Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 73 ELD Match bullets

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phidelt208 View Post
    I"m in a similar boat I really wanted to like the 73 ELD out of my AR but they where all horrible groups.
    I tested 3 shot, and 5 shot groups at 100 and 200 yards with 8208, CFE223, Varget, 4166, Tac, H322, and Benchmark.
    Out of two uppers, the best groups would only hold 1.5 MOA.
    I"m going back to 75 HPBT and 77 Match kings.
    77 grain SMK's and Noslers CC are solid performers for most if not all.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    How do the H 75grHPBT perform? I've not reloaded them. SMKs are getting really damn expensive, I love em but jeez, really!! Everywhere I'm looking they're hovering around $175, BS. Didn't have good luck with Noslers CC heavies, might try again though if I can't find another heavy to use, that performs.
    Bergersen? All I know is I'll not buy another ELD bullet in any weight, with any tip for any price. Sorry but those things just were sad.
    A few of my best groups have been with the standard Hornady 75gr HPBT. They are good value. IMO.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    A few of my best groups have been with the standard Hornady 75gr HPBT. They are good value. IMO.
    I have also had good results with them. My buddy and I shot the H 68gr and 69gr SMK back to back at 100 yards and had the same results for both. Maybe it would be different if we stretched out to 300, but I kind of doubt it.

Feedback Score
    Just wanted to post a workup I ran through recently with the 73gr ELD-M, 8208 XBR, LC 15 Brass, and WSR primers.
    5 groups of 5 with the following loads:

21.5gr
    21.6gr
    22.0gr
    22.4gr
    22.8gr

Saw a good group at 21.6 and at 22.8. No pressure signs even at max. I'm going to load some more at 22.8 and 23.0 next trip and also get some chrono data.
    I'm actually pretty impressed with the group at 22.8gr seeing that this bullet is having to jump 0.1+

73grEldm8208.jpg

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djmurf View Post
    Just wanted to post a workup I ran through recently with the 73gr ELD-M, 8208 XBR, LC 15 Brass, and WSR primers.
    5 groups of 5 with the following loads:

21.5gr
    21.6gr
    22.0gr
    22.4gr
    22.8gr

Saw a good group at 21.6 and at 22.8. No pressure signs even at max. I'm going to load some more at 22.8 and 23.0 next trip and also get some chrono data.
    I'm actually pretty impressed with the group at 22.8gr seeing that this bullet is having to jump 0.1+

73grEldm8208.jpg
    These are some good groups, what rig did you use to wack them with.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    These are some good groups, what rig did you use to wack them with.

PB
    It's a Ballistic Advantage 18" premium barrel in an Aero upper/lower.
    I've been really happy with that barrel. I have a good 77gr Sierra load that I've been using for it, but my 77gr stash just ran dry and I've been looking at some of the newer tips out there.
    I picked up some of the 73's and then started reading up on them. After some of the posts I've seen, I wasn't expecting much out of them, but I've been pleased with the groups it has shot so far... I just hope they are reproducible!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I look forward to seeing the chrono data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I look forward to seeing the chrono data.
    When I get it, I'll definitely post it. Hopefully I'll be able to get out to the range next weekend. Wanted to get to the range tomorrow, but we got about a foot of snow dropped on us here in the Midwest last night...

Feedback Score
    I just found a box of these 73's I'd picked up several months ago and forgotten about maybe if I get time I'll load some up and see how they do looking at lot of the results my hopes aren't very high.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't have much to contribute about the 73 ELD's except that the standard 75 HPBT's are cheaper and shoot surprisingly well. I have had them out to 650 yds with excellent results. They start getting squirrelly over 700 yds out my 18" barrel but I have scored to occasional hit out to 900 yds with optimum conditions.

Have any of you guys tried Varget or H4895 under these? I have had excellent luck with H4895 and found it to be more forgiving in terms of accuracy nodes than "peakier" powders like 8208 XBR.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast