Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a knife? Axe? Bow? Any edged sharp pokey thing? Post it!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post
    Some good reviews from buyers:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SCH...e-nylon-sheath

I'll probably get another one now @ this price so the grandsons won't get into a brotherly fight down the road!

My new rule: no more safe queens*.

*way too many now.
    Follow up. What left on Amazon:

I am really blow away by the value of this knife. It's an obvious knock off of The Chris Reeve Project 1. I had two of them at one time and sold both for a lot of $. This knife is as good in every respect. The only obvious difference is the early IV was made of A2, which is a great tool steel. This knife being made with 1070, internal tools and all, is as good if not better. People turn their nose up at 1095, 1070, etc, and they are as tough or tougher than any of the modern wonder stainless steels. The main difference of course is carbon steels rust easily. But, the reason this knife is well under $100 is due to using the 1070, which is a steel that will not let you down under hard use. Just wipe down occasionally with a thin coat of oil, and GTG. To conclude, I was not expecting the fit/finish quality of this knife to be so high for the cost. A+
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-11-21 at 13:25.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Here is one of those D2 blades that I wanted to make a little unique....

That's pretty slick looking!

Thanks for the info on the steel quality. A lot of those kids are around 50 bucks... Guessing some may be hit or miss.

May do one just for fun or with understanding its limitations. But if I get one for some serious use I'd want a known quality blade on there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hubertus Stag Hunting Folding Knife - Cartridge Ejector - 16ga + 12ga
    Last edited by TriggerFish; 03-13-21 at 12:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From the old saying: "One is none, two is one."----

Since I have two outdoors loving and knife collecting grandsons, I can't just give to one and not the other!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ------------
    Last edited by TriggerFish; 03-19-21 at 11:12. Reason: double post

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post
    From the old saying: "One is none, two is one."----

Since I have two outdoors loving and knife collecting grandsons, I can't just give to one and not the other!
    One of the nice things about 1070 is that its easy to sharpen, and can really take a beating. It might not be 1095, which would hold an edge longer, but 1095 in a large blade would also chip a bit easier. Its one of the reasons I like 5160 (often found as car or truck leaf spring). It tempers easy, is easy to work, and can take abuse and impact. It won't hold an edge like the super steels, but it brings its own "pluses" into play.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

With the lightning fast OTF deployment of its razor sharp double-edged dagger blade stretching out to ONE & 15/16th INCHES of steel mayhem… no envelope, even in California, is safe from its cutting and slashing power!
    Last edited by TriggerFish; 03-26-21 at 08:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    One of the nice things about 1070 is that its easy to sharpen, and can really take a beating. It might not be 1095, which would hold an edge longer, but 1095 in a large blade would also chip a bit easier. Its one of the reasons I like 5160 (often found as car or truck leaf spring). It tempers easy, is easy to work, and can take abuse and impact. It won't hold an edge like the super steels, but it brings its own "pluses" into play.
    Older I get, more I know, less impressed I am by latest greatest super steel of the week. Other than rust and corrosion resistance, good carbon steel will taking a beating like nothing else it seems and when you can buy say 3-5 knives for the price of one knife is latest super steel, really hard to justify. Many of the super steels sensitive to a perfect HT, where as 1070, not so much. Interesting to note people were breaking Reeves fixed blade knives regularly, and that was blamed on the HT. Reeves claimed they were intentionally soft for easier sharpening in the field, and I will not claim to know the answers. I do know under hard field use people were snapping their expensive Reeves blades, and were not impressed. Read about that on the Blade Forums and such when I was paying attention to such things. Many feel the S35VN sub par to the S30V, and they (supposedly) went to S35VN because it was less damaging to their equipment vs inherently superior. My point being, not to bash Reeves per se, but to point out just seems the one thing you can't test if it's done right in some expensive super steel knife you purchased is that HT, so choosing steels less sensitive to needing perfect HT, makes some sense to me.

I still think D2 is perhaps best of the lot $ for performance and known HT...
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-28-21 at 15:45.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Older I get, more I know, less impressed I am by latest greatest super steel of the week. Other than rust and corrosion resistance, good carbon steel will taking a beating like nothing else it seems and when you can buy say 3-5 knives for the price of one knife is latest super steel, really hard to justify. Many of the super steels sensitive to a perfect HT, where as 1070, not so much. Interesting to note people were breaking Reeves fixed blade knives regularly, and that was blamed on the HT. Reeves claimed they were intentionally soft for easier sharpening in the field, and I will not claim to know the answers. I do know under hard field use people were snapping their expensive Reeves blades, and were not impressed. Read about that on the Blade Forums and such when I was paying attention to such things. Many feel the S35VN sub par to the S30V, and they (supposedly) went to S35VN because it was less damaging to their equipment vs inherently superior. My point being, not to bash Reeves per se, but to point out just seems the one thing you can't test if it's done right in some expensive super steel knife you purchased is that HT, so choosing steels less sensitive to needing perfect HT, makes some sense to me.

I still think D2 is perhaps best of the lot $ for performance and known HT...
    I like D2 also. For the more modern steels, I like M4, M390 (20CV), and 3V.

I have a CR Pacific I got on a trade. It's just sitting in my safe. I'll probably sell it. I have a Buck Punk in my backpack along with a Swick 3.

Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast