Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aimpoint vs. Trijicon

Feedback Score
    If you have a 14.5" or 16" Barrel check out the TA31F or TA31RCOM4 they both have the same BDC only thing is the TA31F does not have the Lines on the side for leading moving targets but its really not a prob if you know how to lead in the first place but the lines can help I guess.. You can get the TA31F for about $950 and it will cover you from 100m-800m anything under 7-10m you will learn how to use it and its more of just point shooting.. But it is easy to learn if you have the time.. But if you are going to be doing more bench type shooting then I would say check out the Accupoint but even that does not have a BDC and its not as fast.. even when i bench shoot I use the BDC since we have targets out to 400m.. and it is right with in MOA.. that is the good thing about the ACOGS BDC its nothing like mildots or lines they are right on when using 62gr bullets and you can set it up to shoot within MOA with 75gr rounds to. you just sight in a inch high at 100m or somthing like that but Im pretty sure thats it.. if you are going to be doing most of your shooting under 25m then I would say go with a red dot.. but if you are going to be doing stuff from 25m to 600 or even 800m then you cant go wrong with a TA31F or any of the 4x ACOG models.. the FOV is very good best out of all the ACOGs and the speed is insane for a 4x optic.. I mean I really dont see buying a Accupoint unless you are just going to be doing bench shooting at fixed ranges.. but if you do want a scope they are some of the best.. for a AR-15 optic you really cant get any better then a ACOG.. unless you are going to be doing CQ shooting 25m and under.. then I would say check out a Aimpoint.. You can get the 3xmag for the aimpoint but still you get no BDC.. I would say go down to your local gun shop and try out a few optics or go down to your local range and check out some setups I can pretty much say you will have a 90% chance of running into someone with a ACOG and I know for sure you will run into someone with a Aimpoint or EoTech..

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcmax View Post
    Is it still possible to group shots at 3-400 yards with the aimpoint?
    Red-dot sights like the Aimpoint/EoTech do everything iron sights do out to point blank range, they just do it faster and in more lighting conditions.

You can shoot groups with anything at any range, it just becomes a question of zeroing. Well, really it becomes a question of application. Just because you could zero your Aimpoint for 500 yards does not meant it is a good idea. Red-dots are built to be simple, no thinking necessary, point and click type interface. Yes, offsets do apply and are especially critical at close range, but for humanoid targets from muzzle to 200 yards they are highly efficient.

If you want to shoot little groups at 500 yards you will be better served by a high magnification optic with easily adjusted elevation and deflection to permit precise aiming at varying distances in wind. There is a reason that target-shooters and snipers use the otics they use instead of a 1X dot optic. Just don't expect to be a CQB ninja with one of these bolted to your boom-stick.

Variable powered optics, specifically the ShortDot, are very good. While not necessarily the "best" of both worlds, they are an effective compromise. I have not personally used anything that equals the SD yet, though my time on any is relatively little. There is a reason that the SD costs what it does. Still, adjusting magnification on the fly is not an optimal method for non-dedicated use fighting guns. They probably represent the most versatility, but still are not perfect.

For a compromise on effectiveness and price, the ACOG 3X and 4X lines are decent. The best stand-alone ACOG, in my opinion, is the TA33. It has much better eye-relief than the 4X series, which makes it easier to run at speed at closeish ranges while still providing magnification for your longer range shots and target ID. The accuracy of the reticle is a little weak at the 200-300 range due to the "clutter" around the 300 meter aiming point (bottom of chevron/tip of vertical post) and the fact that the chevron covers up the area around the 200 m aiming point. The TA01NSN is pretty simple, and the simple graduated cross-hair is much more precise than the chevron. I am eager to try out the JP ACOG, which has a simplified reticle, more precise BDC, and has wind hold-offs indicated at range.

I highly recommend that if you are going to get an optic that is over 3X at it's lowest setting that you also get a Mini Red Dot sight (MRD) for use up close, as magnified optics, and the ACOG in particular, are sub-optimal up close for a variety of reasons. The addition of an MRD in an offset position provides instant change-over of magnification. The top-mounted MRD, while usable, is not a favored position. ACOG (TA31) discussion with a tangent on the TVNC MRD/Light mount.

In the end, nobody knows what you are really using your gun for or what will be the best choice for you, except you. There is no "best" (though there are a lot of "worst"). All have strong and weak points. All we can do is relay our experience, it's up to you to make an informed decision (read the links provided by Thekatar above and others in the Optics Forum) based off of your intended use.

Just my .02.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Good comments over all on this subject. I'll try to address a question or two, plus some add some comments.

1) The Micro T-1 is labeled a 4 MOA, but it is actually closer to 3 MOA. If you were to place a 2 MOA CompM4 (on setting 12) or 2 MOA CompM3 (on setting 7) on the same rail with a Micro T-1 (on setting 8) you will notice the Micro T-1's dot will be slightly larger. Now turn the brightness setting down on the Micro T-1 to setting 7 and you can barely tell the difference in size between the dots. There is no 2 MOA Micro T-1 planned for release.

2) NATO studies have found that the human eye can't distinguish between a 2 MOA and a 1 MOA dot. Also, the same studies have found that the the most effective and efficient reticle was a simple single red dot. Very few people other than trained DM's and Snipers actually use the BDC reticles for engagements or even to conduct a range estimations. How many human targets/threats stand square to you long enough to use a BDC scale to estimate range on the "two way range." Often they are moving laterally trying to flank your position while putting rounds down range in your direction. Most shooters will simply place the red dot or chevron directly on the threat or "guesstimate" a hold over.

3) Keep in mind that the Center for Naval Analysis study of GWOT found that 97% of combat engagement are inside of 100M with the majority of the remainder inside of 300M. This has not varied for several hundred years. Even Marine Corps legendary marksmanship of shots at 800yards during WWI, while factual were more exception than rule during offensive operations, with combat engagements at Belleau Wood and Soissons often being within 30 to 50 meters in heavy woods. This was clearly evident when I visited those battlefields this past June. Neither battlefield has changed in over 100 years. Bottomline is that KY windage or this case elevation is most often used in high stress situations. Rarely are elevation adjustment knobs or windage knobs used during a combat engagement.

4) Thus, can you use an 1X Aimpoint sight at 300 to 400 yards? Absolutely. First you need to be able to identify the threat/target. Second you need to be able to estimate the range as accurately as you can. A 4 MOA dot will be 4" at 100 yards, 8" at 200 yards (human head is 9" in diameter), 12" at 300 yards, and 16" at 400 yards (human torso is 19" wide). A 2 MOA dot will be 2" at 100 yards, 4" at 200 yards, 6" at 300 yards, 8" at 400 yards. If you use a 200 yard zero the round will drop 8" at 300 yards, thus place the red dot on the threat/target's head as the rounds should fall into the upper torso, at 400 yards the bullet will drop 24" at 400 yards, thus place the red dot above the target's head and the rounds should hit the upper torso. This is of course considering there is minimal to no lateral wind. FYI, I have shot an 11"X19" Salute Products 10-8/EAG Steel Target repeatedly using a Micro T-1 with LT66X Tall Riser with an Aimpoint 3X Magnifier at 600 yards with a Noveske N4 using proper hold over. More on this subject in the Oct issue of SWAT magazine.

5) There are several solutions being designed and made for using the Micro T-1 to compliment the ACOG. The MURLM is a good example. Aimpoint has one in development and a highly respected mount maker has one made for certain customers. Bottomline is that there are good choices available now and there are more coming.

S/F

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Edit.
    Last edited by Belloc; 03-02-13 at 03:07.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12