Thread: Buffer/BCG question

Feedback Score

Buffer/BCG question

Alright, I decided to pick up a full 11.5" SRU (Suppressor-Ready Upper) from MicroMOA for my pistol build. I spoke to one of the owners who does the tuning/testing. He said the Govnah gas block on this upper was specifically tuned to run with a Springco White, H buffer and standard weight BCG. Here's where I run into a dilemma: I have already purchased the Faxon Gunner light weight BCG. He said this combo may still run fine with the addition of an H2 buffer, but couldn't say for sure. My gun will NOT be suppressed for the time being. I have the Spikes pistol tube kit on order - comes with the standard milspec spring and the ST-T2 buffer, which is 4oz compared to 3.8oz on the H buffer. In order to make up for the lower mass on the BCG, would using the ST-T2 and the Springco Blue spring possibly be a good combination? Or should I go with a White spring and just get a heavier buffer? Or, Blue spring with heavier H2 buffer? OR, should I just sell/return the Faxon BCG and go with a coated milspec BCG like the WMD or something?
    Last edited by 01svtL; 12-20-16 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    yes , buy everything known to man and try 600 things until the gun will not run. Just kinda kidding

or

Just try what you have and change one thing at a time. Never heard of a light weight BCG, but you mentioned several unknowns to this simpleton. Try what you have then borrow a friends H2…one step at a time.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Buffer/BCG question

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    yes , buy everything known to man and try 600 things until the gun will not run. Just kinda kidding
    This

or

Just try what you have and change one thing at a time. Never heard of a light weight BCG, but you mentioned several unknowns to this simpleton. Try what you have then borrow a friends H2…one step at a time.

PB
    And for sure this.

I've had an AR that had some cycling issues and the worst thing you can do is try to do is validate a 100 configurations when you haven't even tried the one you've purchased.

Try what you already own. Then if it doesn't cycle properly, troubleshoot it. But don't troubleshoot it by buying 3 different parts, you will never isolate the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 12-20-16 at 18:16. Reason: Corrected misspelling
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Must be time to post this again. Note what Jim Sullivan says starting 5:00 and specifically at 6:25.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Must be time to post this again. Note what Jim Sullivan says starting 5:00 and specifically at 6:25.
    "I've head of some people lightening the bolt...

That's just crazy."

Interesting video Tits. I have some homework to do tonight because he mentioned a couple of things I wasn't familiar with and want to get up to speed. He said AR-18? What was that a .375H&H? Jk.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Brosef,

Lightweight BCGs are for mouse-fart ammo/competition guns.

What's the intended application of the firearm?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Brosef,

Lightweight BCGs are for mouse-fart ammo/competition guns.

What's the intended application of the firearm?
    That's starting to become more clear to me. I like to run timed carbine classes, so being able to keep the gun on target and take down groups of things like bowling pins is what I'll mostly be doing with it, which is why I was going for light weight/minimal recoil. I have since learned that a properly tuned gas system will handle most of that. I already have the BCG though, so i was going to try to work around it. Maybe I'll just sell it and get a full weight BCG.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Definitely run with something with more ass to it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer a standard known quality carrier myself, but I'll play the devil's advocate. If you can get to the weight of a standard carrier and H buffer with your lightweight carrier and H2 or H3 it should be fine. Don't use the spikes "buffer".

Notice in the video it's adding the buffer that added weight, but he refers to it as adding weight to the carrier. So he is talking about the combined reciprocating weight.

FaxonNathan Guest
    To take advantage of a lightweight carrier, one must use an adjustable gas block. Otherwise, you are just compensating with a heavier buffer for a lightweight carrier.

If your objective is not to tune the weapon, stick with a standard weight carrier.