Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I took this photo to show off my first AR pistol which I built while we were living in our motorhome. Freshly painted, over gassed, under buffered and two hundred rounds away from complete extractor spring failure- and I was so proud of it!

I like how the colors look on my (uncorrected) screen.

I took this when the sun directly overhead, without a cloud in the sky.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-24-21 at 23:10.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

I took this when the sun directly overhead, without a cloud in the sky.

It really shows. Direct harsh lighting from the sun is very infrequently a good thing. Had the sun been out of play, and the sky been overcast, this pic would have looked a lot better. On a calibrate screen, this looks very "salmon"ish for colors.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Either that or sprinkle some boolits on the table.

For the love of Pete, please don't throw bullets in a pic. Its a look that never really works well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    It really shows. Direct harsh lighting from the sun is very infrequently a good thing. Had the sun been out of play, and the sky been overcast, this pic would have looked a lot better. On a calibrate screen, this looks very "salmon"ish for colors.
    Thanks Stick

I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Thanks Stick
    I will happily point out that I struggle mightily any time I'm using bales of hay or straw in any of my images. So don't take the above comments negative, you are in good company!!
    Stick

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I will happily point out that I struggle mightily any time I'm using bales of hay or straw in any of my images. So don't take the above comments negative, you are in good company!!
    I haven't taken any of your comments in a negative way. I trust your eye. If I don't want the truth about my photos I shouldn't ask. I am truly grateful for taking time out of your day to comment.

I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For the love of Pete, please don't throw bullets in a pic. Its a look that never really works well.
    Really?

You do this for a living so won’t question you other than why?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Really?

It is my belief that throwing spent shell casings into an image creates a pointless filler, which stands out and really looks the part. I learned a long time ago from a photographer/ instructor.... His question about one of my images was simple, what does adding this item, or any other item into the scene add from the finished image? His yelling words were highly audible as he told the class, "If it doesn't add to the image, it can only detract from it"!!!!!!

The guy was a brutal instructor, everything had to be shot on slides and projected in front of the class, and you had better have a thick skin. I would guess that over half the class left at one point or another fleeing from the classroom in tears. He really didn't care, all that matter to him was creating photographers, and he had zero problem starting the class by saying that most people didn't have what it took, but at least they could learn the basics while they were there.

At the end of the course he held me off to the side and told me to drop whatever my major was and become a photographer. It was a basic 101 class, but he ran it like a 301 class.

His comments about things being detriments as opposed to useful filler really struck home with me. Another thing he felt people were too stupid to understand was negative space.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Really?

My life has been filled with being in uniform, with most of it wearing a badge. I won't argue that I have done an additional 40+hrs a week with a camera, but my career has always been made carrying a gun. I don't want anyone to give me credit where I may not have earned it.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"Critique my firearm picture" thread

My life has been filled with being in uniform, with most of it wearing a badge. I won't argue that I have done an additional 40+hrs a week with a camera, but my career has always been made carrying a gun. I don't want anyone to give me credit where I may not have earned it.
    Fair enough, I’ll just leave it at you’re leaps and bounds better than I am at product photography!

I wish to heck we had a like button on this forum.

I’ve been a proponent of less is more in many areas of my life.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-01-21 at 17:06.

Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast