Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on a .260 rebarrel

Feedback Score
    I may have over stepped a position about some of the possible aftermarket G2 changes. Those were made for a lower cost basis 16" 7.62 AR platform using LC M80 ball ammunition without a can. It is a barrel and action system alteration that they deemed favorable to possibly bring to the market. Let's see if the market demands that change. They had no intention of a caliber change or barrel length for this. I know the initial barrels harvested OE G2 BE's, but I have no idea if they planned to make these in house if the volume deemed it worthwhile.

Feedback Score
    I bought a DPMS LR in 308. Sold the complete upper and got a replacement upper from DPMS. This was when DPMS was not part of Remington, so I'm guessing Gen 1. At that time 8.5" twist was all I could get. The bore is a bit rough and I have Tubbs fire lapping bullets ready to go, just haven't shot them yet. Groups avg 1.5-3". Needless to say I am not happy - thus the fire lapping plan. I have been told that H4350 is THE POWDER to use. I used 4 different powders, but not that one. I did take 2 antelope with it, but I won't be happy until it is a better than MOA shooter.

Not much difference between the CM and 260, if you reload. They say factory ammo is easier to find and cheaper for the CM. Couldn't tell you as I haven't shopped/bought factory fodder in 25 years

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    .260 over Creedmoor mostly because I have piles of 260 brass and dies. If I ever bought factory ammo then the Creedmoor would be a no brainer, but because I run .260AI in a few different rifles (bolt guns) I have a lot of 260 brass that I have not fireformed to AI that would work for a 260 AR 10.

That actually brings up a good question, has anyone ever played with 260AI in an AR? It seems that the body taper and shoulder angle would make feeding a real bitch but maybe I am wrong.

Feedback Score
    It takes a bit of work to make an AI feed in a Mauser. Guessing an AR platform would be less forgiving.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The GII is a proprietary extension and barrel setup. Supposedly there are some more calibers in the pipeline from DPMS.

Also, I think I remember a company called Wyoming Arms making something GII based in .260 or 6.5 Creed.

If you want to mix and match and get custom barrels, the "Gen I" platform is going to be your best bet until DPMS lets the technicial data for making barrels out.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    Is there a reason you prefer .260 over 6.5CM? Not trying to get into a debate, but they are very similar, and from what I have noticed there appears to be a lot more support/barrel options for 6.5CM in semi-auto.
    This exactly. The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed to keep velocities as high as possible with safe pressures in a gas gun to mimick .260 bolt gun velocities. Just like the 6mm Creedmoor was made to mimick .243 velocities in a gasser while keeping velocities near bolt gun levels.

FYI: H4350 is the powder of choice for both of these rounds.
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 11-27-16 at 06:18.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn1940 View Post
    I have an Armalite AR-10T in 260Rem. It is great and I love it. Just get a complete upper and be done with it.
    JM
    Are you running a factory upper / barrel ? A pattern or B pattern ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12