Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #Winning

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    He is homeless so I bet that he gets drunk the old fashioned way. FWIW, he was intubated for respiratory failure secondary to ETOH toxicity back in Feb. His BAC was 589 on that admission. This ain't his first rodeo in the MICU.
    Dude hates himself for some reason....

When a trout rising to a fly gets hooked and finds himself unable to swim about freely, he begins a fight which results in struggles and splashes and sometimes an escape.... In the same way, the human stuggles ... with the hooks that catch him. Sometime he masters his difficulties; sometimes they are too much for him. The struggles are all that the world sees, and it usually misunderstands them. It is hard for a free fish to understand what is happening to a hooked one. - Karl A. Menninger, The Human Mind

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I don't know whether to thank you sarcastically or sincerely for that information.

You just put a bit of category 5 stank on some of my favorite taste bud tantalizers, but then..... that might not be such a bad thing.
    Then you probably don't want to know about coke and gerbils.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    What exactly was dudeman drinking? You can slam a handle of liquor and not be on that level.
    Don't know. He was emergently intubated on arrival. EMS said there were multiple airline bottles in his pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba FAL View Post
    And who is paying the medical bills,I wonder.
    You have 1 guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Hey Sensei-

Is there a treatment similar to say like dialysis or a transfusion for when people approach that high of a BAC? Or do you just hang back and see what happens?
    He is on a ventilator for respiratory support and pressors for circulatory support. That high of an alcohol causes acute cardiomyopathy (he had a globally reduced EF when I echo'Ed him), but his heart will likely recover as his level comes down. We do dialysis for toxic alcohols (methanol and ethylene glycol), but rarely ethanol. Dialysis for ethanol is reported in the literature, but only indicated if the hypotension is refractory to pressors. He will metabolize to freedom over the next 2-3 days - assuming that we control his withdrawal as he gets below 300 or so...
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-11-16 at 21:26.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    You didn't know people did that? Seriously, I thought that was common knowledge.
    That's a new one me. When it comes to screwing one's self up, I'll believe damn near anything but that's a new one. I would think you would already need to be s*** faced and dangerous before the shove a funnel up your butt and have a friend top off the tank idea enters your mind...... but... I still don't get the Kayne/Kardashian thing either. Maybe there are some advantages to old age.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    That's a new one me. When it comes to screwing one's self up, I'll believe damn near anything but that's a new one. I would think you would already need to be s*** faced and dangerous before the shove a funnel up your butt and have a friend top off the tank idea enters your mind...... but... I still don't get the Kayne/Kardashian thing either. Maybe there are some advantages to old age.
    Well, its not my fault that you are a bunch of old farts.

Lol.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The highest blood alcohol level that I've ever seen...by a lot.

Attachment 42364

That is 0.754 for you legal eagles. Over 9X the legal limit. Currently intubated and on Levophed...
    Wow, I had a patient that somehow survived 0.67, previous to that I'd seen plenty of .4xx BACs, pretty crazy to see considering that level is pretty damn life threatening. My 0.67 patient had been popping benzos as well...

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have the record DUI BAC in my county for the year so far. 0.39% walking and talking.
    My career high was 0.525% he was unconscious. I can't even imagine 0.75!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Airline bottles?

It was Vodka. If he survives, this is strike two.

ETA my all time high .433 was a fat lady who looked like the fat lady from Gilbert Grape. She had all of Ireland in her Sweet Tea. And High Gravity. And Four Loko. And Vodka.

She ended up losing a foot. But she was diabetic. Walking (insofar to her ability), talking, and calling me Sunshine. I thought my Alco was broke but the Intox was confirmed it so off to the hospital.

Man....drink your drink. Free country, kinda. But jeez
    Last edited by Firefly; 11-12-16 at 06:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Airline bottles?
    Popular for their ability to be easly concealled - all of the homeless shelters are dry.

This is the scene from a moped vs. SUV at 50 mph that I witnessed.
    Attachment 42370

The moped darted across the HWY in front of me and got creamed by a car traveling in the opposite direction. The impact sent airline bottles traveling through the air that stuck my vehicle like shrapnel...
    IMG_1594.jpg
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used to have a breathalyzer.....still have it somewhere. I don't know how accurate it is. Tested it a few times after having a beer, when I first got it. Seemed like it was about right. 10 - 15 years ago I got hammered at my dad's birthday party. Seriously hammered! Took out the breathalyzer and it read 0.55. I didn't feel as bad as I thought that would but it was a long night

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast