Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I want to buy 5 suppressors at once, help me pick.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Deleted....
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 12-07-16 at 09:29. Reason: Didn't want to get into it about guys comments about that flashlight company.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I own 5 different brands of suppressors. I like them all. No big issues on any. Gemtech customer service has been good but their quality suffered a bit in my experience. Ive been very happy with TBAC, Surefire, AAC, SIG.

Customer service and mounting options are bigger issues than performance. They all work good IMHO.

My advice:

Make your rifle cans from the same manufacture so you can move them around. You might have a .223 bolt gun later on and can run your 5.56 AR can on it. Same with AR10 and 30 cal Bolt gun stuff.

You may have to buy whats available in your area or whats in stock. It could be a cluster buying from 3 different vendors, but if you don't mind the extra confusion and work, get what you want.

Should be fun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

I want to buy 5 suppressors at once, help me pick.

[removed deleted quote]

For a carbine class, plinking, and hunting, the Omega is hard to beat in ability, durability, and weight for most people. If it were me, I'd make this one of the 4 in the stable. It will have long-term customer support.

Here's a full auto test for the Omega for the OPs consideration.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sj8FP5nh98

The Omega is 6" with direct thread and without muzzle device. Weight: 13.5oz.

Like barrels, suppressors are not "buy one for the rest of my life" ventures. They are wear items and disposable items, not because of material but from build up. Ask those who use them a lot how much more the same suppressor weighs and how much sound reduction is lost after tens of thousands of rounds. Doesn't matter what material it's made of, they will all suffer from use.
    Last edited by fledge; 12-07-16 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Deleted....
    Thanks for that. I was about to reply and say that I always feel sorry for people who come here for advice only to have their threads turned into pissing matches filled with a bunch of guys going to bat for their favorite companies. I stopped visiting other forums because there was so much of that that they lost their usefulness.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    .22 - DA MASK
    9mm- SiC Osprey
    45 - DA Ghost
    5.56 - KAC QDC or Surefire SOCOM RC[2]
    7.62 - SiC Omega or DA Sandman S or L

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks guys.

Did some research based off of the recommendations. Now I have some more questions, I want to focus on the rifle cans here. I am pretty much settled on Surefire, I agree both should be the same company.

-Is a 5.56 can something I really want? The 5.56 RC2 is dimensionally the same size as the 7.62mini2. How would the 7.62 mini perform compared to the 5.56 rc on a 5.56 gun? If both cans were 7.62 capable I would be able to put either can on any rifle I have, that seems beneficial and safe, accidentally putting the 5.56 can on the 300blk sounds like it could be a safety issue.

-The 300 SPS seems to only be for bolt action 7.62nato guns? Is this true or can I still use is on my SCAR17s? How much performance would I lose using the 7.62 mini on 300blk subs vs the 300SPS that seems to be purpose built for 300blk?

-For the 9mm silencer I am leaning towards the Omega 9k, this is listed as being usable on 300blk as well, which can be taken into consideration when picking the the two rifle cans.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I did the same thing you are doing a year ago.

I bought the dead air mask. For a 22lr can you want it to be easy to take down and clean. It will also matter what solvents you can use to clean it with. imho the alum baffle cans are a no go. Both the sparrow and mask are good. The mask is built like a tank. The new TB can is very close in design also.

Osprey 9 for the pistol, its a little heavy, but works well.

Dead air sandman Ti, for the bolt gun. A good can, but I would get a QD if your shooting an ar. The surefire response was a great idea. The surefire cans have a nice tone also. All Ti cans should be for bolts only, heat is an issue. There are too many other good offerings to add in a Ti can. Stainless/stellite is the way to go. Running a can on AR platform gets hot quick.

Knights QDC 556. Not much to say on this, its not the quietest, but its built like a tank. I own SR-15's with mams already....a match made in heaven. The only real downside is price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Did some research based off of the recommendations. Now I have some more questions, I want to focus on the rifle cans here. I am pretty much settled on Surefire, I agree both should be the same company.

-Is a 5.56 can something I really want? The 5.56 RC2 is dimensionally the same size as the 7.62mini2. How would the 7.62 mini perform compared to the 5.56 rc on a 5.56 gun? If both cans were 7.62 capable I would be able to put either can on any rifle I have, that seems beneficial and safe, accidentally putting the 5.56 can on the 300blk sounds like it could be a safety issue.

-The 300 SPS seems to only be for bolt action 7.62nato guns? Is this true or can I still use is on my SCAR17s? How much performance would I lose using the 7.62 mini on 300blk subs vs the 300SPS that seems to be purpose built for 300blk?

-For the 9mm silencer I am leaning towards the Omega 9k, this is listed as being usable on 300blk as well, which can be taken into consideration when picking the the two rifle cans.
    In my opinion a 5.56 can is definitely worth getting if you have the money. My 300-SPS is retarded loud on my 10.5" 5.56, it will send bells ringing if you shoot Wolf Gold through it without hearing protection. I've only heard the 7.62 mini on a 16" .308 and a 14.5" 5.56 and I thought it was very loud on both of those guns. I've never heard the 7.62 mini on a 300blk, but there is a forum member here named Domestique that has said more than once that 300blk subs are "laughably loud" through his 7.62 mini. I think he recently bought a 300-SPS and/or a SiCo Omega because of it.

Also, don't worry about accidentally putting a 5.56 can on a 7.62 rifle, Surefire makes them so that the 5.56 cans will not mount on the 7.62 mounts. The 7.62 cans will mount on both.

The 300-SPS can be used on anything from 300WM to 5.56mm. I've shot mine on several hosts and think it sounds great on everything except for 5.56mm. Annoyingly, Surefire doesn't make an official "minimum barrel length" requirement public but I called them up and got this from one of the engineers:
    Minimum barrel length of 12" for .308 (the main concern here is bullet stabilization)
    Minimum barrel length of 10" for 5.56
    Minimum barrel length of whatever for 300blk as long as you're sure the bullet is stabilizing, he suggested no shorter than 7-8"
    I didn't ask about 300WM because I don't own one

As to the 9mm silencer I would offer one or two things for consideration. One is that the Omega 9k is not user serviceable. This isn't a big deal for every application but it was for mine, I know I like having a handgun silencer I can clean out when it fills up with stuff. Also, if you only intend on shooting 300blk subsonics then you can use the Octane 9 HD to do that as well. Supersonics are a no-go on the Octane 9 though. Performance will be pretty bad on both though compared to a dedicated 7.62 can. Military Arms Channel posted a video on YouTube fairly recently that featured the Omega 9k on a hog rifle he was building. I don't remember the exact numbers but the performance data from that test was pretty terrible. I think it was around 142-144dB for most of the supersonic 300blk, definitely not hearing safe even by OSHA's standards. If length isn't a critically important dimension to you and you don't need to shoot 300blk supers through your handgun can then I would probably swing away from the Omega 9k.

Hope that helps some in your decision process.
    Last edited by plinkerr; 12-07-16 at 11:38. Reason: Corrected the name of other forum member I was thinking of.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quick reply as I have to run... Surefire 7.62 RC cans are in my opinion one of the worst performers on 300blk. As stated above, the can was not made for it. The 7.62 RC was designed for full pressure loads and the 300WM. You can use the SPS on 16 inch 308 gas guns per Garin at Surefire without issue. Thread here somewhere.. The 7.62 mini however would be a good can for the SCAR, but not the best IMO with your other platforms. I notice less much flash on 5.56 RC's then comparing them to 7.62 minis on the same 11.5 SBR platform. Also testing at night with NV devices.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've got a friend who owns an AAC Mini 4 that's dedicated to a full auto 10.5" shorty. He's got thousands of round through it, enough that he wore out the original barrel. He recently sent the Mini 4 back and had it rebuilt. I think it had baffle strikes from the worn out barrel. It cost about $700 to have it fixed. The Mini 4 works good. I got the chance to shoot it full auto before it was sent back and it sounded to my unscientific ear, much quieter than (of course) a bare muzzle. I still wanted my ear muffs on, though. I can't speak for the QD mount. I never tried mounting or unmounting the can. I'm giving serious consideration to the AAC Mini 4 for use on a 14.5" SOCOM
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-07-16 at 12:29.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast