Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Shooting my G 19 at an FBI silhouette target at 15 yards with an 8" 8 ring I can keep 95% of my shots inside the 8 ring, 75 % inside the 9 ring. Shooting an 8" steel plate is a different story, for some reason I can't do the same, I miss the 8"plate more than the 8 ring on paper.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I could be off but there's a saying "you aim at paper and shoot at steel" My take on that is the steel is more engaging which may affect your marksmanship, that should tell you something.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I had a trainer tell me it could be the small black bull in the center of the paper target concentrates my point of aim but the all white steel doesn't. I plan on putting a black aiming point in the center of the steel and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Aim small, miss small.

I am another trigger pinner (didn't know that's what it was called until I read this thread.) Because of that, my first shot will often nail the target, but I have a tendency to send follow-up shots wild. Only happens when I let myself get rushed. I also have trouble with weak side supported or weak hand only shots.

Headed to an LAV pistol class in a couple of weeks. I'm dry-firing now to try and minimize the issues I know about, because I'm sure I have more.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What have I learned about my shooting? I feel the more I practice, the more practice I need.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Shooting is like a golf swing for me. The more rounds I put down range, and pay attention to the fundamentals, the better I am. When I go some time without shooting, my skills suffer greatly. I can still be "combat accurate", but it takes a while to shake the rust off.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I had a trainer tell me it could be the small black bull in the center of the paper target concentrates my point of aim but the all white steel doesn't. I plan on putting a black aiming point in the center of the steel and see what happens.
    Instead of painting a black dot on your steel, pick a spot. Pick a spot in the center of what you want hit and aim for that spot. One drill we have shot is to put up a large, blank piece of paper, pick a spot and shoot a group. When hunting, animals don't come with a bullseye, yet the hunter needs to put the bullet into the vitals, so the hunter needs to learn to know what they need to hit and pick the spot that will allow them to hit it. When a hunter simply shots at the animal instead of picking a spot, they miss more often, or worse, sound the animal instead of making a clean kill
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    What have I learned about my shooting? I feel the more I practice, the more practice I need.
    Tell me about it. The more I practice reloads, the more I screw up inserting the mag. I'm hoping it's just because I'm pushing myself to failure since it's practice.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Instead of painting a black dot on your steel, pick a spot. Pick a spot in the center of what you want hit and aim for that spot. One drill we have shot is to put up a large, blank piece of paper, pick a spot and shoot a group. When hunting, animals don't come with a bullseye, yet the hunter needs to put the bullet into the vitals, so the hunter needs to learn to know what they need to hit and pick the spot that will allow them to hit it. When a hunter simply shots at the animal instead of picking a spot, they miss more often, or worse, sound the animal instead of making a clean kill
    Good way of putting it. Kind of obvious, but not something I had thought of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    But after the first shot you then have a spot to aim for.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have learned that I can out shoot the majority of the gun owning public with NO SIGHTS on my gun. :-(

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast