Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Shot pistol at 25yd B8s for the first time today. It sucked about as bad as I expected. It’s been a few months since I’ve shot pistol and I am really shitty about dry firing so it shows. Gun was a Roland Special, RMR zero’d for 124gr +P Gold Dots at 15. “Unknown” refers to the ammo, most likely it was Freedom 115 gr.

The ten yard targets made my ego feel a little better until I got lazy after deciding it was time to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 07-07-19 at 16:22.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Why do you think you're all over the place at 25 yards? For me, using a similar pistol, when I "pull" a shot its usually low and sometime left (I'm right handed), visits to Flinchville. You're shots outside the black look different, so it seems less likely to be the flichies. What's your thoughts on the misses?

THis is one of my favorite threads, and I really appreciate those who shoot and share, regardless of of the result.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Why do you think you're all over the place at 25 yards? For me, using a similar pistol, when I "pull" a shot its usually low and sometime left (I'm right handed), visits to Flinchville. You're shots outside the black look different, so it seems less likely to be the flichies. What's your thoughts on the misses?

THis is one of my favorite threads, and I really appreciate those who shoot and share, regardless of of the result.
    Squeezing the trigger when the sights were not aligned and/or on target. Only add pull pressure on the trigger when your sights are aligned and on target give you hits 100%. Easier said than done, but with practice and discipline very easy to accomplish slowly and with repetition speed comes as well. It's why dry fire practice is so critical, repetition is the key to mastery.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Squeezing the trigger when the sights were not aligned and/or on target. Only add pull pressure on the trigger when your sights are aligned and on target give you hits 100%. Easier said than done, but with practice and discipline very easy to accomplish slowly and with repetition speed comes as well. It's why dry fire practice is so critical, repetition is the key to mastery.
    I was actually thinking about that a good bit when looking at these targets and agree. Obviously I have misses attributable to flinchville but those are more apparent when I'm shooting faster. For bullseye/slow fire stuff, I have a really weird tendency to maintain a low POA. My guess is that its due to a natural desire to want to see, which means that if something is in front of my face, I'm fighting the subconscious decision to lower that thing so I can see better, regardless of whether its a clean target or not. Even with an RDS, my POA usually stays low and I have to work to bring the gun up on target. I was actually paying attention to it while shooting and it almost felt as if holding low was like being in my natural point of aim, and then I had to raise my hands to an uncomfortable height to correct my POA before firing. I felt less comfortable, which means that my hands are less steady and my wobble zone increases. But I have a really bad habit of getting impatient and just sending it to see where the shot ends up, which is a part of the reason that I signed up for Chuck's no fail pistol and started working at 25. Today I was deliberately trying to come off the trigger if I knew the dot wasn't on target so I could reacquire, but that bad habit is definitely ingrained in there and will take some work to get rid of.

This is less of a problem when I shoot for time and why I hate shooting slow fire, but I know that if I can tighten up the deliberately aimed groups, my faster shots will only improve as well. Its weird to think about though, because it seems like you should be able to just put the dot on the target and keep it there.
    Last edited by Wake27; 07-07-19 at 18:32.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I was out today and shot some 25 yard B-8's Freestyle and Strong Hand with a G19 w/ RDS, before the sky opened up on me and drenched everything I had at the range. Rain, in July, in Texas...c'mon!!! Its just supposed to be f'ing hot now, not raining on my range day. Lightning kept me from continuing, but still got in a couple of hours of solid practice.

Attachment 57958
    First B-8 Freestyle was just OK, some definite flinching and trigger control nonsense going on.

Attachment 57959
    Second B-8 is the best score I've gotten on a 2 hand 25 yd slow fire target. I was listening to Chuck Pressburg's Q&A yesterday and his discussion of shooting the B-8 like its one shot, the best shot you've ever taken, 10 times was a great explanation and I focused on this concept on this B-8, and the 3rd which I shot Strong Hand only...

Attachment 57960
    Notice the "flinchie" the made the score a low 90's instead of better.

Attachment 57961
    Last B-8 strong hand and my concentration waned, which is obvious as I shot all over the place.

Grip, concentration, proper take-up of the trigger before firing and proper gaps between shots was the lesson today.

Feedback Score
    Well crap, I just looked for some B-8's and I'm out of them again. Range day tomorrow hopefully, Lazy Wolf Guns flat faced trigger installed in my ACRO'd VP9 and I think I have it dialed in for over travel adjustment, I also gently polished the disconnector bar that the trigger bar rides on to make it smooth and free of any tool marks. Trigger now has the same take up feel as a Geissele two stage, and a very similar break with not even a hint of over travel. The red dot does not budge when the trigger releases the striker, and I've been doing dry fire repetitions since I installed it this afternoon.

Just need to find some damn targets, I guess I can use rifle zeroing targets again but the inside of the box is a bit smaller than the black on a B8 and is square, and has no scoring rings.

Feedback Score
    Worked on 25 yard standing two handed slow fire today with the VP9 long slide and ACRO P-1, my first session with the new Lazy Wolf Guns flat faced trigger with over travel adjustment. Sadly I couldn't find any B8's so instead had to resort to 8' diameter Shoot-N'-See targets. For comparison the B8 target has an 8 ring that is 8" in diameter, the 9 ring is 5.5" diameter, the 10 ring is 3.75" diameter, and the X ring is 1.75" diameter; the Shoot-N'-See I am using as a substitute also has a nominal 8" diameter for the 7 ring, a 5.75" 8 ring, a 4.0" 9 ring, and a 2.5" 10 ring, with no real X ring to speak of aside from a .75" red colored dot in the center.

First string of 5 rounds:

Second string of 5 rounds:

Third string of 5 rounds (note sight adjustment of left windage made before firing):

Last string of 5 rounds:

Range conditions today: 92 F, very sunny, light breeze. Range was not too busy at first but after my first 15 rounds at 25 yards a bunch of other shooters showed up making documentation of each 5 rounds string of slow fire impractical.

At the end I did run a B27 out to 50 yards to just to verify where the dot was looking relative to round impacts, shot 5 rounds standing holding high thoracic cavity. At this point I was clearly annoying all of the dudes who wanted to blaze away at 5 yards, so I called it a day.

I need to get some more B8's.

Take aways from today's session:

Red dot sights make distance shooting with a pistol easier. A trigger with virtually no over travel makes consistent shooting a lot easier. My experience shooting competitive bullseye is paying dividends on this type of shooting.

I'm still having mixed results presenting the pistol to the target and getting the dot in the window, or over driving the gun to target and having the dot bouncing all around. I need a lot more work here. Did some Bill Drills the other day and the dot is making it pretty clear than my draw and presentation are hot garbage.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 07-12-19 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Well crap, I just looked for some B-8's and I'm out of them again.

Just need to find some damn targets, I guess I can use rifle zeroing targets again but the inside of the box is a bit smaller than the black on a B8 and is square, and has no scoring rings.

B8s sized for regular paper

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...87921559727703

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I watched a video by Karl Erickson (Tactical Response) where he said he with irons he uses the big peep aperture. I asked him in response section how far away that was good for. He replied 220 yards. I ran a test and out to 100 and found the larger peer, ghost ring, was faster and just as accurate even at the 100 yard mark. This was surprising to me.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast