Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
Thanks to all for suggstions on different HPs I might try, but that wasn't what my initial question was about. I'm not looking for another HP to replace my SBGDs. I know there are several to choose from, and I've tested most.

My feeling is that no HP can be expected to reliably and consistently expand when fired from a sub-2" barrel if...

The ambient temperature is "cold" and the gun is not carried IWB (where you body will warm the rounds) and
The bullet needs to pass through heavy barriers likely to be encountered by heavy winter-style clothing or
When having to shoot through a car's side window (from inside out)

My ammo requirements...

Shoots to my sights (POA=POI)
Has sufficient mass to offer FBI minimum penetration after passing through the above barriers

I currently carry 148gr WCs, as they meet most of my requirement. While they don't expand, they cut a full caliber hole (larger than a RN and larger than a HP that fails to expand), have low recoil in my 15 oz gun, shoot to my sights, and have adequate penetration.

The down side is that they tend to have relatively low velocity - 700 FPS (+-). Even the cold and "slow" GDs are moving faster.

My question...

Will WCs work in the above scenario, or should I switch to either a heavier round (158gr LSWC) or a bonded round (135gr +P SBGD)? Or am I over thinking this and just continue to use what I shoot fastest and most accurately?
For YOUR personal requirements, I would stick with the 148 gr WC and rock on.