Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Damn, 15 watts by my head....no thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I looked at the specs on that AR-152...

IF.... IF .... the advertised specs are actually accurate its kinda a mixed bag with this thing.

15W is a lot. Like my Caatail antenna is only rated for 10W max. So if its really pushing 15W then you might have to even worry about if the antenna your attaching will be able to handle it. For comparison the real deal 152 only operates on 5W with a 10W burst mode for hitting sats. 15W will drain a battery quickly and the idea that it will even extend range much is dubious at best. Me and a friend where testing the range of our Boafengs in the city and jumping from 1W to 8W barely got us another 1/4 mile in urban range.

It has a standard 2 pin. I thought most people wanted a good 152 replica to use their surplus head sets? I guess you could get a connector. Not truly end of the world.

Huge battery life. Like if you turn it down to a regular 5W Tx, you would be able to stay in the field for days.

I think at the end of the day this radio is more for someone looking to "look" the part. It's for milsim/airsofters/reinactors/cloners/whatevers.

Personally a Uv9R does all I need. 8W max and has long enough battery life, and durable. Also fits in a single M4 pouch unlike a 152.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    It has a standard 2 pin. I thought most people wanted a good 152 replica to use their surplus head sets?
    The 2 pin is a big plus in my book, those clumsy army surplus headsets suck anyway, now you can connect a quallity speakermike or headset :-)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah I have no problem with the Kenwood 2-pin.

Indeed, multiple spare batteries for a smaller radio keeps you up in the field for days, and will still weigh less than that thing.

And yes, so true that more power won't extend your range, it's only more power with a bigger, and/or higher antenna that does that.

One of my radios can go from 5 watts to 8, but it only makes a difference when I've got it connected to an auxiliary, like a slim jim up on a mast or in a tree.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Having been issued a Motorola radio for the last 20 years, I'm just getting into private comms. I've always fiddled with FRS/GMRS stuff (and maybe the...ahem...occasional in-car tac radio,) but really studying the HAM stuff and expanding comms is of the utmost importance now. Luckily I have a couple HAM guys who are helping and answering questions. I'm going the dual band DMR route to have the most capability and interconnectability with "other" users, so I went with a Baofeng DM-1701.

I wholeheartedly believe that some countrywide networking and coordination is in order.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Found this good review on YT about the new AR-152.

The guy actually tested the output and claims its 8W; so it won't burn up your antenna like a 15W output might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s24honzEeRM
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    I got 11 Watts on UHF out of it.

p.s have you guys seen this?
    Two interesting item
    10 Meter Prc152: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10050...4f6e2e0ePccwoY
    Last edited by Bitcoin; 12-08-21 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    Is there any more info about those TCA 148's?

I see the 'relay' option on one of the online manuals. Is that to say the TCA PRC-148 works like a repeater? If so that's pretty damn cool.

Just trying to find more info about these things. Where to order, how to use them, how to program, etc...

Feedback Score
    No, it seems the not made a new version for a wile :-(

Feedback Score
    How about experience between the TCA or TRI PRC-152? Sounds like people say the TCA is a better radio, even if you don’t get 15 watts. What is your preference?

I ordered a TCA PRC-148, but I’m still curious about the difference between the 152’s as well. Too bad Outlander isn’t here any more to keep the information flowing.

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast