Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16" AR-10 Muzzle Blast

Feedback Score

16" AR-10 Muzzle Blast

Hello, as well as adding a new handguard to my AR-10 (that's another thread), I'm also looking to uprgrade the muzzle device. Righ now, with an A2 style birdcage, the rifle is rather blasty; the noise and thump it makes is noticeably more than the bolt actions I own in similar calibers. It isn't so much that I can't stand it or don't enjoy shooting the gun, and I recognize this is just one of the trade offs of such a high power carbine, but I would like to know if there are any muzzle devices out there (aside suppresors) that can make it a little bit more comfortable.
    I am looking at the Troy Claymore, which operates my directing the gasses straight foreword out the barrel and away from the shooter, and would like to know if anyone has any experience with this style muzzle device.
    I am also wondering if a couple inches more barrel length would have any real effect. I have a chromed line, 18" mid-length barrel in the closet that was given to me, and before I go through the trouble of swapping barrels to see what's what I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much, if any, difference I could expect.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have shot many 308's in 16, 18, and 20 inch barrels. The difference in muzzle blast between the 16 and 20 is indeed noticeable, and even a 18 is at least somewhat better. The linear comp devices may reduce it somewhat but the classic trade off is lack of compensation and flash hiding.

My 16" carbine is a flamethrower! It is loud even compared to a SBR. In my mind 18" is probably the optimal length for a 308 carbine barrel given the trade-off between blast, portability, and velocity.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I notice a big difference in blast and sound from my SCAR (16") to my Windham 308 (18") both are equipped with the same pws brake.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    An extra 2" of barrel will actually make a difference. That seems drastic, but since you already have the barrel... why not?

As for muzzle devices, these are three low-blast options:
    -AAC Blackout pure flash hider
    -Simple Threaded Device ("STD")
    -any of the linear compensators, and based on reviews I'd look first at the Black River Tactical Covert Comp.

I have the Blackout on a 5.56 and can confirm it is surprisingly quiet. Likewise I have two examples of the Simple Threaded Device, one on a 16" 5.56 and one on a 16" 300BLK, and both are quite effective with no major drawbacks besides flash. I have an off brand of linear comp and it does not impress me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Anything past the a2 will be worse. I recommend a suppressor.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Anything past the a2 will be worse. I recommend a suppressor.
    No. Scroll halfway down to the sound pressure level test results:

http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/uncateg...ce-comparison/
    http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/wp-cont.../01/splear.jpg

On a 16" 5.45, the A2 device produced 157db at the shooter's ear, compared to 153 for the Blackout and 154 for the STD. A 3db increase in SPL is twice as loud, so the STD cuts noise at the shooter's ear in half, and the Blackout cuts it by more than half, per this test.

Of course it's not nearly the sound reduction you could get from a sound suppressor, but it's a tiny fraction of the size, weight and cost, and doesn't require a 6-month (or whatever it's running today) waiting period.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    No. Scroll halfway down to the sound pressure level test results:

http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/uncateg...ce-comparison/
    http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/wp-cont.../01/splear.jpg

On a 16" 5.45, the A2 device produced 157db at the shooter's ear, compared to 153 for the Blackout and 154 for the STD. A 3db increase in SPL is twice as loud, so the STD cuts noise at the shooter's ear in half, and the Blackout cuts it by more than half, per this test.

Of course it's not nearly the sound reduction you could get from a sound suppressor, but it's a tiny fraction of the size, weight and cost, and doesn't require a 6-month (or whatever it's running today) waiting period.
    Good to know!

Feedback Score
    I have a linear compensator on my 17 inch .308.
    It makes it quite pleasurable to shoot compared to the brake that was on it before.
    Makes quite a bit of muzzle blast in the dark though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I had windham weaponry src 308 and it was blasty. Went with a lantac dragon and it was still blasty but a lot more comfortable recoil wise. A couple extra inches will indeed make a difference with the blast.

Feedback Score
    Surefires warcomp is nice, I have one on my 16", tames it a little. A sure fire socom mini is on the way.....early next year hopefully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast