Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do in Gatlinburg, Tennessee?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I remember going to Gatlinburg in the very early 70's...man there wasnt anything there!
    The one thing I know was there back then, that I hope is still there..haavent been since early 2000's...is the Taffy machine in the window.
    One of only a few left, this thing has been twisting taffy about as long as Ive been alive.
    But outside of that...I remember a guy had a little black bear on the side of the road at a pull-off, you could get your picture made for a dollar or so.
    It was very remote, as I said few modern conveniences outside shady motels, and I dont recall many eatin joints either.
    My last trip, was my last trip. Cant take the crowds in that small a place, and its just too touristy for me.
    Im fortunate enough tho to live in a part on TN where I can drive 15 minutes and have scenery that to me & others rivals that of that whole area.
    I too, remember when that area shut down for winter.
    Townsend, TN is the last city on the right heading towards Cades Cove. Still fairly small and not crowded and I want to stay there some day for that reason.

Also, it is maybe an hour south of Maryville so if S&W has tours or a bargain hut that could be a future cool thing

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerMKII View Post
    They are still making taffy. Probably got some newer machines. It's a wonder I didn't pull a tooth out when I was little.

My Grandmother lived on what's called Ski Mtn Road. Yea the road went up to the ski lodge. I could walk out her door, cross the road heading east and in 100 yards I was in the G.S.M.N.P. A couple of times I got turned around for a few hours until I found my way out. Folks would have a fit today if a young kid wandered off like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Townsend, TN is the last city on the right heading towards Cades Cove. Still fairly small and not crowded and I want to stay there some day for that reason.

Also, it is maybe an hour south of Maryville so if S&W has tours or a bargain hut that could be a future cool thing
    Thanks for the info on the taffy machine..I saw a show about that specific one a long time ago...if it were to break they said they couldnt fix it or something like that.

Yes, Townsend is a cool place. Just get on out a little from the tourist stuff and to me its more enjoyable.
    Thats so awesome about S&W moving there, too.
    When I was trucking I used to know a lot of little backroads around there.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Only there once, about 8 years ago maybe, family and I had a condo nearby for a week. I liked Gatlinburg. Kitchy, like Myrtle Beach and Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida, used to be. I loved the NOC store right before the entrance into the national park. I could spend hours and thousands of bucks in there. Gatlinburg is also the place to be if you plie pancakes for some reason.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just passed through the area last weekend. Stayed at the Inn on the River in Pigeon Forge, which was a great hotel. As for the rest of PF, it was WAY too busy and populated/touristy for me. We went to The Island, which is a free entertainment venue on the main strip. It was neat, but nothing I hadn’t seen before on vacation.

My son and I did make a run up to Sevierville to Smoky Mountain Knife Works and to Bud’s. SMKW was a neat shop and I got to get my hands on a bunch of knives and tools that I had been looking at, but I walked away with a $4.00 flashlight cone for directing traffic. Prices were decent on most things, just nothing that I wanted to drop the money on and the hands-on time let me know that I didn’t want to buy what I had previously been thinking about buying. As for Bud’s, nothing to write home about, it’s just a regular shop with a decent selection of ammo ($19/box of 50 Federal FMJ 115 gr.) and a big indoor range.

The big draw for our short weekend jaunt through there was the day at Smoky Mountain National Park. Agreed on visiting Clingman’s Dome and the main lookout on the way to Clingman’s from the north (don’t recall the name, but it’s HUGE, you can’t miss it). I would’ve liked to hike but it wasn’t in the cards for this trip.

Gatlinburg was neat, but definitely plan on staying there as it costs to park everywhere and it’s easier to get around on foot. Just make sure to work on your cardio before you go, the hills and altitude can make it rough if you’re a flatlander.
    Last edited by Boy Scout; 10-13-21 at 23:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
    Just passed through the area last weekend. Stayed at the Inn on the River in Pigeon Forge, which was a great hotel. As for the rest of PF, it was WAY too busy and populated/touristy for me. We went to The Island, which is a free entertainment venue on the main strip. It was neat, but nothing I hadn’t seen before on vacation.

My son and I did make a run up to Sevierville to Smoky Mountain Knife Works and to Bud’s. SMKW was a neat shop and I got to get my hands on a bunch of knives and tools that I had been looking at, but I walked away with a $4.00 flashlight cone for directing traffic. Prices were decent on most things, just nothing that I wanted to drop the money on and the hands-on time let me know that I didn’t want to buy what I had previously been thinking about buying. As for Bud’s, nothing to write home about, it’s just a regular shop with a decent selection of ammo ($19/box of 50 Federal FMJ 115 gr.) and a big indoor range.

The big draw for our short weekend jaunt through there was the day at Smoky Mountain National Park. Agreed on visiting Clingman’s Dome and the main lookout on the way to Clingman’s from the north (don’t recall the name, but it’s HUGE, you can’t miss it). I would’ve liked to hike but it wasn’t in the cards for this trip.

Gatlinburg was neat, but definitely plan on staying there as it costs to park everywhere and it’s easier to get around on foot. Just make sure to work on your cardio before you go, the hills and altitude can make it rough if you’re a flatlander.
    The lookout area is Newfound Gap and the TN and NC State line is there too.

You also drove past the trail head for Alum Cave bluffs which is one of the trails up to Mt. LeConte and LeConte Lodge. Think LeConte Lodge is still the highest elevation lodging in the eastern US and on my places to stay list and hoping I haven't waited too long.

http://www.lecontelodge.com/
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-14-21 at 14:35.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks jsb, Newfound Gap is what I couldn’t recall. It’s pretty neat that the Appalachian Trail goes through both Clingman’s Dome and Newfound Gap lookout.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Imagination Mountian Campgroud in Cosby is close to Gatlinburg. It is a very nice campground and the owner is a former cop from CA. It used to be part of the Jelly Stone franchise. We try to go in October every year with friends.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Green Briar area(several miles past city hall) seemed to be a lower volume area than many others down there. Lots of wild flowers in the spring(found out about the area and flowers from the now closed Happy Hiker) and also another route to LeConte Lodge.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
    Thanks jsb, Newfound Gap is what I couldn’t recall. It’s pretty neat that the Appalachian Trail goes through both Clingman’s Dome and Newfound Gap lookout.
    I love the GSMNP, and I have put in many miles on the AT in that area. There's some pretty remote ad rugged terrain in the GSMNP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123