Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post

I dunno. Same event as the last one. Can’t wait to try it again with more ability to put lots of light exactly where I want it this year...and a better idea of where they are pointed at various parts of the course.

I don’t really love this one, but felt like if I’m going to be handing out criticism I should throw some of my shots out there...and this one was on my phone for some reason.
    At a certain point, technical merit is outweighed by the subject matter itself. I think this is one of those cases. While there are various aspects of lighting that could be different, or hints of blur, or a desire to catch the balloon as it is about to pop... those things still pale to the point of knowing exactly what is going on in the image. This is very nice.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    At a certain point, technical merit is outweighed by the subject matter itself. I think this is one of those cases. While there are various aspects of lighting that could be different, or hints of blur, or a desire to catch the balloon as it is about to pop... those things still pale to the point of knowing exactly what is going on in the image. This is very nice.
    Thank you, and that’s an excellent point...I need to remember that when thinking about my own work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was heading out to the range and had started to get my stuff together. I liked the way the natural light was hitting it thru the window, so I snapped a quick iPhone pic. (iPhone 7). I like the rustic feel of the wood as a backdrop. I can't recall if I tweaked anything, If I did it was with the Apple Photos App.

Last edited by boomer223; 02-13-19 at 06:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A couple more iPhone shots from back in my instagram days (cthomas791). I don't have the originals, and found these by searching my #. This thread is making me kick my self for not saving any of the originals. I had a few more that were pretty neat...

Attempting to showcase the oil with the "Being on guard" concept...

My sprayed-in Bedliner made for a really cool background. I did a bunch of similar shots with my SBR but I can't find them...
    This was my 19L (17 Grip-chop to accept 19 mags). I ended up donating this one to a vet charity.
    Last edited by boomer223; 02-13-19 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was going to follow you but I’m not sure that your Instagram name is correct. Showed zero posts to me when I looked it up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I was going to follow you but I’m not sure that your Instagram name is correct. Showed zero posts to me when I looked it up.
    Sorry - I should have clarified that I’m no longer on Instagram, or Facebook for that matter. The extended family political bickering kinda took the fun out of it.

FYI - if you do a google search for Instagram and your user name it will show you a bunch of other websites that use IG’s images. (I had no clue until I did it myself)
    Last edited by boomer223; 02-13-19 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4t5acp@gmail.com View Post
    Sorry - I should have clarified that I’m no longer on Instagram, or Facebook for that matter. The extended family political bickering kinda took the fun out of it.

FYI - if you do a google search for Instagram and your user name it will show you a bunch of other websites that use IG’s images. (I had no clue until I did it myself)
    I hear you. I don’t Facebook for that reason.

It appears you’re absolutely right. I’m about to do a dig into the feasibility of suing some folks.

I know you don’t give up copyright when posting to Instagram, and they have some language about content may be reposted...but that’s generally understood to mean that they aren’t liable if someone reposts without permission.

Richard Prince’s defense doesn’t really apply to what I’m seeing out there. And frankly I disagree with the court’s findings in his various cases.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was heading out to the range and had started to get my stuff together. I liked the way the natural light was hitting it thru the window, so I snapped a quick iPhone pic. (iPhone 7). I like the rustic feel of the wood as a backdrop. I can't recall if I tweaked anything, If I did it was with the Apple Photos App.

Good eye for lighting. The colors are over done in some areas, and muted in others, but that is just how it goes sometimes. I agree with you, the natural lighting works well in a shot like this.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A couple more iPhone shots from back in my instagram days (cthomas791). I don't have the originals, and found these by searching my #. This thread is making me kick my self for not saving any of the originals. I had a few more that were pretty neat...

Attempting to showcase the oil with the "Being on guard" concept...

My sprayed-in Bedliner made for a really cool background. I did a bunch of similar shots with my SBR but I can't find them...
    This was my 19L (17 Grip-chop to accept 19 mags). I ended up donating this one to a vet charity.

Always hard for me to really get a feel for images which have a filter thrown on them. Do you look at the filtered image, the original shot, or something else? In the world of IG, even I use filters every once in awhile. It isn't a matter of overly wanting to, but if people enjoy a filtered look, it is easy enough to give it to them. With that in mind, I think those two filtered shots are pretty decent.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast