Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 40SW - AR Platform Barrel reference

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
    I like 40 S&W. It works well and is versatile. While i dont have an AR in it, i do have a Sub2k that knocks the stuffing put of 4 legged critters.
    I have a G2 9mm. I am afraid a .40 might kick itself to pieces I have some Hi-Point 4095's. They are nice, accurate, and heavy. capacity right now is limited to 15rds. The 20rd Redball mags will be here someday.

Feedback Score
    You'll need a 45 buffer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batman4706 View Post
    You'll need a 45 buffer.
    I'm not sure who you are replying to. The OP was here yesterday yet isn't responding to this thread. I guess he's more of a lurker.
    Last edited by NQNPIII; 06-02-18 at 09:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    I'm not sure who you are replying to. The OP was here yesterday yet isn't responding to this thread. I guess he's more of a lurker.
    Sorry but I work for a living - Poor excuse but it is what it is.

I didn't want to spend 300+ for a barrel when I was given a Quarter Circle 10 barrel - 16" 1/16 twist .578 x 28 threaded end. I could not get the Q10 barrel to feed any 180 ball ammo without the bullet being set back into the case .007"+ after chambering. The bullet profile makes feeding difficult.
    After 3 attempts at ramping the feed ramp I was able to get the barrel to feed anything well. It ended up with the very back of the bottom of the case not supported - Almost exactly like a typical Glock barrel. No problem with factory loads but I wanted to run hot loads. I was looking for 1150 -1200 FPS with a 180gr and 1350+ for 165gr from a 16" barrel. Very, very hot. I didn't trust the bottom of the case not being supported.
    I ended up buying a barrel from Frontier Armory expensive. It was exactly like the Q10 barrel so same manufacturer is supplying barrels to many vendors for the 40SW.
    I ramped the Frontier barrel also but not as aggressively - It needs more work. Now - After 200 rounds, the 180Grs would start to push back into the case .007+ and after about 250 I would start to get miss-feeds. The bullet would nose up and not feed onto the chamber.
    165Grs - No problem - runs like a champ. I have not tried to work up any hot loads yet. I am getting 1200 - 1250+Fps out of factory 165GR ball.
    3"-4" at 100 meters using a circle dot - 65" circle. My eyesight isn't that good. I will use a scope for load development. +/- 110" drop at 300 meters hitting a 20" plate. After 300 it gets difficult with a circle dot. Iv'e taken it to 400 but hold over is massive and the circle is no longer useable. I am only hitting about 1 in every 5-7 rounds sitting or prone 40" plate. Wind drift is a bitch. If I can figure out the proper barrel ramping, I will use only 180Grn hot loads.

Assembly below - I spent way too much money on a PPC

Frontier Armory Side charge upper $210.00
    Frontier Armory Glock Lower $159.00
    Frontier Armory Bolt $159.00
    Frontier 40SW Barrel $130.00
    Slashes Heavy Buffer & Wolf Rifle spring $75.00
    Geissele SSAE Trigger $140.00
    BAD Short throw safety $ 51.96
    BAD Extended bolt release $ 27.30
    Seekins mag release button $ 3.90
    VG6 300BK Brake counter-board $ 00.00
    Thorsen FRS 15 Stock $127.50
    Miscellaneous pins, springs and SHT Approx $ 25.00
    FFL Transfer / Paper work $ 55.00
    Clymer Go / No Go Gauge set $ 39.00
    Grand figin total $1202.66

Heavy PPC because of the Buffer & Bolt weight + I live in Kalifornia thus the Thordsen stock assembly.

I posted this info on another forum but my original numbers were incorrect.

Hopes this helps and answers most questions
    Last edited by Dogbite; 06-08-18 at 14:59. Reason: Still Kan't spell

Feedback Score
    I am back to the grind again myself. Leave 7 am and happy to get home by 9. 560mi under my belt.

So have you had a chance to run this thing? Only Frontier parts I have is the BCG. I may put my together this weekend. Speaking with Ian over at Kaw Valley he recommended removing the nub on the face of the bottom of the bolt. I will run mine without removing the nub first.

Thanks for the reply!!

Feedback Score
    I am back to the grind again myself. Leave 7 am and happy to get home by 9. 560mi under my belt.

So have you had a chance to run this thing? Only Frontier parts I have is the BCG. I may put my together this weekend. Speaking with Ian over at Kaw Valley he recommended removing the nub on the face of the bottom of the bolt. I will run mine without removing the nub first.

Thanks for the reply!!
    Re-read above post -
    With my current position in life, I have an opportunity to play / shoot 1 to 3 times a month if I am Lucky. One of the days I try to make it to a local 3-gun event. Very few use a PPC because we shoot out to 325 +/- yards. My PPC in 40SW is fun and I enjoy shooting it but until I can invest more time in development, I wouldn't consider it a defensive or offensive tool. I have to do some more work on the barrel feed ramp.
    I thought I had it figured out so I shimmed the barrel to a +.001" fit to the receiver. Oven heat receiver 350F and Dry ice the barrel using a stainless shim wrapped around the extension. I trued the receiver to the barrel first. If I want to ramp the barrel more, I have to press the barrel out and I am just too lazy / no time to do it. It currently feeds / works well with 165gr bullets so I haven't worried about it. When I do show UP at 3-Gun events, most of the others my group are exceedingly surprised at the hits at 300+ and the plink it makes on steel at that distance. It does take while for the bullet to travel that far though LOLOLOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbite View Post
    Re-read above post -
    With my current position in life, I have an opportunity to play / shoot 1 to 3 times a month if I am Lucky. One of the days I try to make it to a local 3-gun event. Very few use a PPC because we shoot out to 325 +/- yards. My PPC in 40SW is fun and I enjoy shooting it but until I can invest more time in development, I wouldn't consider it a defensive or offensive tool. I have to do some more work on the barrel feed ramp.
    I thought I had it figured out so I shimmed the barrel to a +.001" fit to the receiver. Oven heat receiver 350F and Dry ice the barrel using a stainless shim wrapped around the extension. I trued the receiver to the barrel first. If I want to ramp the barrel more, I have to press the barrel out and I am just too lazy / no time to do it. It currently feeds / works well with 165gr bullets so I haven't worried about it. When I do show UP at 3-Gun events, most of the others my group are exceedingly surprised at the hits at 300+ and the plink it makes on steel at that distance. It does take while for the bullet to travel that far though LOLOLOL
    Damn! You are more into the tech than I am,... I did cut a ramp into the Kaw Valley barrel. My upper is an Aero

Feedback Score
    Damn! You are more into the tech than I am,... I did cut a ramp into the Kaw Valley barrel. My upper is an Aero
    You will be happy with the 40SW - It is fun.
    If I were to do an assembly again, I would go 9mm. The ballistics are very similar but a light pay load. If you compete, probably a better option. I went with 40SW because I am set up for it.
    The 9mm bullet profile makes feeding much easier - Lighter bolt & buffer assembly too making it a bit faster for follow ups.
    I have never had the opportunity to try 40SW in selective fire so I can't make any comparison but I would image that the grouping would be larger.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    We had h&k mp40s in our swat team for a long time. 2 round burst and full auto were controlable. Those guns have wasted alot of expensive duty ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    We had h&k mp40s in our swat team for a long time. 2 round burst and full auto were controlable. Those guns have wasted alot of expensive duty ammo.
    One of My favorite designs. In my opinion, a much better platform. Given the opportunity, I would waste a bunch TOO LOLOLOL
    Last edited by Dogbite; 06-12-18 at 09:13. Reason: Still KKKKan't spell

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast