Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Vortex's new Holographic Sight Razor AMG UH-1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andygold View Post
    EoTechs have an issue with batteries discharging even if the sight is in the off position (circuitry remains active. Only the laser emitter is actually off). Does the UH-1 have a similar issue where even if left in the off position, it will kill it's batteries. I realize batteries will self -discharge over time on their own, but does the circuitry in the Vortex hasten that discharge even when off?
    All illuminated optics with digital buttons drain over time even when the optic is turned "Off" because the optic needs to be constantly sensing itself to detect if buttons are pushed so it can turn on instantly. The UH-1 is highly efficient though during that off time though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexOptics View Post
    All illuminated optics with digital buttons drain over time even when the optic is turned "Off" because the optic needs to be constantly sensing itself to detect if buttons are pushed so it can turn on instantly. The UH-1 is highly efficient though during that off time though.
    So, with a brand new CR123A, how long is the standby time if the sight is not used at all? Can a 16340 rechargeable Li-ion be used instead of an LFP battery?

Feedback Score
    So, with a brand new CR123A, how long is the standby time if the sight is not used at all? Can a 16340 rechargeable Li-ion be used instead of an LFP battery?
    Nope - use an LFP battery. And regarding the standby battery life, that's a great question that this guy does not have the answer to. But realistically speaking, whatever rifle it goes on is going to be your new favorite so how much standby time will it really have anyway? Will see if we can get that for you. It's bound to be in the tens of thousands of hours, so if you haven't touched your rifle by the time it dies from lying dormant, you should probably assume maintenance is necessary and should probably be training more

Feedback Score
    Nope - use an LFP battery. And regarding the standby battery life, that's a great question that this guy does not have the answer to. But realistically speaking, whatever rifle it goes on is going to be your new favorite so how much standby time will it really have anyway? Will see if we can get that for you. It's bound to be in the tens of thousands of hours, so if you haven't touched your rifle by the time it dies from lying dormant, you should probably assume maintenance is necessary and should probably be training more
    Regretfully, my 20 year old AR with ACOG on top has about 300 rounds through it. So, it obviously sits more than it gets used. My go-to gun is a PS90 with secret service sight, so no batteries needed. I typically wouldn't leave a battery in anything that's going to be sitting, but it's good to know how long it can sit and still have enough juice to work... Plus li-ion batteries don't leak acid over time, so the battery might actually be left in the sight long term. Ten(s) of thousands of hours is multiple years (one year is about 8800 hours), so that's promising, especially compared to a EoTech.

Feedback Score
    Regretfully, my 20 year old AR with ACOG on top has about 300 rounds through it. So, it obviously sits more than it gets used. My go-to gun is a PS90 with secret service sight, so no batteries needed. I typically wouldn't leave a battery in anything that's going to be sitting, but it's good to know how long it can sit and still have enough juice to work... Plus li-ion batteries don't leak acid over time, so the battery might actually be left in the sight long term. Ten(s) of thousands of hours is multiple years (one year is about 8800 hours), so that's promising, especially compared to a EoTech.
    Well the other nice thing is, you can pop in an LFP battery and then just leave it on the Micro USB charger that's integrated into the side of the sight. That way it'll never die and you can let it sit as long as the battery's chemistry allows it to hold a charge!

Feedback Score
    I have played with it on one gun, and am using it on this at the range tomorrow.

It is sturdy, robust, and well built. It is fixed at lower 1/3 co-witness with an integrated quick release.

I like the reticle. It looks even better with a magnifier.

But....
    It is so bulky for the size of the window. Yes, I know it’s not a scope. I love Aimpoint, especially micros, and I love EoTech from a design perspective anyway.

It has not grown on me yet.

Objectively it is great.
    Subjectively, it’s like when you pick up something like a PX4 subcompact and it’s just odd and hard to win you ever vs just grabbing a Glock 26 or a RAMI.

“Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I handled a Vortex UH-1 and Trijicon MRO this afternoon at a local shop. I own and highly value several Vortex optics but wow was I disappointed. I held both optics unmounted in my hand and centered the reticles on a guy standing at a bus stop across the street. The Vortex circular reticle was so fuzzy and ill defined it was nearly unuseable. Nothing like the sharp well defined reticle on my SIG Romeo 4 or even my old Bushnell/Aimpoint Holosight. The MRO dot was nice and sharp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I handled a Vortex UH-1 and Trijicon MRO this afternoon at a local shop. I own and highly value several Vortex optics but wow was I disappointed. I held both optics unmounted in my hand and centered the reticles on a guy standing at a bus stop across the street. The Vortex circular reticle was so fuzzy and ill defined it was nearly unuseable. Nothing like the sharp well defined reticle on my SIG Romeo 4 or even my old Bushnell/Aimpoint Holosight. The MRO dot was nice and sharp.
    That's pretty odd for sure. A couple things that could be happening - the brightness of the reticle was far too bright for the lighting conditions - this will cause perceived blurriness. It could be the nature of your eye vs. other people's eyes as well which does not agree with the UH-1's form of illumination and reticle presentation (You wouldn't be the first to find that a holographic sight, though it works for many, just looks like utter nonsense to your eyes). Lastly, it could also be a misunderstanding of the nature of holographic sights. In a holographic sight, you're not looking at a reflection of a little shining LED at the back of the optic (Like all the red dots you describe in comparison). In those cases, the reflection just shows the crisp, solid LED light. A hologram, on the other hand, is essentially floating in front of you after a laser is bounced off a series of mirrors inside the sight and hits a beam splitter that gives you the image of a reticle. All holographic sights look slightly "Pixelated" for this reason rather than extremely crisp. It should never be extreme, but some notice it and think there's a problem with the sight - there isn't. If that's the case (And none of the latter points are also happening) then it's just a matter of focusing too heavily on the reticle. In an actual shooting scenario like these sights are designed for (CQB, quick-transition, fast movement), you'll be focusing down range and the reticle will essentially become like a heads up display. At that point, any pixelation is a non issue. Again, none of that will really matter if your brightness is far too bright (Very common) or if your eyes just simply don't like the hologram the sight presents.

Just some thoughts. Could have been a bad unit somehow, too? Hard to say without seeing it in person, but from our experience, it's most often one of those three things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's pretty odd for sure. A couple things that could be happening - the brightness of the reticle was far too bright for the lighting conditions - this will cause perceived blurriness. It could be the nature of your eye vs. other people's eyes as well which does not agree with the UH-1's form of illumination and reticle presentation (You wouldn't be the first to find that a holographic sight, though it works for many, just looks like utter nonsense to your eyes). Lastly, it could also be a misunderstanding of the nature of holographic sights. In a holographic sight, you're not looking at a reflection of a little shining LED at the back of the optic (Like all the red dots you describe in comparison). In those cases, the reflection just shows the crisp, solid LED light. A hologram, on the other hand, is essentially floating in front of you after a laser is bounced off a series of mirrors inside the sight and hits a beam splitter that gives you the image of a reticle. All holographic sights look slightly "Pixelated" for this reason rather than extremely crisp. It should never be extreme, but some notice it and think there's a problem with the sight - there isn't. If that's the case (And none of the latter points are also happening) then it's just a matter of focusing too heavily on the reticle. In an actual shooting scenario like these sights are designed for (CQB, quick-transition, fast movement), you'll be focusing down range and the reticle will essentially become like a heads up display. At that point, any pixelation is a non issue. Again, none of that will really matter if your brightness is far too bright (Very common) or if your eyes just simply don't like the hologram the sight presents.

Just some thoughts. Could have been a bad unit somehow, too? Hard to say without seeing it in person, but from our experience, it's most often one of those three things.
    I figured it could be a combination of many things including my 48 year old eyes. It was a sample of one that I looked through for a few seconds. I have been super satisfied with my two Vortex Viper's over the years and recommend them to others so I will take a second look at the UH-1 at the next opportunity.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Anybody still running one of these hard? I'm deciding between this and an EXPS2-0 and want a good long term purchase.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast