Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle device for precision 5.56

Feedback Score

Muzzle device for precision 5.56

Hello All,

I'm in the planning stage for my first precision/longer range 5.56 rifle. I intend to build it around a 20" barrel. It will be used for recreational target shooting, and on the 0.00001% chance that the S hits the F, for longer range 'sniping' and perhaps for hunting.

My question is what sort of muzzle device should I put on it (if any). I think the traditional wisdom says muzzle break, but I've read a few good points that suggest using a flash hider. The most interesting one is that in a life or death situation, from a prone position, the muzzle break is going to throw up big clouds of dirt that will interfere with follow up shots and give away position. I would also like something that can be used with a suppressor. I have an Omega in NFA jail right now, but that thing is intended for a 300 blk SBR so I'm definitely open to devices for other suppressors.

I'd be interested in any comments or suggestions that you have.

Thanks,

JRC

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Muzzle Brake. Build it for the 99.99999% use case, not the 0.00001% use case.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Muzzle Brake. Build it for the 99.99999% use case, not the 0.00001% use case.
    That's a very good point.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have an 18" AR with a Rainier barrel that was built for roughly the same purpose, learning a bit more about longer range shooting. I have a Sandman-S currently in NFA jail right now, so I bought an additional Keymount brake in 1/2X28 and have been very happy with it. This rifle has an A5 RE, rifle length gas with an adjustable gas block and that Dead Air muzzle device. It really is the smoothest and flattest shooting AR I have ever shot. It is really nice to be able to see impacts through the glass, even at relatively close ranges. Where you have the Omega coming, the ASR break sounds like the way to go in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have AAC Cans and do like the one chamber brake with port on top. Ports on both sides and small one on top. The gun does not budge. Lotta brakes out there that will do the job.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Any mount for a can will be fine. At 20 inches, you can really use whatever. The need for brake action is very minimal, and blast baffle erosion is nearly nothing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    MSTN did a review that has since been lost to time on the KAC QD flash hider that went into concentricity, flash suppression, and a few other things. KAC's QD flash hider, triple tap, and NT4 MAMS are my picks, but I have the suppressor for them too. All good to minute-of-prairie dog at 300 and beyond.

Feedback Score
    I'd look closer at your precision requirements and components for use. That and reasonable abilities can change up matters to help you get where you want to go.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    for people as targets, killing flash, & protecting your hearing… suppressor

for hitting targets far away accurately… muzzle brake

for less sound than a brake, far more than a can… with NO recoil management help… flash hider

Muzzle Brake for competition gun

Suppressed for everything else IMO

a .30 Omega will cover you for everything .308 and smaller; will have to buy multiple mounts though

The Omega can move between your guns easily. Assuming you are the only shooter
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 02-01-20 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    Precision Armament has some very good muzzle brakes and flash hiders. I have the M4-72 in a 20" and it is phenomenal at reducing recoil and the video's I've seen of their flash hiders are impressive. The brakes will make watching your own hits easier. If your running a 20" bull barrel however recoil should be sufficiently low to do that even without the brake and incredibly easy with one. However bakes do make the felt muzzle blast much more pronounced making hearing protection an absolute must. I normally always where hearing protection anyway but a couple shots with braked firearm will have you stuffing 9mm cases, tissue paper or gummy bears in your ears if you forgot your muffs at the house. I haven't noticed any reduction in accuracy in target crowned versus braked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast