Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got my new Colt 6920

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    Yeah, that’s f’ed up. If the op’s lower looks anything like that, i guess I couldn’t see it in his pics.

Then again, i’d probably keep your lower as it is, because I’m kinda perverse that way. But you’re totally justified in sending it back.
    Mine looked exactly like that but only in the area above the trigger pin. From the trigger pin down it was decent. I couldn’t get good photos. One I sent it in, Colt acknowledged it shouldn’t have passed inspection.
    Owner of Carolina Laser Works
    https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com

Feedback Score
    Based on the “pitting” around the bolt release on mine, I think marks are from trying to remove forging defects that probably should have caused the recivers to be trashed from the get go. So I’m thinking this is either a directive from management or some I’ll informed workers and/or inspectors.

I was hoping this was an issue related to trying to pump out a bunch of rifles pre election but it appears to still be happening.

I also didn’t get a good feeling when the CS guy said at the beginning of our conversation “the gun is past our 1 year warranty”. First I didn’t know Colt went to a one year warranty and second my rifle was bought before went into effect ...according to my research after the call.

In any event, the receiver is there and was signed for yesterday morning. Hopefully they make good on it.
    Last edited by OldState; 12-07-18 at 08:56.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Wow, a one year warranty, I didn’t have a clue they went to this either.

Feedback Score
    Just got a letter from Colt today. I assume this means they are replacing it. Says “replace lower adjust to factory specs”. Not 100% that statement means what they intend to do or what they are saying I am asking them to do.

@charliedeltajuliet, did you get a letter like this?
    D2EB71A1-7651-4907-A624-25868BEDBCF3.jpg
    Last edited by OldState; 12-13-18 at 22:10.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I didn’t get a letter. I was communicating via email, but the CS rep called me to tell me they were replacing it. I received the rifle about a week later.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Seems like everything is working out just fine. Good to hear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDeltaJuliet View Post
    I didn’t get a letter. I was communicating via email, but the CS rep called me to tell me they were replacing it. I received the rifle about a week later.
    Ok. I went back through this thread and noticed that they issued you an entirely new lower receiver. If that is what they do for me I’m wondering if the lower would count as a “virgin” lower and could be built up as a pistol while I wait on my form 1.
    Did they ship directly to you or did you have to transfer it though an FFL because of the new serial number? I had to send a Kimber 1911 (series 1 ) back about 18 years ago and they replaced the entire pistol requiring me to transfer it. I think I will call them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Seems like everything is working out just fine. Good to hear.
    I hope. I really do like Colt and have recommended them to many people. A friend who is LE just bought a CCU on my recommendation. Also, as a history buff, I’ll admit I’m a bit nostalgic about companies like Colt. I hope everything works out.

Feedback Score
    Just an update for anyone interested. Just got off the phone with Colt CS since they were on vacation since the 17th.

Looks like they are definitely replacing the lower with a new one and new serial number. The guy I talked to (Steve) was real nice and said the custom shop will select a new receiver and make sure I get a good one. He mentioned the old one “slipping out” of production ....so it’s good to know Colt doesn’t think that these issues are acceptable.

We actually talked about the new serial number and if the receiver would be considered “virgin”. He said he wasn’t sure but it would have an LE serial number. However, he did say if the ATF was to inquire about the lower, Colt would NOT have recorded it as a completed rifle. Also, it would have to be transferred via a FFL. PA doesn’t designate a lower receiver as anything but “other” but I’m not 100% sure this could be built up as a pistol while I wait for my form 1.

In any event, Colt seems to be making good so my faith is restored. It’s also encouraging to hear that Colt, unlike some people on this forum, does NOT think that rifles going out with forging, gouges, and file marks is OK.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Just an update for anyone interested. Just got off the phone with Colt CS since they were on vacation since the 17th.

Looks like they are definitely replacing the lower with a new one and new serial number. The guy I talked to (Steve) was real nice and said the custom shop will select a new receiver and make sure I get a good one. He mentioned the old one “slipping out” of production ....so it’s good to know Colt doesn’t think that these issues are acceptable.

We actually talked about the new serial number and if the receiver would be considered “virgin”. He said he wasn’t sure but it would have an LE serial number. However, he did say if the ATF was to inquire about the lower, Colt would NOT have recorded it as a completed rifle. Also, it would have to be transferred via a FFL. PA doesn’t designate a lower receiver as anything but “other” but I’m not 100% sure this could be built up as a pistol while I wait for my form 1.

In any event, Colt seems to be making good so my faith is restored. It’s also encouraging to hear that Colt, unlike some people on this forum, does NOT think that rifles going out with forging, gouges, and file marks is OK.
    Glad to see they're taking care of you. I've never known a replacement lower having to go through an ffl holder. Perhaps it's the new serial number deal. Lastly, what I bolded in your text is interesting in that by inference, they knowingly have bad lowers ready for shipment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Glad to see they're taking care of you. I've never known a replacement lower having to go through an ffl holder. Perhaps it's the new serial number deal. Lastly, what I bolded in your text is interesting in that by inference, they knowingly have bad lowers ready for shipment.
    The FFL issue came up when I asked if the lower would have a new serial number. When he said yes I then asked about needing an FFL and he replied “yes, it would then”.

As for the bad lowers part...maybe I didn’t describe that clearly. That came up because I asked him “hey, I assume someone is going to pick me a winner?” He said yes because all issues like mine are handed by the custom department and a guy there who is taking care of my problem needs to go pick a lower to replace it. He said something like “a custom shop guy will pick your replacement. Not a assembly worker like the one who missed your old lower and let it go out the door.” Paraphrasing there.

After talking to him I got the vibe that Colt wouldn’t be to happy with the comments you hear on forums like “if you are going to get upset about fit, finish, scratches and scrapes Colt may not be for you”. I don’t think they want that kind of “endorsement” from their customers nor do they want that reputation.
    Last edited by OldState; 01-03-19 at 18:20.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast