Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (.308)Windham SRC vs Bushmaster 90702 or PTR91

Feedback Score
    Thanks all! My father doesn't want to spend over 1100 for it. He's got two .308 bolts and thought the semi-auto would be fun. He loved his M14 when he was in the Marines (Vietnam, he's 73 years old now). I showed him some youtube videos of the PTR and the other two in action and I could tell he has some fond memories of that rifle. We look at the Springfields, but they are a bit pricey and he's more into the AR, PTR platform. I think the FAL's are out of his budget too.

I'll look into the Armalite and S&W for him.

On the PTR's is the tapered barrel a medium contour tapered to a standard? I haven't been able to find any information on that. We were looking at the GI version of the rifle. And the match grade target, which is bull barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    for that price tag PTR is really your only option. Windham may have a winner, but why chance it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another option is a FAL - they are a good option and tend to be quite robust/reliable. To preface this, I have multiple semi-auto 308's, including 308 AR's. DSA makes a SA58 Voyager in 16, 18, and 21 inch models that retails right around $1k. I have a 18" that is a good gun.

Just another thought...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For the price range he is looking at I would steer him in the direction of the newest DPMS G2. Parts are still mainly proprietary at the moment, but there are several aftermarket rails available. I know there is a lot of DPMS hate, but their .308's run well and are pretty handy for a large frame AR. I have a Recon that shoots .75" or better on a regular basis with factory match ammunition and handloads. Only thing it does not like are the new generation .308 Pmags, but runs with Knights Armament mags, Lancer mags, Brownells mags, DPMS mags, and the IMI mags without issue. With an adjustable gas block and a brake it is very soft and flat shooting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've heard mixed reviews of the DPMS G2. Some people dig 'em, some people have had bad experiences.
    Very hit or miss.
    I'd personally opt to play it safer with either Armalite at a minimum, or a Colt.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are the mixed reviews magazine related issues? Because I have heard and experienced the same with two Recon rifles. Both were malfunctioning only with the use of Pmags. Magpul is aware of the issue, but did not seem to care when I contacted them about it. I like Armalite, but wanted some with some semblance of SR-25 magazine compatibility and could not find anyone with an AR-10A in stock for a reasonable price at the time I was looking to buy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's very worth it to save for a quality AR 308.

You could go PTR, but I think the lowest tier AR I would go is a Colt. If you look they hover around the 2k mark. Slightly under.

Feedback Score
    I have an Armalite AR-10B and a M1A "loaded" model that will put 3 rounds in one ragged hole at 100/y. That is the one I would grab If I was going to war. Another guy at the range says his will do the same thing. The Armalite came with a terrible trigger and I had to buy a match trigger from them to get something usable.

I wouldn't be afraid of Windham Weaponry stuff. I have two WW-15's and they are excellent. One I put an upper from Sharps in caliber 25-45 Sharps. I prefer them to my Colt 6601 HBAR.

Tell your dad to pay the extra $$$$$$ and get an M!A. He will never regret it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Either the windham or an armalite def 10.

Feedback Score
    There's a few folks looking into some of the DPMS G2 issues. Maybe in time there could be some commercial options available to help them out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast