Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do in Gatlinburg, Tennessee?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In southern KY there is an offroad park around Wildcat Mountain. It is along I 75. There is a group in Pigeon Forge that provides offroad rides, but I think you ride with them. It never was appealing to me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not Gatlinburg, but very close.

http://www.windrockpark.com

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Thanks for all the input. Went to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and the Smokey Mountain National Forest. Did some hiking, saw some of the touristy things around Gatlinburg and Forge, and I found an off-road compound not too far from there called Outdoors in the Smokies. Overall it was a blast, but I would have liked more than two days.

A few pics:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Glad you enjoyed the trip. That part of Tennessee is a nice little jewel in the South. We go there about 1-2 times per month...but we live in Knoxville.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How much has re opened after the fires? I was hoping to visit later in Jan.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bass Pro is in Kodak, TN and named after the camera.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodak,_Tennessee

Good that you made it down prior to the fire. We went summer 2017 and after seeing which hill sides got hit were surprised the house places and business off Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail didn't get hit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Really good food for breakfast and lunch and a nice environment including a few fish and game mounts upstairs.

http://pancakepantry.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joe138 View Post
    How much has re opened after the fires? I was hoping to visit later in Jan.
    The fire was in 2016 and they have rebounded from it. Supply issues and trying to to get people to work is an issue now. I live on the north side of Knoxville. Some restaurants shutdown early because folks won't work. I thought the Covid money was being cutoff??
    My Dad was born and raised in Gatlinburg, TN. I rarely go there anymore because of crowds. We camp over in Townsend, TN. Have reservations for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.
    Your first time just try to see as much as possible then decide what you want to focus on next time. They have something for almost everyone.
    My problem is I'm getting old and I remember when Gatlinburg would shut down in early November and reopen in the spring. Good times back then for a kid that just wanted to be in the woods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I remember going to Gatlinburg in the very early 70's...man there wasnt anything there!
    The one thing I know was there back then, that I hope is still there..haavent been since early 2000's...is the Taffy machine in the window.
    One of only a few left, this thing has been twisting taffy about as long as Ive been alive.
    But outside of that...I remember a guy had a little black bear on the side of the road at a pull-off, you could get your picture made for a dollar or so.
    It was very remote, as I said few modern conveniences outside shady motels, and I dont recall many eatin joints either.
    My last trip, was my last trip. Cant take the crowds in that small a place, and its just too touristy for me.
    Im fortunate enough tho to live in a part on TN where I can drive 15 minutes and have scenery that to me & others rivals that of that whole area.
    I too, remember when that area shut down for winter.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    They are still making taffy. Probably got some newer machines. It's a wonder I didn't pull a tooth out when I was little.

My Grandmother lived on what's called Ski Mtn Road. Yea the road went up to the ski lodge. I could walk out her door, cross the road heading east and in 100 yards I was in the G.S.M.N.P. A couple of times I got turned around for a few hours until I found my way out. Folks would have a fit today if a young kid wandered off like that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast