of these. The one you gave me a few years ago was "reappropriated" at work along with some of my kit.
    Shoot me your address, I think I misplaced it. I'll work on a couple for ya this weekend. I need to make a few for the minions at work as well.

Feedback Score
    My personal preference: Parker Jotter, stainless steel.
    Attachment 41728
    I just ordered one. (about a week ago from fleabay)

Feedback Score
    I just started using the crkt pen. It feels good, looks good and is solid. About $40 with shipping and uses fisher space pen inserts.

Last edited by MegademiC; 10-25-16 at 06:26.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Attachment 41730
    The core is all plastic and I've broken the tip off where it threads into that plastic. The Parker Jotter has done a better job for me so far in that regard.
    THanks for posting, I was about to pull zee trigger and buy zee Zebra.

Saved me $16.96 + shipping. Thx!
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Shoot me your address, I think I misplaced it. I'll work on a couple for ya this weekend. I need to make a few for the minions at work as well.
    Is this something you'd do for a lowlife like me? I'd throw money your way. Or a almost full tub of FrogLubz, or some other worthwhile trinket of innumerable value.

I'm not your minion, but I'm sure I'm someone's minion.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardluk View Post
    I am thinking about adding a Tactical Pen to my EDC but unsure what to get or if they are worth the money. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
    I've had a few over the years. Some I bought, some were sent to me to evaluate. I get a little aggravated because it seems that everything now has a tactical version. I'm waiting to see tactical Preparation H or Tactical Tampons (don't anyone steal that idea I'm gonna run with that one.)

But to your point, here's a pic of 3 EDC pens I carry. The middle one really isn't a true EDC, but I keep it in my pack that I used for work every day, so in that sense I do carry it daily during the week.
    - The Practical Tactical on the left has been my favorite of the "tactical" pens. I think it's relatively low profile, it has a good grip for writing and like most others, I replace the cartridge with a Fisher, although the cartridge that came with the pen wrote more smooth than the Space Pen refill. I've chopped up a 10 lb block of solid ice with that pen. I've buried it in a 2x4 as well, it's about as solid of a pen as I've owned. It was priced really well also. I believe I paid right under $13 for it. (Currently $19.95 link here.)
    - The middle "StrikePen" I think from one of those prepper/survivalist scam guys, but I only paid shipping for it. I just know that "crown" is more of a PITA than anything. I carry it because I don't want to poke holes in my clothes or anyone else's, but it is a heavy pen and can do some damage, so it's in the pack.
    - The pen on the right is the very first Fisher Space Pen that a PM I was working with gave me back in 2000. Yep, I have definitely broken a record for longest retained pen of any kind. 16 years is mighty long time not to lose a little pen like that. Granted it's not tactical at all, but it is small, and as you probably know, with a little creative thinking most pens can be used to injure someone. I promise you if I jab a threat in the eyeball with my little space pen he's not gonna say, "Hey that don't count, it's not tactical." lol.

I take all three of these pens through TSA, not just once, but often as I go periods of time where I fly every week. For months. I've had TSA guys pull one out of my bag, look at it and put it right back inside the bag.

I know I ramble, sorry. But I will close with this. Some tactical pens are absolutely worthless. For example, pens that have a sharp top, that's called a "DNA collector". How are you supposed to grip it, normally thumb over the top cap to gain any leverage? It's like zero thought went into the design. "Let's put sharp ends on a pen, paint it black and call it tactical!" So as a suggestion if you are going to get one, just be sure before you buy you can simulate deploying it so you don't run into the problem where the only DNA sample you collect is from your own skin.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Attachment 41730
    I concur, I have destroyed two in exactly the same way... broken tip due to plastic guts. The clicker broke on a third.
    Last edited by DevL; 11-06-16 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    My personal preference: Parker Jotter, stainless steel.
    Attachment 41728
    This. Discrete. it's also my favorite series of pens.
    Last edited by ride57; 11-18-16 at 23:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Amazon has some good deals on the 701X components right now. They are priced as add-on items, requiring $25 in other purchasing.

order 2: 701 pen for $4.63ea, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    order 1: 402 pen 2-pack for $4.55, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    order 1: Fisher Space Pen refill 3-pack for $4.99, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$18.80 for two assembled 701X, $9.40 each, and leaves you a spare refill.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast