Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I ran across this the other day and picked one up. I connected to an 8w Baofeng I had and the the xmit results of the 8w radio were very impressive so I picked one up for my 152. Hopefully I can do little testing this week and compare capability versus the antenna currently on my radio. I’ll post up updates when I do. I like this antenna because it’s super flexible and I think it will hold up well routed through the antenna channels on my chest rig harness. Here’s the link. I’m not 100% sure what it brings to the table but I’m pretty optimistic. As soon as I have some results I’ll post results.

https://signalstuff.com/antennas/
    I run this with BNC on an ICOM handheld, it's durable.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Just got a couple of new (2019 Vintage) TCA PRC-148 MBITR Clones. These were released this month.

Haven't had a chance to really suss it out yet; however a couple of standouts upon initial assessment:

Better Machining
    Better Anodizing
    Louder internal speaker
    Potentiometer is more crisp
    Screen more evenly illuminated
    Comes with an 18650 Adapter Battery Pack
    Comes in a hard-shell, Pelican-style case
    Battery pack has a USB adapter to charge phones/devices from the radio’s battery
    8 Crypto Settings
    Multiple repeater settings
    5 power output settings (0.1W - 8W)

Haven't had the opportunity to delve too deep into the menus, yet. The manual is hot garbage so I'm going to have to figure things out on my own.

It’s way more streamlined than the TRI 148’s FPP.

You have two menu modes.

One to set global parameters like Wideband/Narrowband/key-functions, etc.

You have a secondary mode that only adjusts channel-specific settings like Frequency/CTCSS, etc.

So for example, on the TRI, all settings are in one menu, and it has to be changed per that menu to be written to a channel. The TCA’s menu system allows you to set all global settings separately from channel-specific settings.

The TCA also has 8 zones or banks to which you can assign 16 channels per bank. The channel function on the TCA is effectively identical to the JEM/MBITR, in terms of channel management.

Other odds/ends so far:

When you key up, all the data/parameters related to that channel are displayed, including power level, TX Freq/RX Freq, etc.

It has VOX, so if you end up running this with the GD interface you don’t have to manually key up to TX.

There’s about 4 or 5 different repeater settings as well as a RELAY function, none of which I’ve had the chance to monkey with yet.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 11-20-19 at 20:33.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the review, Outlander, but you have caused me to be more discouraged.
    For better than a month now I have been working with a China seller on getting TRI AN/PRC-148, and Customs (pretty sure there) has rejected shipping twice. So, with more money thrown at the customs problem I "may" get one in the next two weeks.
    With all the attention on the 152's, I was feeling way behind all the cool kids on the block already, but...I really like the black brick.

Now, you show us an improved 148 that I want even more! It's my own fault, but with all the effort it is taking to get one of these OUT of China, I might have been better off putting that effort into obtaining a TCA version.

Feedback Score
    TRI AN/PRC-148 UV has arrived, third time through customs was the charm.
    I was disappointed that "Thales" logo wasn't hiding under the TRI sticker, but it seems like some of them do and some don't.
    Amateur License-General class obtained.
    Thales Speaker Mic and earpiece.
    MCA PRC U94 PTT and Invisio earpiece.
    H350 phone set just in case.

I can't yet add anything else about it that hasn't been covered here. It's a solid unit and I'm looking forward to working with it.
    Last edited by ReverseEngineerNT; 12-15-19 at 19:55.

Feedback Score
    Outlander, where did you source the TCA 148 radios??

Feedback Score
    Been working with the TRI AN/PRC-148 for about a month now. Local HAM guys on the repeater think I paid way too much for a HT, but.

Obtained two Thales Li-Ion 4.8 batteries, Both perform as per Thales spec. I run monitor in the car all week, occasional transmit, 12-14 hours and they go flat.

I really like the option of the A123 battery case. They go a couple hours less than the Li-Ions. Same batts I have on hand for the SureFire weapon lights. Downside is it adds 3/4 inch to the length, and radio holsters no longer fit.

Programmed in 12 different local repeater frequencies, with 8 different PL-CTS, and three different offsets. All store and save in channel memory great. Once saved, there is no way to look at WHAT I saved for each channel, though. TCA sounds better in that area since it shows those parameters on key up.

I nearly have the side connector pin out deciphered. I’ll figure that out and put it to use.

KE8NOR
    Last edited by ReverseEngineerNT; 01-13-20 at 08:05. Reason: Forgot a piece of information

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverseEngineerNT View Post
    Thank you for the review, Outlander, but you have caused me to be more discouraged.
    For better than a month now I have been working with a China seller on getting TRI AN/PRC-148, and Customs (pretty sure there) has rejected shipping twice. So, with more money thrown at the customs problem I "may" get one in the next two weeks.
    With all the attention on the 152's, I was feeling way behind all the cool kids on the block already, but...I really like the black brick.

Now, you show us an improved 148 that I want even more! It's my own fault, but with all the effort it is taking to get one of these OUT of China, I might have been better off putting that effort into obtaining a TCA version.
    What kind of customs issues did you have? The effort I've seen is clicking the add to cart button and paying for it. I've bought a couple, another buddy bought 2-3 and those all shipped without any issues.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Seller was very good communicating with me, so I trusted what they told me. Twice, they would ship with DHL as normal. Customs was now recently rejecting the package, and sending it back to the seller. Part of it was because they declared it contained a loose battery.

Third time through, the seller threw extra money at customs, and it made it here. I partly attributed it to the unsettled trade agreements with them and customs taking advantage of it.

Glad you and others are getting them easy. I was chalking it up to my bad luck and a sign I wasn’t meant to have one.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    There was a recent FCC policy enacted around 30SEP last year that may have started causing issues for imports on these.

It took over two months for my recent 148 to get here.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseEngineerNT View Post
    Seller was very good communicating with me, so I trusted what they told me. Twice, they would ship with DHL as normal. Customs was now recently rejecting the package, and sending it back to the seller. Part of it was because they declared it contained a loose battery.

Third time through, the seller threw extra money at customs, and it made it here. I partly attributed it to the unsettled trade agreements with them and customs taking advantage of it.

Glad you and others are getting them easy. I was chalking it up to my bad luck and a sign I wasn’t meant to have one.

Feedback Score
    Hi Guys, Is the TRI-152 H version with the 10 meter band still available somewhere? And is it AM and/or FM and can it do the CB band as well?
    Any reviews on it? I have a hard time to find the right 152 radio.

Best regards,

Victor
    The Netherlands

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast