Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $2k too much for beginner/LPV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

$2k too much for beginner/LPV

I've been looking at all the options for LPV optics and the market is pretty flooded. A lot of options for both low budget and high end. I don't have any real time behind optics other than my Aimpoints, so I'm looking to dive into the LPV game.

I'm a hobbyist shooter looking to expand my skills. Possibly get into 3 gun comps. in the future, but more focused on additional training and learning how to use my rifle at greater distances beyond iron sights. I'm pretty proficient with my irons at a 100-150 yds, but my eyes are getting older and also dealing with astigmatism.

I would classify myself as a novice with magnified optics. I would have to train with someone who could teach me all the nuances of shooting with LPV optics. That being said, is it ridiculous to spend $1500-$2000 on a 1-4x, 1-6x LPV optic for someone just starting? Not really looking for recommendations for scopes as there's tons of info already, just wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew.

Considering:

Trijicon Accupower 1-4x
    NF NXS 1-4x
    Vortex Razor HD 1-6x
    Leupold Mk6
    Swarovski Z61

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    If "daylight bright" lume is a consideration, scratch the NF.

What you intend to do with the scope will help determine which way to go.
    What reticle do you think you want? There's a bunch of choices, some being better with precision at moderate range, some better at speed on coarser targets, etc.
    The Steiner PX4i is around 600 bucks and a standout imo at that price point.
    This 1X4 has daylight bright lume, making it fast on target, a reasonably fine plex and ranging reticle, making precision at distance do-able.
    It is also one of the lightest LPVs I would consider.
    It would be a decent 3 gun optic.

A 1X6 gives you greater versatility yet, with precision at distance.

To answer your question, no- I don't think it rediculous to spend 1.5 to 2K on your first LPV.
    I just probably isn't necessary.

I'd suggest some trigger time behind some scopes you think might fit the bill if at all possible.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    A good 1-6 LPV needs almost no getting used to on 1x. If you can get repeatable cheek weld on the rifle, to me, it's almost as fast as an Eotech. If you have a decent eye relief on the optic. While it will never be quiet as fast/efficient inside 100 yards as your aimpoints, they do work extremely well. I've taken my 1-6 equipped rifles out to 600 yards.

On your 2k number, I would say your in no beginner price range. You can get that Razor Gen2 1-6 on your list right now for 1200. If your capable and your rifle can do it, I see no reservations besides weight on going with a quality 1-6 with daylight bright reticle on 1x.

What rifle are you planning to put one on, and intended use? I have 1-6/8 on a few rifles from 11.5 to 18 in guns.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 11-27-16 at 14:23.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't believe in "beginner" anything. Buy once, cry once. If you buy quality optics you'll get most of you're money back in the event things don't work out. In the 2K range I would be looking at the Leupold MK6 and the Khales K16i. The NF 1-4 is an incredible optic as well and quite a bit cheaper than the rest, and while not daylight visible, it has a great reticle that lends it self to easy acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Rifle is a BCM 16" middy.

I do want daylight bright, quick target acquisition at 100 yds and the versatility of reaching out longer distances, say 500-600 yds., even if I never get there. I want a simple reticle to learn on, less clutter the better. I don't want to upgrade in the future. I don't want to build another AR for another purpose. I need this rifle to be multi purpose, i.e., potential 3 gun rifle if I wish for that to happen, HD, long range target shooting.

Will a novice like me find the benefit of learning on higher end glass then an entry level optic? Will it complicate the learning curve? Does it matter one way or anther? Sorry, these must sound like dumb questions.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Rifle is a BCM 16" middy.

I do want daylight bright, quick target acquisition at 100 yds and the versatility of reaching out longer distances, say 500-600 yds., even if I never get there. I want a simple reticle to learn on, less clutter the better. I don't want to upgrade in the future. I don't want to build another AR for another purpose. I need this rifle to be multi purpose, i.e., potential 3 gun rifle if I wish for that to happen, HD, long range target shooting.

Will a novice like me find the benefit of learning on higher end glass then an entry level optic? Will it complicate the learning curve? Does it matter one way or anther? Sorry, these must sound like dumb questions.
    1. Yes, the quality is noticeable, and I know you said you're a "hobbyist" but if the rifle has any chance of being used in a life safety application, it's not a hobby rifle anymore. You can spend 2 grand and get a top quality optic and mount and if you don't like it, you won't really be out any more than if you bought a cheap optic and sold it as high end glass retains its value much better. Or you can buy a cheap optic, realize you like it (likely scenario) and then spend $2500 because you're going to buy the higher end optic at the end of the day anyways, when you could have just done it right the first time for 2K .

2. The learning curve is going to be about the same. The hard part (IMO) is learning that a 1-4 or 1-6 doesn't have the eye box a red dot has. Some of the higher end low power variables have a better eye box. It's a lot easier to shoot from weird shooting positions with a red dot than a LPV.

3. You didn't ask but....IMO daylight visible reticle are over rated. With a reticle it's shows up just fine. The internet makes it sound like if you buy a LPV without daylight visible illumination you'll never be able to find you're reticle. It should be noted that there are a lot of dead hajis in the ground that were killed with those crummy old outdated NF 1-4's with no daylight visible illumination. Not trying to change you're mind, just some food for thought.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, I agree. The rifle could easily turn from hobby shooter to defense.

From a learning curve standpoint, are there certain reticles that are easier to work with?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you have the budget, I would say go for it. However, I would recommend Steiner 1-4 ($579) for entry level or Kahles 1-6 (2250) for top dog.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I don't believe in "beginner" anything. Buy once, cry once. If you buy quality optics you'll get most of you're money back in the event things don't work out. In the 2K range I would be looking at the Leupold MK6 and the Khales K16i. The NF 1-4 is an incredible optic as well and quite a bit cheaper than the rest, and while not daylight visible, it has a great reticle that lends it self to easy acquisition.

Amen.

F2S destroys everyone with that 1-4 NF

Feedback Score
    It's never too early to buy quality. If you have the scratch, get rid of the itch...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast