Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Budget" scopes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

"Budget" scopes

For use on the range (100-300 yards) is there such thing as a decent scope in the $400 range?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Growing up I never had a scope on a hunting rifle that costs much over $100, and they did just fine.
    I've been satisfied with most of the Nikons I've had. I guess it all depends on what you are accustomed to.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Feedback Score
    I've been looking at scopes along these lines. Not familiar with the brand, but seems to be some off-brand Chinese product:

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/meopta-...FQkyaQodkWcNAg

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I've been looking at scopes along these lines. Not familiar with the brand, but seems to be some off-brand Chinese product:

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/meopta-...FQkyaQodkWcNAg
    Meopta are made in the Czech Republic and are pretty good scopes. But they have lower end scopes like the one you're looking at, and more expensive models.

Feedback Score
    Super sniper fixed power scopes are good.

Heavy, ok glass, but hold zero.

$400 should be fine for a scope as long as it's not one with a ton of bells and whistles. Fixed power, don't expect it to pass a box test, but should hold zero fine with normal range use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh please, there's mechanically sound optics out there for under $400 that will pass a box test. If the mechanics aren't sound, a scope isn't worth buying.

Heck, here's a 3-12 Weaver Grand Slam for $350. It'll track.
    https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re-...cle-matte.html

Lots of options for under $400 that'll be mechanically sound. They just might not have all of the bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    $400 should be fine for a scope as long as it's not one with a ton of bells and whistles. Fixed power, don't expect it to pass a box test, but should hold zero fine with normal range use.
    Last edited by seedubs1; 12-12-16 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'd look for a PST 1-4 on the EE for around that. A Burris MTAC could probably be had for that. Or a Leupold Mark AR. I only have personal experience with the Vortex and I like it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Your rifle will never shoot better than your optic. If your optic won't hold zero you won't either. If you want to spend less on an optic look at a quality brand in a fixed power.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    If you decide to go fixed, I have a SWFA Super Sniper that's not currently mounted. It's a very solid scope and the glass is decent. Definitely capable of the range you mention and then some. Let me know it will be considerably less than
    your $400 budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I have never tried one on this platform but Redfield scopes are worth a look. I say that because they are very reasonably priced and ,as Redfield is owned by Leupold, they come with the Leupold warranty. I have a Redfield spotting scope and people at the range always comment on how crisp and clear the glass is. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast