Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Recommendations, Sources, and Long-Term Storage

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Food Recommendations, Sources, and Long-Term Storage

I've been reading this forum for a few years now, and I've always thought it odd that there is no enduring food discussion thread pinned at the top for consolidated all food planning questions and advice. We have pinned threads for communications, survival books, and other topics, but food - possibly the most essential item in a disaster preparation plan - isn't included among them. If one of the moderators sees fit to add such a thread, I thought I'd compile some links to related threads from the past and sources for food that people have recommended along the way. If there's enough interest, I can attempt to keep the first post updated with new additions to these subtopics as people add more to the discussion.

Food Recommendations and Discussion:

M4C: Some Thoughts on Buying Food

M4C: What are you growing?

M4C: 3 months of food for 5 adults 2 children

M4C: School me on MREs

M4C: Source for Freeze Dried Food large order

M4C: Bugs in Rice

M4C: Food Cans and Tins

M4C: Water purification and things other than biologic agents

Sources for Survival Food:

Walmart.com listings for Emergency Food

Associated M4C Thread: Walmart has Food Storage Items?

Amazon listings for Mountain House food products

Amazon listings for Wise Company food products

Food Storage:

M4C: Shelf life of MREs

M4C: Foodsaver Vacuum sealer

M4C: Rice Storage

M4C: Root Cellar Build

Sources for Food and Water Storage Equipment:

Lexington Container Company - good mail order source for water cans, barrels, and other storage containers

Walmart.com listings for water storage containers

Amazon listings for water storage containers

WaterBrick Stackable Emergency Water and Food Storage Container, 3.5 gal on Amazon (price ranges from about $18 - $25+)

FoodBrick Stackable Food Storage Container on Amazon ($17 each as of 22 Mar 19)

I'm sure there's a lot more that could be added to this - these are just a few interesting discussions and sources I've gleaned from this forum. I hope others are interested in a consolidated location for this sort of information.

Dave
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 03-22-19 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    Tag for interest. This is a great idea. I'm also hoping to get ideas on what others are using for water purification methods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I found a thread on water purification that I added above, "Water purification and things other than biologic agents." Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it contained some interesting info.

Dave

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    This is a great reference for this part of the forum. Nicely done. I will be referencing this in the future.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Made this one a sticky... even though he missed the best post on the subject.

IYACYAS!
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks, K.L. Updated!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had the chance to try several Mountain House meals while I was at the National Training Center last month. I took some along in case I got tired of eating MREs and Army heat and serve meals (which I did). I tried the Breakfast Scramble, Chicken and Rice, and Beef Stroganoff, all of which were pretty tasty. I had a hot pot to boil water which I plugged into my Stryker. I'll eventually get a Jet Boil for this type of thing, but when electricity is available, the hot pot is clean and easy. I'd definitely recommend these meals, although the high sodium content is geared towards people who have been doing physical activity (and sweating). This experience gave me more confidence in storing these MH meals for emergencies. I bought an extra 2-serving Breakfast Scramble so my wife can try it out this weekend.

On a related note, I saw that the MH Just In Case Essential Bucket has dropped from its usually price (~$60) down to $53.13 (with free shipping) on Amazon:

Mountain House Just In Case...Essential Bucket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00955337I..._nmmqybT098QVJ

Dave
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 02-19-17 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    Excellent post Op very informative
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just a quick update - can’t believe it’s been two years since the last activity in this thread. I purchased three blue WaterBricks from Amazon last September as a hurricane was rolling toward the East Coast (what better time to justify buying more gear?). I was reluctant to try them at first because they seemed expensive and just kind of bulky for the amount of water they hold (3.5 gallons), but I thought I’d give them a shot. They were also a little cheaper at the time - $18.99 - while they seem to be averaging $25+ nowadays. In brief, what I like about them is that they’re stackable (the obvious feature) but also lighter than something like a 5 gallon military water can. The lower weight and carrying handle make them easier for some family members to handle. The one complaint I have about them is that because of the way the cap is inset into the end of the brick (for better stacking and storage), the last remnants of water get trapped inside the brick when you pour it out, and you have to give it a good shake to get it all out. Obviously the same would apply to any loose, dry items like rice that you stored in these or the opaque tan WaterBrick version.

I recently purchased two FoodBrick Stackable Food Storage Containers from Amazon, which I’ve added to the original post under storage containers. They are $17 each as of 22 Mar 19, which is the same price I paid for them back in November. I like these a lot, with the big difference being the large, rectangular, airtight lid that makes it easier to fill and empty it when storing dry goods. I’ve been using one for extra cat food to test it out, and it will hold a good month’s worth or so (probably a lot less for a big dog). I like them and will probably order some more while they’re cheap.

Feedback Score
    If you plan on staying in one place, if at all possible, canned goods are a very long life solution---like much processed food, they will be high in salt and probably fat, but this might be a good thing in a survival event situation. I mark my cans with the year I bought them and try to rotate them thru, but sometimes, a can will be missed and you'll find a very old can, like say, a can of soup or refried beans from 10 or more years ago (!). My experience has been, if stored properly, the contents will still be quite eatable---if it looks good and smells good, it's probably OK---pressurized cans are definitely a NO GO! Of course, besides cans, dried stuff like rice, beans, pasta, etc should be part of your program---again, properly stored...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast