Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
I remember going to Gatlinburg in the very early 70's...man there wasnt anything there!
The one thing I know was there back then, that I hope is still there..haavent been since early 2000's...is the Taffy machine in the window.
One of only a few left, this thing has been twisting taffy about as long as Ive been alive.
But outside of that...I remember a guy had a little black bear on the side of the road at a pull-off, you could get your picture made for a dollar or so.
It was very remote, as I said few modern conveniences outside shady motels, and I dont recall many eatin joints either.
My last trip, was my last trip. Cant take the crowds in that small a place, and its just too touristy for me.
Im fortunate enough tho to live in a part on TN where I can drive 15 minutes and have scenery that to me & others rivals that of that whole area.
I too, remember when that area shut down for winter.
Townsend, TN is the last city on the right heading towards Cades Cove. Still fairly small and not crowded and I want to stay there some day for that reason.

Also, it is maybe an hour south of Maryville so if S&W has tours or a bargain hut that could be a future cool thing