Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100 Grain 5.56 Rounds

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    DRT just sent some of their current production handgun and rifle ammo--I'll post results in the near future, as we are in the midst of extensive testing right now.
    Dr. Roberts,

Any info available yet on the DRT ammo?

Thanks,

Jason

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    The long 100-grainers that ATK offered sucked as far as accuracy from a GI 1-7 barrel. You'd need at least a six-inch twist to stabilize them.

Powell River Laboratories loads a very heavy tungsten core bullet that flies true. They are very much in business, but like many companies their sales are almost exclusively to the US Government. At approximately $1 a bullet (just the projo) back in 2003 you can see why.
    Really interesting stuff - Hi Sinister (Kat from SCDR) - Rod told me about the ammo and this thread!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A couple years ago we fired one round of Extreme Shock 100-grain "SRT" into gel per FBI protocols, through light clothing. The chrono was not cooperating that day so no reading, but penetration was 31.5". Retained weight and bullet diameter were "no change". This may have been a subsonic, I don't remember. It's a pressed-metal material, so I reckon it turns to powder on anything hard. Not sure what this load would be good for.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Was told that its a frangible load for CQB.

CD

Feedback Score
    I was under the impression that an AR mag couldn't fit rounds above 80gr?
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    I was under the impression that an AR mag couldn't fit rounds above 80gr?
    Reading the thread I'm assuming the weight is from the tungsten core. So OAL, I'm guessing, is less than an 80gr SMK.

Feedback Score
    Of course, it also helps that the manufacturers are purposely designing heavyweight projectiles to fit within the AR15 magazine. I believe that Berger was the first to use the term "LTB (Length Tolerant Bullet)" to designate which of their projectiles could be loaded to magazine length without forcing the ogive below the case mouth.

Feedback Score
    Combat_Diver, thank you for the photo! Not only did it remind me that I haven't been to this pub for awhile but there's nothing like seeing that familiar brown box with stripper clips ("stripper magazines?!") to get a better feel for its reality.

I think I'll be writing a message to Doc about a question I had some years ago about his opinions of the Barnes MPG now. Attached photo is an MPG from an ad which I accidentally hit an odd contrast combination. Still shadows but reminds me a little of an artificially colored Barnes_MPG_Bullets.jpghigh-speed X-ray where the W powder is opaque.

Warning: Off topic and silly ahead - so you might skip this part:
    Many years ago I was getting my NAUI and LA CO certs and on the checkout dive near the isthmus of Catalina I became for some exciting moments a combat-diver of sorts. A strong random current carried a small forest of kelp on me, couldn't budge, my young buddy swam off, my knife was on my calf and totally wrapped up. I'm okay at keeping calm but this was a new environment. I guessed I was using up fast what was left in my tank, so when I lifted my head for a second, bumped it into the keel of our boat and found myself staring at the 'intake' of both props, I knew I must have jumped another level in that video game! End the story not exciting, I finally got my knife, cut myself free (I bet I had too much loose gear including some air in the flotation vest). Got everyone's attention when I scolded at my teen partner (not for not hearing me tap on things etc) but for noticing I was gone, shrugging then enjoying the rest of his swim :P

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OT: Katgirl, I always carry at least two cutting implements when diving and make sure they are placed opposite. Normally, it is a knife on my right leg, EMT Shears in a Backplate waist strap mounted pouch on the left side. This way, if one side becomes fouled, I can still reach the other.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    katgirl,

Glad you made it out of that Kelp bed. I strap my dive tool down on the inside of my lower leg where I can reach it with either hand. Don't know if that would have worked in your senerio.

Here is some info I found online on the round.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast