Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Recently I've learned I need to get to the range alone more often. Snuck out 3 times by myself this past week. No one to entertain, nobody to watch and only did what I wanted to work on.

Just me, an action bay, a Pact 3 and plenty of pasters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've learned that I still enjoy a day on the range whether it be in 95 degree heat, freezing rain or extremely windy conditions.
    Last edited by T2C; 01-02-17 at 21:52.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been shooting 75% Pistol and 25% Carbine/Rifle for the last couple of years and have seen a marked decline in my Rifle skills, Carbine not so much.
    As I have leaned more to rifle, both bolt and semi to regain those skills I've come to the conclusion that there are some days where if you're having a really bad day, pack it up. It's better to come back and start over than to keep shooting poorly.
    That's not to say don't figure out what you are doing wrong and correct it. It is just that some times it's better to go home than to add to the frustration.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've learned how important vision is to shooting. Not just "have good vision", but knowing what I need to see and learning to only see what I need to for each shot.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedreaux View Post
    I've learned how important vision is to shooting. Not just "have good vision", but knowing what I need to see and learning to only see what I need to for each shot.
    I like the way you put that.

This morning I was thinking about the expression, "don't rush to failure" and meant to post it here:

Some time ago, we were on the range and did a small competition. It involved a sprint, and then shooting a few steel targets at varying distances. First one to shoot it clean wins. I felt that I should have been better than the guy I was up against and I let it get to me. I had him beat on the sprint and got my initial round off first. It missed so I lost - damn ego. What I realized this morning is the interesting part. I fired a follow-up shot almost instantly, before I even realized that my first shot didn't hit. It's almost as if I knew my first shot was going to miss so I subconsciously fired a second shot as soon as I got on target, which couldn't have been more than a second later.

It really goes back to one of the recent BCM clips from Northern Red on "making noise." I knew it was a bad habit of mine but I hadn't thought about it in that scenario until today. I guess on the positive side I did a good job at checking my work through my sights and follow through...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-06-17 at 15:19.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    But after the first shot you then have a spot to aim for.
    But does the first shot hit your spot?

Move the target out far enough that you can't see the bullet holes
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-13-17 at 03:01.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That after years and years of shooting(some years effectively training and developing skills, and some years ****ing around and only barely maintaining those same skills,) I can still develop a flinch(and genuine and lasting wrist pain) with 10 rounds of hot loaded S&W 500 Magnum my friend hunts with.

I overcame it with a few days of ball and dummy and a ton of dry fire.

More seriously, I've also realized that my eyes' ability to focus closely is disappearing at a younger age than I thought it happened at(or my definition of young has aged with me.). As a function of this, I'm pickier than ever about pistol sights, as I've learned that I can get decent trigger control with time and effort on even horrible triggers. But I can't make my eyes work better.

It's actually far more noticeable with a rifle because I've already chosen excellent pistol sights, whereas my ability to focus on the front sight of a rifle, and still have any ability to not have the blurred bullseye float left or right despite my best efforts is waining.

Optics are still a luxury, but their ability to help me see better is in fact beginning to transform into my ability to shoot better.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedreaux View Post

Having good vision is important. As you age it becomes necessary to adjust your shooting technique to compensate for vision changes.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Practice with irons more often. I was barely able to maintain a proper sight picture when zeroing due to all the crap in my view (KAC micro sights looking through the Aimpoint H2 along with the ATPIAL-C in black. The base of the front sight was getting lost so I was all over the place). Total rookie move but I couldn't see much out to 50yds.

Feedback Score
    I have learned I really prefer a traditional style stock over a pistol grip

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast