Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Coworker has a JTAC buddy in town that will let me try a couple of his on the radio. I went ahead and ordered a U-94 ptt anyways, if the issue is the ptt I have now then I can scrap it for parts and stick with the U-94. If its the radio, then I will have a backup ptt when another radio arrives to replace the faulty one. Maybe Ill get lucky and someone will offer me $800 for this one!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but what can these MBITR clone radios do that a far cheaper ICOM F3S/F4S radio can't do? I got my ICOM F4S hooked up to a Sordin single comm with TP120 plug and a Nexus U94 PTT. Pretty solid intrasquad comms setup.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedHot View Post
    Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but what can these MBITR clone radios do that a far cheaper ICOM F3S/F4S radio can't do? I got my ICOM F4S hooked up to a Sordin single comm with TP120 plug and a Nexus U94 PTT. Pretty solid intrasquad comms setup.
    Over twice the amount of output power. Fully submersible. Larger frequency range. Way more rugged. Fully integrates with all .mil hardware. I'll let OS get into the nuts and bolts of it.

What does price have to do with anything?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Roger that.

I don't know if the availability has gotten better, but they were pretty difficult to come by a while back; a training company bought mine off me for $800.
    Bought your PRC-148?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Depends. Is 9mm better than .45?

Benefits, as *I* see them:

If someone knows of an HT radio with a bigger battery, let me know. This is a huge plus for field-use.

Cross-band repeat.
    Submersible.
    Multi-Band: UHF/VHF/Air Band
    Built like a brick.
    Works with cheap milsurp goodies.
    10W PEP

I was a greedy pig and sold mine to buy a fancy-assed mobile radio. I'll absolutely pick up another prick clone, because there isn't an existing ham HT that does what the 148 does for *my* wants and wishes as an analog dual-bander.

If I had an unlimited budget, I would be on the Batwing APX7000 like Euro on some audits. Unfortunately, that's not even remotely feasible until they are superseded and surplus radios start hitting fleabay. ~3k for a handheld is just slightly out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Over twice the amount of output power. Fully submersible. Larger frequency range. Way more rugged. Fully integrates with all .mil hardware. I'll let OS get into the nuts and bolts of it.

What does price have to do with anything?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Affirmative. Training company out of [REDACTED US ARMY INSTALLATION] bought it for fat stacks.

I then proceeded to fund a nice Digital rig with whiz-bang shit like telemetry, dispatching, file-transfers, route monitoring and remote-control.

You start messing with some of the newfangled digital stuff, and you can do some REALLY cool things...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Bought your PRC-148?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Affirmative. Training company out of [REDACTED US ARMY INSTALLATION] bought it for fat stacks.

I then proceeded to fund a nice Digital rig with whiz-bang shit like telemetry, dispatching, file-transfers, route monitoring and remote-control.

You start messing with some of the newfangled digital stuff, and you can do some REALLY cool things...

This can give you C4I capability in small unit...Is that what you're....

Sending PM.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    TOCRoaches FTMFW!!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Got the U94 today, went on absolutely no issues.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Good to hear. I had a feeling it was the female end that was giving you issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnkey11 View Post
    Got the U94 today, went on absolutely no issues.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast