Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 Grain 5.56 Rounds

Feedback Score

100 Grain 5.56 Rounds

Are specialized military units using a 100 grain 5.56MM round? A co-worker of mine had heard about an unnamed military unit using this round. I haven't heard of anyone using this weight. Any information would be appreciated.

Andrew

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Haven't heard about anything like that but even 80gr pills have to be chambered individually if I'm not mistaken.

That would make make basically ammo for a bolt rifle, something that I think would be used in other calibers.

My personal opinion is that it's 100% BS but that's just me.

Now 70gr TSX brown tip, I've heard about those...

ETA: Wow, learned something new.

Feedback Score
    I remeber reading a post somewhere, and I belive it was writen by DocGKR and to paraphrase the 100gr 5.56 was a l110 tracer filled with lead, it need a twist rate more than 1in7 b/c it rainbowed. To end work was stopped when the 6.8 arived.
    sorry about the spelling

Feedback Score

Exclamation

The Ammo Oracle at TOS had photos of the 100gr bullet in question, along with a gel shot photo.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    From reports, not personal experience-
    While demonstrating excellent terminal ballisitcs the round was not sufficiently stabilized with 1:7 twist rate, causing very poor accuracy.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    At some point you have to question this nonsense. If you need a .308... GET a .308.

The 5.56 is never going to be a .308.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here are a couple of items I found on the subject of 100gr 5.56 ammo. Apparently Black Hills has created a 100gr loading in 5.56 that has a velocity of around 2459 fps, and supposedly it shows great terminal performance.

However I cannot find much info about the Black Hills 100gr round. Here's what I did find:

* A listing from page 8 in this linked PDF file, which is from a site titled Texas Small Arms Research. It shows a pic of the Black Hills 100gr round penetrating gelatin in testing.

* The new 100gr BTHP 5.56 ammo, loaded by Black Hills, is mentioned on this page in the Maryland AR-15 Shooters site. But no further details are given.

* This thread on ProfessionalSoldiers.com, mentioned the 100gr "experimental" Black Hills loading, but again, not much detail available.

It sounds like this thing already exists and is being used or at least tested somewhere, but is under wraps for now. The usage scenario is primarily as a CQB round.

Feedback Score
    The bullet was manufactured by Powell River Laboratories. PRL is now defunct.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There was some 100gr sub sonic at one point not sure if its still around.

MisterWilson- I think the brown tip I've heard of is not TSX but an improved RRLP (AA17). It has a FMJ to solve the feeding issues and I think a propellant change to help with the shorter barrels.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast