Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .300 WSM as a precision caliber?

Feedback Score

Question .300 WSM as a precision caliber?

In my process of determining what i want in my to-be-built precision rifle, i initially assumed .308 WIN would be my choice. However, i am becoming more intrigued with the .300 WSM for its range, additional energy, and hopefully, accuracy. I don't know of any match loads for it yet, but i suspect someone will produce a capable load (if the current premium hunting loads aren't accurate enough).

Both GA Precision and TacticalRifles.net can build them (i plan on having the rifle built on a Remington 700) but i haven't seen a great deal of feedback from end-users on the .300 WSM. I don't doubt the quality of the rifle manufacturing, i'm simply looking for feedback on this caliber in the role as a precision rifle chambering.

Does anyone have one, or have any comments to offer?

Thanks!

Jim

Feedback Score
    Does anyone here even own/shoot a .300 WSM rifle - regardless of brand, configuration, or purpose?

Jim

Feedback Score
    A good friend of mine was telling me about a test the Army did with the .300 WSM. His brother was the CO of the AMU at the time. They were impressed with the trajectory and ballistics of the round, but the barrel life was extremely low. Most of the barrels did not last 1,000 rounds before they had to be replaced.

If you plan on shooting a lot of ammo through this rifle that could be an issue.

Feedback Score
    I have a Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker in 300WSM. I am satisfied with it. It is reasonably accurate for a factory gun, it hits like a truck (deer have no chance), and recoil is managable even in the light configuration I have. I'm using a Vari X III Leupold 3.5-10 optic with Double Dovetail mounts, and the setup has withstood the rigors of Adirondak hunting very well

What else would you like to know?

On edit: I have been using Win Supreme Accubond 180 gr ammo, accuracy is not great but very good for a hunting rifle to 400m. I can tell you that my Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 is more accurate when using Federal Pemium with the Barnes Triple Shock X-bullet. But as far as the inherent accuracy of the 300 WSM round I am not qualified to say.

Feedback Score
    I KNEW some people around here had to have some thoughts on this!

Some of the more respected precision bolt rifle manufactures offer a .300 WSM version, and they offer some very specific statements about the accuracy of their rifles (generally anything .30 caliber or less). So i would assume the .300 WSM has the potential for great accuracy but i was interested in hearing from anyone who actually bought one of these rifles, in this caliber, to know how happy they are with the decision, etc.

I am a little concerned about REM's comment regarding barrel life - definitely something to bring up with the manufactures as i proceed. Aray, thanks for your info. I would likely use a similar scope, and i like Federal ammo, so that's what i would start out with.

Thanks.

Jim

Feedback Score
    I should be getting my M40-A5 in 300WSM from TacticalRifles in about 2 weeks. You should check out the following link: http://www.tacticalrifles.net/caliber_300_wsm.asp
    4%'er

“I'm the weapon, this is just a tool"
    -Michael Wilson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk51pdx View Post
    I KNEW some people around here had to have some thoughts on this!

Some of the more respected precision bolt rifle manufactures offer a .300 WSM version, and they offer some very specific statements about the accuracy of their rifles (generally anything .30 caliber or less). So i would assume the .300 WSM has the potential for great accuracy but i was interested in hearing from anyone who actually bought one of these rifles, in this caliber, to know how happy they are with the decision, etc.

I am a little concerned about REM's comment regarding barrel life - definitely something to bring up with the manufactures as i proceed. Aray, thanks for your info. I would likely use a similar scope, and i like Federal ammo, so that's what i would start out with.

Thanks.

Jim
    I have seen graphs of barrel life for a 300wsm somewhere, as I understand it, barrel life will reduce as more powder is burned/pressures go up. So it is the nature of the beast that a Magnum round will consume barrels more quickly than say a .308. This is conjecture only.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a .300 WSM. It is not any kind of tactical/ combat set up, but it does a hell of a job on the deer that I have shot with it. All in all I am happy with the round.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    I have seen graphs of barrel life for a 300wsm somewhere, as I understand it, barrel life will reduce as more powder is burned/pressures go up. So it is the nature of the beast that a Magnum round will consume barrels more quickly than say a .308. This is conjecture only.
    Regarding barrel life, let me first qualify my statements... I do not own a precision gun in any of the magnum rounds. I shoot .308 exclusively, and have not put enough rounds through my rifle to cause a degradation in accuracy. (Well into the thousands with a .308.) Having said that, I have spoken to quite a few folks who are in the business of either building precision guns or using them as part of their jobs. The general consensus from these folks seems to be that the barrel of a gun chambered in .308 typically outlasts a .300 Winmag gun by a factor of 3-4 times. I know that this doesn't specifically address the .300 WSM, but it gives a useful comparison of barrel life between a .308 and one of the .300 mags.

I recognize that there are legitimate reasons for stepping up to the .300 mags and larger, so the statements above aren't meant to invite debate as to which is "better." Perhaps someone else has some direct experience and can add to the above information?
    Last edited by yrac; 09-23-08 at 21:10. Reason: Grammatical errors.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your information, yrac. It certainly seems that barrel life is a legitimate issue/concern for anyone interested in magnum calibers. I'm a huge fan of the .308 Win as well as the .243 Win and the step up to a magnum is new to me.

However, i am beginning to think that staying with .308 might be my best course of action (i have a hunting .308 and a fast gun .308, but nothing to drive tacks...). I will never shoot enough to wear out the barrel, but the issues raised here point out meaningful differences between magnums and non-magnums.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast