Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I THINK I figured it out but...any help is appreciated.
    Also found a new antenna made for PC or chest rigs with extended X harness. I have NOT tested the SWR on it or any kind of low tech range yet, but the construction is solid. In short, it is literally what we have been waiting for. He's got a Baofeng version. A "Squad Leader" version which is going to be a bit more ruggedized due to the antenna connection, and then the RTO which gives you a QD TNC connector so you could switch say for example, between a PRC-148 and a Baofeng BF-8HP radio. (you'd need an SMA-F to TNC connector but it would totally work)

I'll post a pic of it on my Beez APTUM tomorrow. But here's a link.
    Main link for antennas
    https://caatailantennas.com/products...ctical-antenna

RTO (which uses the QD TNC connector:
    https://caatailantennas.com/collecti...ctical-antenna

Squad leader (if you are going to run a dedicated radio and NOT swap antennas)
    https://caatailantennas.com/products...arable-antenna

And last but not least, let's not forget a discount code. Contacted my bro there and he offered this up for the gang.

discount code: leavedenied

Pics tomorrow!! (I hope i can remember)

I keep saying this but my gear has evolved a few iterations. I need to update this post with my Beez APTUM with comms gear updates (PRC-152) and wearable 2m/70cm radio, manpack version which I am still working on...
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I've only done it manually Sparky. Did you find a cable that works or something or also doing it manually???
    I’m doing it manually as well. It’s working but ok. I’ve just not got any definitions as to the zones and how to designate channels in them. That’s less of a big deal though. I can’t figure out the 2 bands on the screen; one would think vhf on top uhf on bottom but I can program uhf frequencies into channels when the top is selected and it seems to transmit fine. It also seems that if channel numbers are duplicated on the bottom band they’re not transmitted on the frequency that was set on the bottom hand but what was previously stored to that channel number.

That part is not really a big deal as long as it works.

How do you set up those top and bottom bands?

Thanks for the link and discount code. I’ll check that out. I use a 13’ Thales broad band antenna not a blade so I just leave it attached and strap it to my kit shoulder pad since I have an internal side radio pocket. Always up for another option. Lol
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    Bumping this one back up for a minute.

Since getting my TRI 152, I've gotten quite a bit more into radio. At this point, my go-to is a Yaesu FT3DR for HT and Yaesu FTM300 for mobile. But I still like several of the features on the 152 clone for a lot of reasons. Has anyone figured out a way to program it via computer, though? I see that TCA has another similar clone and an acccompanying usb to 6-pin connector for programming, does that work?

I'm happy to program through the front panel if I have to, but I'm finding that the 152 isn't actually saving CTCSS and repeater shift settings for each memory slot.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So the TCA is easier to program thru the keypad thanks the TRI. It’s more like the mil spec Thales radios so I hear though I’ve never used them. I have procured a manual for them and the menus are very similar. I like mine better than the TRI. I have a TCA-52 as well and it’s reasonable to program but only because it has a better manual. If you pm me your email, I’ve got a pdf TCA-148 manual that someone put together that’s light years better than what comes with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hey I wanted to ask this thread if anyone could clarify some of the features a website is advertising for the TCA 152's?

http://shop.specwarfare.com/tca-harr...-metal-version

First off, I'm not a HAM (yet) but I do have experience programing boafengs with chirp.

This shop claims that their 152 replica has the encryption module, and is also waterproof. Is this true? If so; for $230 this is actually a decent radio for the civilian market.

How does the encryption work on these radios?

Also how many watts can they push?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Kinda lame they dont say the wattage (I guess you have to email them), but I can tell you that with a handheld, it isnt about wattage so much as antenna type and height.

Unless they're digital, I can't imagine the "encryption" is anything more than simple voice inversion, which isnt that secure at all.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if it's possible to charge the prc152 batteries with usb?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to charge the prc152 batteries with usb?

I don’t think so depending on which you have. I’m using milspec batteries so I had to get a Harris charger for that off eBay. I’m also noticing that bot the TCA 148 and 152 have a parasitic drain on mil spec batteries. No big deal just annoying. Battery life is great though.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    updates
    TRI an TCA I see some new 2022 versions in the market advertised as 15 watt and KDU compatible.
    Falco Communications System: no updates for a wile.. anyone news about them?
    Last video they send me working on the HF version https://youtu.be/Ii9BcM0kpWs

I found the HF version on Aliexpress for 1000Bucks, I do not trust it: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10050...09976742%22%7D
    Seller claims its the real deal, but he told me no stoc after i ask for a phone video showing the HF bands.

Baofeng AR-152: yeh, cheap but not strong and not close to 15 watts (8 watt max uhf)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I don’t think so depending on which you have. I’m using milspec batteries so I had to get a Harris charger for that off eBay. I’m also noticing that bot the TCA 148 and 152 have a parasitic drain on mil spec batteries. No big deal just annoying. Battery life is great though.
    Ten4. Too bad. Was hoping to be able to hook them up to the solar charging kits for USB. I'll just have to see if they have an adapter for regular AC plugs.

Yeah I noticed mine have a steady drain when left attached to the radio. It wasnt to bad though.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast