Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I read it uses a sim card. Couldn’t find anything else, though.

Feedback Score
    yes, 3G or 4G and uhf

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitcoin View Post
    What is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Found a add here with more info: https://ebay.us/cRXrHq

G6 Walkie Talkie Handheld Transceiver 5000KM 10W Wearable Two Way Radio Transceiver 400-470Mhz

Features:
    - 4G full Netcom/6800mAh
    - Metal structure
    - Dual PTT free switching
    - High-quality sound, shocking
    - China's senior sound designer leads the design
    - PTT voice preemption application, management and command efficiency is higher. Quickly call and switch groups
    - 6.5cm/2.6". Small size makes it easy to operate
    - Top with PTT button
    - Multiple arm wearing methods
    - Type-C fast charging, convenient and fast. Can be charged by Type-c, car charger, power bank, computer
    - Suitable for hiking, climbing, road trips, riding and outdoor activities

Specifications:
    - Model: G6
    - Network type: 4G
    - Walkie-talkie category: handheld transceiver
    - Talking distance: 5000KM
    - Display: Yes
    - Voltage: 220V
    - Targetable: Yes
    - Smart type: does not support smart
    - Battery capacity: 6800mAh
    - Explosion-proof: No
    - Walkie-talkie power: 8W (not included) -10W (included)
    - Intercom mechanism: public network
    - Flashlight light source type: not supported
    - Frequency range: 400-470Mhz

Package Included:
    - 2 x Set of Walkie Talkie

Feedback Score
    Ah, it's actually easy enough to find on Google.
    The battery capacity is way nice, 10W is noteworthy, and it's a neat design. I like that it's rechargeable by USB. If the quality is there this seems like a really good option for non-nerdy family members, like what we wish those FRS blister-pack radios were.

Seems like a different market than the PRC radios in this thread, though.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Late to the party. Whatchyu got, hoss?

Quote Originally Posted by goatmurray View Post
    How about experience between the TCA or TRI PRC-152? Sounds like people say the TCA is a better radio, even if you don’t get 15 watts. What is your preference?

I ordered a TCA PRC-148, but I’m still curious about the difference between the 152’s as well. Too bad Outlander isn’t here any more to keep the information flowing.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Personally I like my TCA 148 better than the 152. Instructions are non existent for the 148 but you can adjust the channels from the top so no need to remove it from the pouch. The 152 you have to at least reach down the side and use the buttons. Your call. The 152 has better instructions and is probably easier to program if you follow the manual but…

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Can someone just tell me what radio to buy?

Ultimately I need it to work within the 70cm UHF band (I don’t know what that means).

And if I can’t hook it up to my connectorized amps, I’m not even going to bother. Big plus to work with a standard 6 pin PTT.

I’d kind of prefer something like a 152 since I’m not that radio savvy and any familiarity would be a big plus. If there was a near clone to the 152 that functions well and is already compatible with my PTTs, that’d be great. I’d take it even if it has the same cons as the 152 (buttons as noted above). But I don’t know how well those work since most people seem to care about Bfengs and Ysuns.

Immediate goal is to use it in the 9/11 run n gun (Matt recommended the B U5-VR or the Y VX-7R) but the lack of cell service that I’ve had here in CO and while training elsewhere, plus the growing concern about basic preps, has me looking at comms as the next step for survivability in a shit situation with my wife. Would probably buy 2-4 if I like them.

But I don’t really have time to get super deep into all of that now so if anyone just wants to point me to one, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-25-22 at 20:43.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    @Wake27, I will admit that I am learning all of this as well, as I am just getting my personal comms set up. I’ve been using Motorola public safety radios for 20 years, but this ham stuff is new to me.

70cm should be the FRS/GMRS and UHF business band. For example, my (redacted) runs a Motorola XPR 6550 with all of those freqs programmed, without tones, and with a few MOTOTRBO digital channels. This way we can talk to anyone with FRS/GMRS on their set up.

One question to ask whomever you might be talking to on the other end would be whether or not you’d be on analog (think regular FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios) or digital. That will make a difference as to what radio you buy.

When it comes to plugging in to earpro, that’s where things start to get complicated. Military 6/10 pin does not interface with basically all of the commercially available radios. You would need to buy an adapter for it to work. If you are running a U94 downlead, you’ll most likely need an amped PTT as well. When it comes to connectors, Baofeng and the like mostly use Kenwood two prong connectors, with some of the more industrial radios using Motorola XPR 3000 series connectors.

If you can list what equipment you have that you’re wanting to integrate, and clarify what freqs/channels you’ll be using, I’m sure we can help with a solution.

Any other radio geeks better at this than me, please correct me if I have something wrong. Like I said, I’m still new, but I’ve playing this out the last year or so, so it’s fairly fresh.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast