Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Feedback Score
    For consistent groups- biggest factor for me was consistent trigger press. I tried pinning the trigger and it sucked.
    I started doing deliberate full presses and “resetting during recoil”, and me groups got much more consistent.
    It also took time for me to get used to it- just spending time at that distance helps.
    Everything needs to be the same each shot. Grip pressure, grip, trigger press, reset, sight picture, etc

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What I learned is that after about 600 rounds in 100 degree heat, I don't really GAF where my front sight is when the shot breaks.

Unfortunately, I learned this on the plate rack at a GSSF match yesterday.

Ahh, it's only money.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    That's good shooting, Coal Dragger!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Kind of dumb, but never realized how important a simple shot timer is. I don't shoot competitively so never used one. After having it though, it was incredible getting that feedback and having an objective way to measure performance. I don't think one single thing has improved my shooting more than that. I like the little bit of stress it adds. Also really highlights stuff in desperate need of attention...in my case mag changes were abysmally slow. I hadn't really considered that as being something I did really badly until I measured it. Also highlighted a bad habit of wanting to move my feet transitioning targets (that are fairly close to each other) instead of just shifting my hips which showed up in splits. Also awesome for highlighting issues that result from a grip that needs some work. Until seeing the time loss at 3rd or 4th target & figuring out that was where I was wanting to "milk" my grip a bit, i thought it was pretty good. Just nice to do different drills & get that instant feedback, dissect where the lost time going, and know what needs the most attention. Since I mostly shoot alone, wish I would have thought to get one years ago.....
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Glock 43x. Why, I have three of them now.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Glock 43x. Why, I have three of them now.
    So you learned what?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    The Beretta M81FS I carry really takes extra effort and practice to get good A zone hits at 25 yds.

I think the biggest reason is the small sights and short sight radius.

When I shoot nearly any larger pistol at 20-25 yd A-zone hits go way up along with speed.

I love the little Beretta but it's really more of a 15 yd pistol without considerable, recent practice. It's taken about 4 years for me to realize this, or maybe, admit it to myself.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don’t know if I’ve just gotten worse or if I’ve always been this bad at it, but I really suck at wanting to see my target. Even when it’s clean, my eye is just drawn to whatever the target is and I really have to force my sights higher (I hold them low so that I can see) and focus on the front sight. Obviously optics very much help compensate for this habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don’t know if I’ve just gotten worse or if I’ve always been this bad at it, but I really suck at wanting to see my target. Even when it’s clean, my eye is just drawn to whatever the target is and I really have to force my sights higher (I hold them low so that I can see) and focus on the front sight. Obviously optics very much help compensate for this habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have several steel targets hanging around my property in the wooded area along the creek bed that I regularly shoot. When I had them painted white I found myself looking at the target to see the hits instead me watching my front sight. So I painted them camouflage with khaki and OD green. This 1. Made the targets more realistic and 2. Kept me from looking for the hits and just being satisfied with the ring while concentrating on my front sight. I go forward later to look at the hits.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I didn't learn this today but I have come to the conclusion that I really need to fix my natural POA and sight alignment with pistol.

I am heavily left eye dominant and right handed. When I naturally point the sights should look like ... |--|--|

instead they look like |-|---| and my shots go left. i move the sights into alignment but I think in the course of pulling the trigger they become naturally misaligned again.

I'm trying to develop a new natural grip with my right hand which helps but ti also puts my index finger more forward and tends to snag on the front of the trigger guard now.

I was taught to align the gun with the forearm bone. But I need to have the back strap off on an angle sort of pressing into that meaty part of my hand to get a natural POA that has the sights correctly aligned when I raise the gun. I guess I'll get used to it but not sure what else to do.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast