Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dependable Hand held GPS?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    I am a Garmin person, but what about the GPS APP's?

HUNT Maps are an essential tool for your hunting arsenal. Our maps add a layer of private land information, which shows obvious property lines and landowner information, along with other critical map data important to hunters. HUNT Maps offer full GPS functionality giving hunters the ability to always know their location relative to property boundaries while see new access areas, roads, hunting units, and more! onXmaps HUNT Maps are even endorsed by numerous state and federal agencies as the most reliable source for public and private land ownership on the market. HUNT Smarter with a HUNT Map to match your unique style today!
    https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/overv...FQZYDQodnr0A7g

Article from PC Mag http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414409,00.asp
    That sounds like they are basing that on PVA info and that frequently isn't quite what I would refer to as being reliable as far as property lines go.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I know my old eTrex has worked well for me. I found lithium batteries give more runtime. If you choose lithium, check to see if you have a setting for lithium batteries so you have a more accurate battery gauge. The power supply curve is much different, lithium’s hold strong for a long time and then fall off rapidly.

Feedback Score
    +1 for Garmin Foretrex 401 Simple, easy, and works...you can't go wrong. I also love my Garmin Fenix 5X so I basically have something all the time.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FJCowboy View Post
    +1 for Garmin Foretrex 401 Simple, easy, and works...you can't go wrong. I also love my Garmin Fenix 5X so I basically have something all the time.
    Is the Fenix worth the coin, or is it just a great idea but too small to actually use?

Feedback Score
    There is no doubt it is expensive. I had the Fenix v1 so this was quite the upgrade for me. I wouldn't suggest it being your only GPS, but for what it has I think it is a really good setup. I have used it to navigate back to camp when a path we took ended up being blocked by down trees and had to navigate around to get back on track. I use it a ton for workouts with runs and mountain biking. It has all the heartrate features which I like. Also, it is a smartwatch and I didn't previously have one. So for me, it checked a lot of boxes all in one package. I used it for hunting for getting to/from blinds as well. It is a small feature, but the fact that the alarm can be on vibrate versus beeping is a huge win. I would much rather have a watch vibrating on my wrist versus a loud sound alarm that wakes up my wife and/or others while camping or whatever. With the 5X Plus, they really increased battery life which was another huge checkmark for me. Fully admit, I'm a big Garmin fan especially when it comes to anything GPS. All of this to say, yes I think it is worth the coin if you are going to use all the features. I don't see my upgrading anytime soon as the version increase is good, but not amazing. Since I went from a 1 to a 5X Plus, I'm probably good to stay with this one for a bit. Hope that helps and happy to answer any other questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12