Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    Speaking of cloudy days and concrete...

I took this one nearly a year ago as an homage to Stick, hence the upside down orientation. The purpose was for an article about using VFGs, and also showing the BCM VFG that I was experimenting with at the time. It was taken with an iPhone 5s.

I like the textures of the concrete, and I think the lighting turned out alright. However, I slightly botched the cropping by snipping too much off the muzzle. In an effort to make the colors pop a bit more, I think the photo picked up a bit too much graininess. Not a big deal when shrunken down, but much more visible when posted at full size.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    This one was taken with an iPhone 5s in a darkened room in my house. I used two task lamps and misc junk in the background. I was doing a review on the Elcan SpecterOS4x.

This one was taken to show how the optic fit in front of an MBUS Pro rear sight and to also show the updated adjustable ARMS levers. Overall, I'm happy with most things about this photo. The one issue I have is that there is a black and white patch that is blurred and slightly visible behind the optic. It's of a skull and has the words "Never Say Die" on it (a reference to the Goonies). I think the black and white combo stands out too much from the otherwise brown tones of the background.

This is another from the same series, meant to be more of a "production" image. I used the same setup as before, with two task lamps, and a large sheet of white construction paper on the background. The photo was to show what the included ARD looks like while attached. I tried to hit the focus so that the serial number was just out of focus. When I ran it through Photoshop to do the white correction on the background, I think it makes the R<--->L markings on the windage adjustment pop too much, and draws attention away from what I was trying to focus on.

Lastly, I took this with an iPhone 6s in my back yard on an cloudy day. It is a shot of my 1942 CMP M1, and was meant to be a phone wallpaper. I think the green sling ended up being too distracting.

Here is the same day from a top angle. Background is my Vertx smock and misc patches. I used this one as a wallpaper on my computer for a long time. Biggest issue is that I couldn't get the whole rifle in the frame without also getting patches of the underlying grass, so I had to crop it tighter and lose some of the rifle.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Good thread idea, Stick.

This is a photo I've always generally liked, but haven't been 100% on.

Why it was shot: I noticed how much wear had accumulated on the bolt and mag well, and wanted a photo to highlight it.

What I like: I like that my eye goes to the center of the receiver, and generally shows what I want while softening what I don't want. I also am pretty happy with the white balance and general feel.

What I don't like: The rifle is too much of a "slash" through the center, where I think taking up a more aesthetically-pleasing corner would be best. I was using a 35mm prime (best glass I have) at the time, and just got lazy in getting the right composition. I'm indifferent on the background. I think it could've been better, but I'm not sure how.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hey Stick,
    Maybe you can change the thread title to 'Critique my weapon photo', even though I think by now most have caught on.

Most of the photos I take for my website have been to illustrate the item as clearly as possible, hence they're less artistic, and more illustrative. As you know, I've always had a great deal of respect for your photographic eye and skills, and am aware of the work that goes into them. There's a real art to getting the right composition, and sometimes I think that it's just as important as lighting to get that 'good' photo.

Here are as few shots I've taken in the past, and the different points/intents of the photos that Stick can add to:

Very basic 'illustration' - no real artistic intent; taken to show wear on upper receiver (a photo like this might be used for an auction of that item, for example):

Another basic shot, with the weapon angled to fill the frame better. It's more pleasing that just squared up.

Another pretty basic 'white background' one-dimensional, slightly over-exposed shot - with a bit of accessories thrown in to give the weapon some context (I'd call it one tiny level of effort over the the previous one, LOL). Lighting is a bit harsh with no angle (so no shadows), no diffusers over lights. If I wanted a prettier picture, I might take it on a different background that lends itself to the period/setting with the lights at angles to create more shadows and texture/depth.

The next progression is another simple white background shot, but taken from an angle (instead of the weapon just rotated in the frame) to include the third dimension.

Now here are a couple of non-white backgrounds shots with directional lighting, which is chosen to focus the attention on the article at hand and bring out the details.

The rest are just other examples of the same - 'nice looking' illustrative shots without too much post-processing - maybe some shading here and there. No 'gritty' filter etc.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    15000653_850908936111_5072362907439304220_o.jpg
    (Click for fullsize)

This photo was taken to showcase something I've never seen before (no shims, lined up perfectly for me at 24-28# torque.)

I used a galaxy s4, and indoor lighting from above, as well as flash, against a textured off white wall. I like the lighting because it emphasizes the area of interest while keeping the muzzle device very visible, but somewhat discreet, if you will. This is more a product of the potato dying like a dog for resolution without a lot of light than any special focus, imo, but I like the results. The photo is centered and symmetrical---almost, to further underline the OCD pleasure this gave me, while also paying homage to all those muzzle devices out there that didn't just perfectly line up.

I dislike that the resolution of my potato is poor.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-12-16 at 04:39.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Now here are a couple of non-white backgrounds shots with directional lighting, which is chosen to focus the attention on the article at hand and bring out the details.
    I really like that one. What exactly is your background for that. What material? Or is the background done in PS?

OR... since this is not supposed to a how-to specific thread.... What backgrounds do you have good results with when the intent is black on black. I get the reflective surface, or the textured contrast, but when you want the background to basically just be black, do you still use a certain material under it or just replace the background in PS?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Speaking of cloudy days and concrete...

I took this one nearly a year ago as an homage to Stick, hence the upside down orientation. The purpose was for an article about using VFGs, and also showing the BCM VFG that I was experimenting with at the time. It was taken with an iPhone 5s.

I like the textures of the concrete, and I think the lighting turned out alright. However, I slightly botched the cropping by snipping too much off the muzzle. In an effort to make the colors pop a bit more, I think the photo picked up a bit too much graininess. Not a big deal when shrunken down, but much more visible when posted at full size.

For showing a complete weapon, I think you nailed it. You already know the crop is a bit too tight, so no point in harping on that issue. This is a great, simple way to take good, clean pictures. Regarding the grain, there isn't much you can do aside from getting more light, and even then it is still an iPhone we are talking about.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    This one was taken with an iPhone 5s in a darkened room in my house. I used two task lamps and misc junk in the background. I was doing a review on the Elcan SpecterOS4x.

This one was taken to show how the optic fit in front of an MBUS Pro rear sight and to also show the updated adjustable ARMS levers. Overall, I'm happy with most things about this photo. The one issue I have is that there is a black and white patch that is blurred and slightly visible behind the optic. It's of a skull and has the words "Never Say Die" on it (a reference to the Goonies). I think the black and white combo stands out too much from the otherwise brown tones of the background.

This is another from the same series, meant to be more of a "production" image. I used the same setup as before, with two task lamps, and a large sheet of white construction paper on the background. The photo was to show what the included ARD looks like while attached. I tried to hit the focus so that the serial number was just out of focus. When I ran it through Photoshop to do the white correction on the background, I think it makes the R<--->L markings on the windage adjustment pop too much, and draws attention away from what I was trying to focus on.

Lastly, I took this with an iPhone 6s in my back yard on an cloudy day. It is a shot of my 1942 CMP M1, and was meant to be a phone wallpaper. I think the green sling ended up being too distracting.

Here is the same day from a top angle. Background is my Vertx smock and misc patches. I used this one as a wallpaper on my computer for a long time. Biggest issue is that I couldn't get the whole rifle in the frame without also getting patches of the underlying grass, so I had to crop it tighter and lose some of the rifle.

By far, the last picture is the best of them. The shallow depth of field doesn't tend to work well (IMHO) for most review or product style photos.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    Good thread idea, Stick.

This is a photo I've always generally liked, but haven't been 100% on.

Why it was shot: I noticed how much wear had accumulated on the bolt and mag well, and wanted a photo to highlight it.

What I like: I like that my eye goes to the center of the receiver, and generally shows what I want while softening what I don't want. I also am pretty happy with the white balance and general feel.

What I don't like: The rifle is too much of a "slash" through the center, where I think taking up a more aesthetically-pleasing corner would be best. I was using a 35mm prime (best glass I have) at the time, and just got lazy in getting the right composition. I'm indifferent on the background. I think it could've been better, but I'm not sure how.

I like what you like with this shot. I have zero problem with the diagonal style, and think it works well as it brings your eye right to the correct focal point.

I don't care for the single leaf, and think a few leaves would have worked better, or none at all. The leaf stems are a small item, but needlessly distracting for someone who spends time looking at the picture, which is something the single leaf doesn't do. However, the pic hits the mark for what you were looking to achieve.

I find question with the entire charging handle not being shown. It is so small that a little more focus on the composition would have stepped this up. Small issues overall, and I think its ends up being a good shot.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Hey Stick,
    Maybe you can change the thread title to 'Critique my weapon photo', even though I think by now most have caught on.

Most of the photos I take for my website have been to illustrate the item as clearly as possible, hence they're less artistic, and more illustrative. As you know, I've always had a great deal of respect for your photographic eye and skills, and am aware of the work that goes into them. There's a real art to getting the right composition, and sometimes I think that it's just as important as lighting to get that 'good' photo.

Here are as few shots I've taken in the past, and the different points/intents of the photos that Stick can add to:

Title changed, and good call.

There honestly isn't much I can say about your shots to critique. They are solid, and any changes that I would consider making would simply be reflective of how we personally shoot pictures. You don't have a need to rely on filters or cheap gimmicks like many people do as you are able to continuously take solid pictures as needed to illustrate your desired intent. I have zero qualms about recommending you above others to shoot commercial pictures, and there is multiple reasons, not that I expect manufacturers to be reading this thread or seeing you get the official seal of Stick approval.

You have consistency, and for commercial work, that can NOT be emphasized enough. I've seen and heard over and over from manufacturers they have used someone who watermarks their pictures, or says they are a photographer in over post or in the user name, so they must be professional.... The manufactures have seen a picture or two that they really like, usually something heavily filtered or abstract, which is unique or stands out to that particular person. There is certainly nothing wrong with that. HOWEVER, what they fail to see is the individual lacks the ability to produce clean images on a regular basis, and is forced to use gimmicks (insert fake background jokes here), or heavy filtering to make up for their lack of ability. When assigned a task, these people are complete failures. You don't have that, what you have is longevity in producing solid images for years and years. I could recommend you to anyone, and know that you would not be a source of embarrassment, or that you would flake.

I agree that composition is a large element that often equals or even exceeds (depending upon the circumstances) the lighting or other certain other key aspects of the overall image. A boring picture is boring, and with good composition, a pic can't be boring.
    Stick

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast