Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post

That’s badass! Did you have to mod the cable going into the HF? It looked kinda like you might have spliced in a diff connector. Well done dude!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Affirmative. Yeah, one of the benefits of these radios is the near limitless supply of useful surplus accoutrements for them.

I did mod the cable. The adapter is designed to turn an MBITR battery into a mini BA-5590. I cut the cable, and added the corresponding DC barrel plug to be able to run both my Handheld and HF radios from the same batteries moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    That’s badass! Did you have to mod the cable going into the HF? It looked kinda like you might have spliced in a diff connector. Well done dude!!

Last edited by Outlander Systems; 09-18-19 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattei View Post
    So I got the new TRI 152 in today, and dam... this thing is legit, reminds me of when I did 2 or 4 man recce's.
    Also now TRI released its 343 version which has the duel PTT (and single) function so I can connect the 343 to the 152... this is going to make me start playing airsoft or something idk, so much room for activities...
    Thru are super solid radios no doubt. On our last FTX we did some drills using our comms on a night shoot w/ Nods, 2 man. “Shoot, move and communicate”. It was pretty awesome. Like I hadn’t don’t anything like that since I was sporting my woodland cammies.

I want to test out the range of the radio on high power just to see what it can do. Back in the beginning of this thread Euro and Outlander had some some testing and their feedback was super positive in terms of range and all. And of course Euro shot his 148 and it continued to work (Rx only) not to mention throwing it in a creek and all sorts of abuse and continue to Tx/Rx. I looked st the PRC/343 briefly, but it was determined that it was too gay. Did you see Outlanders vid using the “comsec” on the radio? He used the analog crypto setting on the radio. While we can’t load comsec, that can help secure our comms a lot better than talking in PT.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Affirmative. Yeah, one of the benefits of these radios is the near limitless supply of useful surplus accouterments for them.

I did mod the cable. The adapter is designed to turn an MBITR battery into a mini BA-5590. I cut the cable, and added the corresponding DC barrel plug to be able to run both my Handheld and HF radios from the same batteries moving forward.
    Very slick! Did you happen to get any capacity gains with the mbitr battery?
    Capacity in my “non-commo daddy” mind meaning more charging cycles/capability?

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    For sure. The 148 batteries are monsters at 4.8 Ah. The internal battery of this particular HF radio is 3.8; so the MBITR battery effectively adds an additional 10 hours of use-time for the X5105, on top of its internal battery.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Very slick! Did you happen to get any capacity gains with the mbitr battery?
    Capacity in my “non-commo daddy” mind meaning more charging cycles/capability?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Got this up and running at lunch.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So that's very interesting, I have one of those boxes too, though I've mainly just used it with handsets.

Now you just need a VIC-1 in between the two! (Vehicular intercom). Have one in my pinzgauer, but wish I had picked a 2nd one up for the shack PRCs.

I sure wish they would cut over to the DMR chips in the Taiwanese 148 and 152s. Id buy one for sure.

I'm now pretty hard switched over to DMR for ham stuff, though still use FM gmrs on the property. Have multiple tyt 380 handhelds, plus tyt-9600 and cs-800 mobiles in the shack, truck, and a fm tyt 8600 on the tractor.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    So far, after adjusting levels, it transmits great. I need to rig up another HT and check the receive/decode for me to give it a seal-of-approval.

A DMR dual-band version would be pretty legit. A 2m SSB version would really tickle my fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    So that's very interesting, I have one of those boxes too, though I've mainly just used it with handsets.

Now you just need a VIC-1 in between the two! (Vehicular intercom). Have one in my pinzgauer, but wish I had picked a 2nd one up for the shack PRCs.

I sure wish they would cut over to the DMR chips in the Taiwanese 148 and 152s. Id buy one for sure.

I'm now pretty hard switched over to DMR for ham stuff, though still use FM gmrs on the property. Have multiple tyt 380 handhelds, plus tyt-9600 and cs-800 mobiles in the shack, truck, and a fm tyt 8600 on the tractor.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    So, after adjusting levels, I was able to get the device to transmit/receive various digital modes using FLDigi.

Only negative I’ve encountered so far is getting the levels set up and the PTT to transmit.

Last edited by Outlander Systems; 09-23-19 at 20:04.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Digital mode update. Using the adapter/interface shown below corrected all issues with I/O signal levels. Levels are normalized compared to the relatively low output audio being sent directly to the radio via jumper. By running the CW Adapter Unit to the radio via jumper, and feeding the GD Box via the Audio line out, the input/output levels are in-line with what should be used for digital modes. I'd have no problem confidently using the below configuration, effectively, for NBEMS.

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast