Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .300 WSM as a precision caliber?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

300 WSM Accuracy

The 300 WSM is be used by more bullet manufacturers now to test the heavier bullets because of its inherit accuracy. From what I remember, Nosler is using 308 Win for 150 and below and 300 WSM for 165's on up. They are also using the 338 L for 338 batch testing over the 338 WM/RUM.

The question is how far do you plan on shooting. Once the 308 Win goes subsonic 850-1000 (depending on barrel length) you might as well be throwing rocks. That is where the 30-06 and mags come into play.

Feedback Score
    I find the 300WSM a bit finicky to reload. Full length sizing and bumping back the shoulder one to two thou' each time is hard on the brass. But I suppose the web of the 300WM just above the belt will give you about the same amount of firings.

I'm slinging 175 SMKs @ approx. 3040 fps from my WSM and in my 300WM, 190 SMK loaded to A191 specs.

A ballistic program will tell you that these loads are pretty similar.

Bill

Feedback Score
    Edited by YRAC. Not relevant to the original question about the performance of the .300 WSM in a precision rifle.
    Last edited by heijutsu; 10-24-08 at 11:11.
    4%'er

“I'm the weapon, this is just a tool"
    -Michael Wilson

Feedback Score

300 WSM Accuracy

I'm using a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker for hunting, and though I haven't gotten anything with that round it is fairly reliable for what I have to do.

I've started with 165 grain Barnes TSXs and did OK for me after initial break in. I shifted around a little bit because those projoes are pricy. I can get 100 Hornady 165s for price of 50 Barnes or Nosler. Even shifting from the Nosler (which were slightly tighter than the Barnes) I'm able to put 4 shots within 1.00" at 100 yards, gun probably shoots a little better if I were more into bench equipment.

I hear that 180 grain bullets might be better than the 165.

I load the 165 SSTs over 64.4 grains of H414,CCI mag primers and Remington brass. RCBS equipment and then get a little of the lands. I hear that some rifles have different throat configurations so my length won't match anyone else.

Again, I'm happy with 4 shots under an inch without trying too hard. If I get a solid rest and maybe some more tweaking and messin I might get even better. I do need to try IMR 4350 with the next loading cycle, especially if I go up to 180 grain pills.

I think 165 through 200 grain bullets are in the sweet spot. The 200 might be too long for the normal barrel twist and compacted powder loads. 200 grainers put a lot of the bullet into the case's capacity. That might be acceptable with Berger or other VLD bullets.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123