Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, that is the organization. I've been doing the graphic design and covers for almost 30 years. I do some of the cover photos, but a large percentage are submitted by authors of articles about their various firearms/blades.

I first bought a BFS for my 6945 last year and really liked the improved semi trigger and the binary mode is really amazing for double tapping steel. I enjoyed the one in the AR enough to research the HK version on HKPro to see what owners had to say.
    The Franklin's improvement of the semi trigger action in the Z-5P is even more pronounced than in my Colt. Binary in the pistol is going to take more practice to get to the same level of rapid double tap as the rifle, but the practicing is damn fun. That is the main reason for the sling in the photo. I might have to SBR this one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not sure how to put into words what I wanted this photo to show. I want to pay my respects to John Moses Browning and his iconic 1911 and when others see the photo, to pause a moment and do the same. Maybe I'm over reaching because I don't feel I have the skill to create the image I'm striving for. The photo was shot with a Nikon 3000 on an overcast day. It was manipulated and cropped with a simple editing program with limited options.

I don't think I got the composition right. I tried to not block the lettering on the headstone, but the reality is, there isn't anywhere to place the 1911 that it wouldn't. Perhaps I should have angled the muzzle of the pistol up?

I don't like the color of the 1911. I would like it better if it were more silver

I'm not sure the letters stand out enough.

I framed the shot too tight, limiting how it could be cropped.

There are spots on the grip that are very distracting.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-03-18 at 21:13.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yes, angle up and just lay the pistol on the stone. Not so centered. I would suggest up and to right because that leaves his name and Jan, Nov exposed. People know a month by the first letters anyway.

But almost anywhere but where it is.

It does have a color cast That I too do not like for the same reason. It doesn't look like stainless and in that context the stainless 'color' would look good imo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Yes, angle up and just lay the pistol on the stone. Not so centered. I would suggest up and to right because that leaves his name and Jan, Nov exposed. People know a month by the first letters anyway.

But almost anywhere but where it is.

It does have a color cast That I too do not like for the same reason. It doesn't look like stainless and in that context the stainless 'color' would look good imo.

Interesting take on it.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm not sure how to put into words what I wanted this photo to show. I want to pay my respects to John Moses Browning and his iconic 1911 and when others see the photo, to pause a moment and do the same. Maybe I'm over reaching because I don't feel I have the skill to create the image I'm striving for. The photo was shot with a Nikon 3000 on an overcast day. It was manipulated and cropped with a simple editing program with limited options.

I don't think I got the composition right. I tried to not block the lettering on the headstone, but the reality is, there isn't anywhere to place the 1911 that it wouldn't. Perhaps I should have angled the muzzle of the pistol up?

I don't like the color of the 1911. I would like it better if it were more silver

I'm not sure the letters stand out enough.

I framed the shot too tight, limiting how it could be cropped.

There are spots on the grip that are very distracting.

While I don’t argue any of your points, it doesn’t change the larger issue is the lighting. In this case, side lighting would have made all the difference in the world.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Interesting take on it.
    ??? I got a different reply in my email. No publications, no commercial photography. Sorry if my comments were out line. It was just an opinion, not professional instruction. I won't post here again. Got a pretty bad batting average.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    ??? I got a different reply in my email. No publications, no commercial photography. Sorry if my comments were out line. It was just an opinion, not professional instruction. I won't post here again. Got a pretty bad batting average.
    The original reply I made was based on a bad assumption on my part, and it very clearly showed what happens when I jump to assumption, because it made an ass out of me. You have a very sincere apology from me. Old injuries were giving me a very hard time last night, which is why I deleted my post right after I made it.

Please forgive a cranky jerk, I do honestly strive do be a better man. Please do not stop posting, there was nothing out of line about your post.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    No problem. Been there and done that more times than I would care to admit. The Internet being what it is I didn't know what to think and I know I crossed wires in the past.

I appreciate your honesty and your craft which is why I visit and enjoy this thread.

Hope you feel better soon. Pain is not a friend and it robs us of who we truly are.

No apology necessary. The clarification is all good. 100%

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

"Critique my firearm picture" thread

I took this photograph for an organization that hires me for three weeks every year, during which I shoot well over 30,000 photographs for them. I have never managed to be in the building for this particular event before as the bulk of what I do happens during the rodeo and concerts, or during the other parts of the horse show and have certainly never attempted to catch muzzle flashes before.

I like that the shooter/rider is backlit with my strobes, and I really like that his face is somewhat lit up with the muzzle flash. I’m relatively pleased with the composition, though I would love to have a remote camera set up on one of the sticks with a super wide angle lens...I’m sure they won’t let me do that though.

I hate that I didn’t have a strobe set up in the corner he’s facing, because the ISO I had to run at left it somewhat grainy. Also if it had been a few fractions of a second later, I might have caught both the balloon popping and the flash. This year, I’m adding about 4000watts of speedotrons to the assortment of Einstein’s and profoto lights I hang in the rafters. Light shall not be lacking again....

I also wish I had his eyes, as I don’t tend to see many things published without eyeballs visible, but in this particular case I overlook that for the rest of the image.

It’s not as hard as catching balls on bats, but challenging nonetheless.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 11-19-18 at 23:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post

I took this photograph for an organization that hires me for three weeks every year, during which I shoot well over 30,000 photographs for them. I have never managed to be in the building for this particular event before as the bulk of what I do happens during the rodeo and concerts, or during the other parts of the horse show and have certainly never attempted to catch muzzle flashes before.

I like that the shooter/rider is backlit with my strobes, and I really like that his face is somewhat lit up with the muzzle flash. I’m relatively pleased with the composition, though I would love to have a remote camera set up on one of the sticks with a super wide angle lens...I’m sure they won’t let me do that though.

I hate that I didn’t have a strobe set up in the corner he’s facing, because the ISO I had to run at left it somewhat grainy. Also if it had been a few fractions of a second later, I might have caught both the balloon popping and the flash. This year, I’m adding about 4000watts of speedotrons to the assortment of Einstein’s and profoto lights I hang in the rafters. Light shall not be lacking again....

I also wish I had his eyes, as I don’t tend to see many things published without eyeballs visible, but in this particular case I overlook that for the rest of the image.

It’s not as hard as catching balls on bats, but challenging nonetheless.
    It looks phenomenal on my iPad, let me get to the large monitors and I’ll give better feedback.
    Stick

Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast