Thread: Which receiver to build on?

Feedback Score

Which receiver to build on?

Hello All,

I've built a few ARs in the past, but they were all carbines, along with one 300blk SBR. My next project is probably going to be a precision 5.56, and I'd like input on which receiver to build it on.

Right now, I have forged lowers from Rainier Arms, Spikes, and Aero Precision. Do any of these have any advantage over the others? Or, is there another lower I should be looking at?

I've always thought that a lower, is a lower, is a lower (except for the 300blk which was a 'premium' build that I spent way too much on), but I've never done anything that was build for precision.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks again,

JRC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Spikes has low shelf for rdias. I don't think the other two do - you should double check, but that is the first advantage that would come to mind.

Feedback Score
    I think I'm missing something. I don't really anticipate putting in RDIAS in A precision rifle and I couldn't afford one anyway :-) Is there some other advantage of the low shelf that I missing?

Feedback Score
    And I guess sort of what I was really asking in my original question is if one lower or upper promotes more accuracy than another lower or upper.

JRC

Feedback Score
    IMHO a lower is a lower if within spec.
    The only true difference in one lower to another is the trigger assembly that you choose to install.

IMHO the BCM4 upper gets my vote for the tighter barrel to upper fit.
    Lija 4 groove AR24 1:8 twist
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle trigger
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    DPMS slick side upper or Mega SBU upper both are thick walled upper receivers DPMS is a bit cheaper if you can find it in stock somewhere. I really don't think the lower makes a difference in accuracy with the exception of a quality trigger that makes a huge difference.