Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    At my last range trip last weekend, I learned very quickly that I had over-estimated my handgun skills. I printed off a drill from T.Rex arms, and proceeded to butcher the ever-living hell out of it. I also learned that as much as I love them, at speed+distance, the Trijicon HD's are hard to make hits on non-large steel targets.

20190817_150936 by Willis, on Flickr
    20190817_153546 by Willis, on Flickr
    20190817_152050 by Willis, on Flickr
    20190817_152715 by Willis, on Flickr

Then I thought; Even though I have very little training on my RMR'd 19, I bet you at range my target will be cleaner, and before I ran out of ammo, I was wrong again.
    20190817_153546 by Willis, on Flickr

All this really did was make me take a long look at myself, and realize that I need to do this more, and I need to do this better. I am going to do this drill at least twice every range trip from here on in, and see if I can tighten things up.
    I do the 5x5 drill and dot torture on most range trips, but have never seen this one. Thanks for posting, I just printed some off. Looks like a challenging test with the time limits. I am sure it will take some work

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I do the 5x5 drill and dot torture on most range trips, but have never seen this one. Thanks for posting, I just printed some off. Looks like a challenging test with the time limits. I am sure it will take some work
    I usually warm up with a dot drill every range trip I do, this one I did not. I'm hoping to get back out there this weekend and try to improve.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    WOTTA difference a STANCE makes!

Been level, but left, for a while now with Weaver. Was thinking before I went to the range, I was going to try isosceles, just to see what happens. I'd dropped back to my trusty Ruger Mk.III, JUST so I could concentrate on the fundamentals that day.

First mag, I went Weaver. Sure enough, level, but left - even with .22's (I'm an ALL-1911-ALL-the-time-in-.45 guy otherwise, for reference). So I change to Isosceles on the next mag, and save for a flier, I'm ALL bullseyes!

And I stayed Isosceles, for the next 380 rounds. Save for a flier here & there, same result - bullseyes!

I felt like a kid in grade school again - I wanted to bring my targets home and hang them on the fridge, like a kid who's just made a an "A+" on his test!

Of course, in the short term, if Mugger T. Homeboy busts into the house, I just have to mow him down, Isosceles-style. "T.J. Hooker" always made it look AWESOME... but then... no one was ACTUALLY shooting back at the toupee, either. And I'm a damn big, inviting, target, standing Isosceles.

Clearly, when I go BACK to Weaver, I'm going to need to hold my right arm (I'm right-handed, right-eye dominant, for reference) straighter/more firmly. If anyone has any other analysis of what's going on with me, feel free to sing out. I'd BEEN shooting weaver FINE for 30 years - primarily with .45 & 10mm, but also with 9mm and .40 (but neither of those in 20 years). Just in the last 12-18 mos., I'd started drifting left. Until going Isosceles on Monday.
    I can’t speak to why you started drifting recently, but I’m not aware of any people that still shoot weaver. My last few instructors have all been about a version of iso, that’s a little more aggressive. Surf and his crew call it a power iso. It involves dropping your dominant foot back a good ways, locking that knee, and then loading or leaning into your front knee. Works great for recoil management across a variety of weapons. The last instructor I shot with had a similar version that he apparently got from Kyle Lamb, where you turn the back foot out a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I can’t speak to why you started drifting recently, but I’m not aware of any people that still shoot weaver. My last few instructors have all been about a version of iso, that’s a little more aggressive. Surf and his crew call it a power iso. It involves dropping your dominant foot back a good ways, locking that knee, and then loading or leaning into your front knee. Works great for recoil management across a variety of weapons. The last instructor I shot with had a similar version that he apparently got from Kyle Lamb, where you turn the back foot out a bit.
    HMMMM... that's KINDA what I was practicing!

If you stand square up - even shooting .22's - you tend to want to fall backwards. So I was putting my right foot back a bit, and leaning into my left while shooting.

Reckon I'll put my left foot back, and lean into my right next time, and see what happens.

And when did Weaver get abandoned?!?! Geez... I gotta STOP re-reading "Cooper's Corner" one of these days...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Shot the POST(?) assessment tonight, which was the first time I’ve shot from concealment in probably almost a year, and rarely have ever been able to do it before that. I’d guess I’ve shot from concealment less than 10 times ever. Tonight was the first time that I really noticed a difference when comparing it to my usual OWB setup though. Not sure if it was just a weird night or the AIWB really did mess me up for some reason but I was searching for the dot like crazy. That hasn’t been a problem in a long time. My guess is that the differences in the draw meant I didn’t have as high of an index when pushing the gun out from the compressed high ready, so it took longer to find the dot. Clearly found something new to practice.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    VISION! I learned that shooting with your eyes open actually works!

Been wearing glasses for driving since I was 17 but for everything else i had no issues without glasses. My last pair was bought 10 years ago. Last year I did notice a difference but didn't seem that bad. Finally last Sept went to the optometrist and holy hell I may as well be a sniper now! I'm no longer fighting myself in training and classes

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    VISION! I learned that shooting with your eyes open actually works!

Been wearing glasses for driving since I was 17 but for everything else i had no issues without glasses. My last pair was bought 10 years ago. Last year I did notice a difference but didn't seem that bad. Finally last Sept went to the optometrist and holy hell I may as well be a sniper now! I'm no longer fighting myself in training and classes
    Yeah there’s definitely something to be said for having eye pro/glasses that aren’t fighting you. I forgot my good eyepro while shooting on Sunday and there was a scratch on my backup pair that interfered perfectly with my eyesight and sight picture. I had to hold my head high and look under the scratch the whole time, almost as if I was shooting under my NODs. Pain in the ass for such a small thing.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I take it neither of you guys are old enough for bifocals? Just wait.

For gun games with the pistol I have glasses that allow me to see the front sight. The target is fussy.

For social/HD practice I don't wear any Rx (my far vision is 20/15 and 20/25) and make sure I can hit and group acceptably from 25yards in.

For rifles, I use etched reticles on my 1x optics, or LPVO's with no Rx. My HD rifle wears an Aimpoint PRO, I can put up with the flare of the dot.

It's hell to get old.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I take it neither of you guys are old enough for bifocals? Just wait.

For gun games with the pistol I have glasses that allow me to see the front sight. The target is fussy.

For social/HD practice I don't wear any Rx (my far vision is 20/15 and 20/25) and make sure I can hit and group acceptably from 25yards in.

For rifles, I use etched reticles on my 1x optics, or LPVO's with no Rx. My HD rifle wears an Aimpoint PRO, I can put up with the flare of the dot.

It's hell to get old.
    I just last had cataract surgery last April, my left eye is 20/10 but my right is 20/25 and I shoot right eye dominate. I wish the results of the surgery were reversed with the right being the better eye. The dot of my Aimpoint PRO is about the same with either eye but target clarity at a distance of 100 yards is an issue with the PRO but my 1-4 LPVO resolves the the distance issue. I plan on talking to my eye doctor about contacts for just the right eye, one for close to see pistol sights and one for distance. I used that set up before the cataract surgery when I wore contacts in both eyes. The left contact was for distance and a close or far in the right eye depending on need..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I just last had cataract surgery last April, my left eye is 20/10 but my right is 20/25 and I shoot right eye dominate. I wish the results of the surgery were reversed with the right being the better eye. The dot of my Aimpoint PRO is about the same with either eye but target clarity at a distance of 100 yards is an issue with the PRO but my 1-4 LPVO resolves the the distance issue. I plan on talking to my eye doctor about contacts for just the right eye, one for close to see pistol sights and one for distance. I used that set up before the cataract surgery when I wore contacts in both eyes. The left contact was for distance and a close or far in the right eye depending on need..
    Not sure if it would help, but they do make full lens "reader" style safety glasses. I recommended a pair to 26inf in the Tactical gear section of the forum and there is some other decent discussion of prescription safety glasses if you wanted to go that route

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t-With-Eye-Pro

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast