Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Took these pictures to try and sell this gun. It's an early 70s S&W model 66 357mag. Only thing used was a cell phone. I like how it came out .....how the stainless stands out on the dark red counter. In the 1st pic I like how the reflection of the counter makes the edges of the revolver rounded

In pic 2 I like the open cylinder in the background.and it's position in regards to the barrel.

Not sure what I don't like since im not into photography. In pic 2 the revolver is on top of the original box it came in so the light seems more dull and the gun doesn't pop out/stand out as much

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The largest, and most immediate issue with a pic like this is the lack of light. The images become grainy, and very do so very quickly with cell phones showing an overall loss of image quality. Low light also reduces the amount of area which is in focus, which might work for artistic journeys, but fall flat when trying to sell something. For a sales shot, if I were using a phone, I would take the weapon outside for even light. If I couldn't shoot the picture with cloud cover, I would shoot it in the shade.

When shooting pics to sell a pistol, flat shots of each side are most important, with angled shots added to show the barrel crown, grip screws, or other areas added afterwards.

If you look at the first picture, the human eye is drawn to the white wall or area in the upper right. The weapon being shown on the darker background without the white area would have been a much much more compelling picture, and that means sales.

Good looking revolver though, which model and how much did it end up selling for?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The largest, and most immediate issue with a pic like this is the lack of light. The images become grainy, and very do so very quickly with cell phones showing an overall loss of image quality. Low light also reduces the amount of area which is in focus, which might work for artistic journeys, but fall flat when trying to sell something. For a sales shot, if I were using a phone, I would take the weapon outside for even light. If I couldn't shoot the picture with cloud cover, I would shoot it in the shade.

When shooting pics to sell a pistol, flat shots of each side are most important, with angled shots added to show the barrel crown, grip screws, or other areas added afterwards.

If you look at the first picture, the human eye is drawn to the white wall or area in the upper right. The weapon being shown on the darker background without the white area would have been a much much more compelling picture, and that means sales.

Good looking revolver though, which model and how much did it end up selling for?
    Model 66 no dash, 4inch 357 mag. Still have it, never got around to selling it cause I need the lining in the presentation box repaired. Haven't gotten around to that yet...

I do have all the generic flat shots. These two I happen to like the best. The others are typical left side/right side shots

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What would look awesome is the exact same pic and lighting, on something darker. The highlights from the 1911 would have still stood out, but the lighter HK would have stood out more as well. Overall, this pic is better than most I see online.
    Thanks, I have an idea for something better to use as a background next time.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Also curious on how others may have processed it?

Overall, I really like this shot and my buddy was stoked with it.

Cheers.

go to youtube and type Dragan Photoshop. Do that to the shooter.

then look at this and work with some of his ideas.... especially dodge and burn. Dodge the shell casings especially. Crop it in cinematic aspect so it looks like a still from a fantasy type movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFOVLzDfbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0NJdwlySzE

You could even get rid of the gravel ground and paste in a road or cobblestones or a brick walkway to make it look more intense.

The shot looks cool though. You could color the smoke with some different light.

I like processed images, you may not be into that sort of thing.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    In the 1st pic I like how the reflection of the counter makes the edges of the revolver rounded
    Along with what Stickman said about the big white area, I would get rid of the light switch and door jamb.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Along with what Stickman said about the big white area, I would get rid of the light switch and door jamb.
    Yep! I saw that too....of course way after I took the pic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Model 66 no dash, 4inch 357 mag. Still have it, never got around to selling it cause I need the lining in the presentation box repaired. Haven't gotten around to that yet...

I do have all the generic flat shots. These two I happen to like the best. The others are typical left side/right side shots

Very nice, I didn't recognize it as a 66!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice, I didn't recognize it as a 66!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll play along with this very cool thread. I'll post two pictures from my phones camera roll. (iPhone 5s)

First is a picture I sent someone of my everyday carry. A SP101 3" 357 and a well used kershaw leek. I like the back ground and the obvious shine and shadows produces from a lamp right next to the gun.

Next is a savage axis 25-06 taken on a late season coyote hunt. Purpose was to show off the newly installed Boyds stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

What I would have changed would be based on artistic preferences and from shooting commercial work. I would have made the pic more gritty, if you want I can do a quick edit to show you what I mean. Functionally I would not change anything in this picture, as the composition is solid.

The downside for the person shooting the weapon is the shirt hangs in a manner which makes him look like he could lose a couple pounds..
    Thanks for the feedback. If you get a spare minute, would love to see an edit. I keep telling my buddy he's getting porky but he doesn't listen, haha!

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast