Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food Recommendations, Sources, and Long-Term Storage

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The expiration date on can goods is mostly BS, you can go on youtube and find videos of people eating food from the 40's - 50's. It's not all edible but if can is in good shape and it's doesn't smell off it likely won't kill you.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...itary+rations+
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    The expiration date on can goods is mostly BS, you can go on youtube and find videos of people eating food from the 40's - 50's. It's not all edible but if can is in good shape and it's doesn't smell off it likely won't kill you.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...itary+rations+

Expiration dates are a government mandated thing that isn’t really tied to when the food actually goes bad. I have been working in and around the food industry for the last 10 years and you would be surprised on the amount of good food that stores and manufacturers throw out because of that arbitrary date.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    I was in the wholesale food business for many years---we packaged products for major supermarket chain stores---we had no products under our own name, only very large amounts packed for others. We were required by law to include a "Best by" date to be printed on every batch of product---this was done to "insure" freshness and also to identify each batch in case of recall for whatever reason. We just stamped a date one year out from date of packaging---nice and simple, everybody was happy---had absolutely NOTHING to do with when the food was no longer good...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    See if you have a Mormon store in your area (you don’t have to be Mormon to shop there). Good selection of dry goods in #10 cans and better prices than Costco or Amazon. Cases or single cans with 20 year shelf life on a lot of their items. We got sugar, flour, rice, black beans, pinto beans, dehydrated milk, and other items to supplement our emergency food supplies.

Feedback Score
    Dig your own well if you can, it will make you far more independent . Just don't leave it till your ass is on fire.

Feedback Score
    Having a good supply of food is great, but don't forget about cooking it.

I have a good supply of propane for cooking in the summer months, and a wood burner in the workshop that I can cook on in the winter. If I had no power in the winter for an extender period I would probably end up living in the workshop too.

Gas for the chainsaw is a must

Don't forget that canned food would freeze solid if like me you live somewhere cold.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Tagged

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Boon View Post

I have a good supply of propane for cooking in the summer months, and a wood burner in the workshop that I can cook on in the winter. If I had no power in the winter for an extender period I would probably end up living in the workshop too.

Don't forget that canned food would freeze solid if like me you live somewhere cold.

this would include having sufficient water. After what just happened here in TX, safe drinking water is critical.
    going through that event was perhaps to say a good test of my own situation. Everyone talks about "grid down" situations, did it for real this past feb. Guns & ammo for 'grid down'? thats far down on the list. Water, sanitation, are likely in the top 3 concerns. Ever taken a dump in a chem porta pottie when its minus 15 outside because the toilet is non-functional Try it sometime....
    Same for cooking, bottled water doesn't go very far when it comes to cooking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Boon View Post

this would include having sufficient water. After what just happened here in TX, safe drinking water is critical.
    going through that event was perhaps to say a good test of my own situation. Everyone talks about "grid down" situations, did it for real this past feb. Guns & ammo for 'grid down'? thats far down on the list. Water, sanitation, are likely in the top 3 concerns. Ever taken a dump in a chem porta pottie when its minus 15 outside because the toilet is non-functional Try it sometime....
    Same for cooking, bottled water doesn't go very far when it comes to cooking.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Azurestandard is good for bulk purchases if they have meetups in your area. Much cheaper if you buy significant amounts.

countryliving if you don't mind paying a significant amount for shipping

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12