Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest CAR(Cowboy Assault Rifle)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My latest CAR(Cowboy Assault Rifle)

I recently received my 1978 Marlin 1894 back from Ranger Point Precision. Adam and the boys converted my .44 Magnum, 20" barrelled rifle, into a .357-44 Bain & Davis, 16" barrelled carbine. The barrel started out as a new, Douglas, 1:16 twist, .357 blank. The finish is Kal-Gard Gun-Kote in Flat OD Green on the metal bits and Tactical Desert Beige on the wood. Those colors will blend in perfectly with the flora in my area. This should be a really handy little carbine to haul around the bush.

The rounds in the included pic are loaded with 125gr Hornady XTP bullets at a guesstimated 2,100-2,300 fps. Should make quite an impression on any desert critters(Coyote, Javelina, etc.) that happen to get in the way. It's been raining in my ao lately, so the desert is more of a mud bog than the nice dry place I usually shoot. Will probably be another week before I can get to my regular place to try it out, but I will try to post some results when I do get the chance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    That is way cool, basically 300BLK ballistics in an 1894. I'd love to know what kind of groups this shoots and how well the XTP performs at those velocities.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I dig it. Both the length and color scheme. What optic, if any, do you plan on running? Also, groups would be a plus, as mentioned above.

I could see myself purchasing a lever-action, as I've been toying with the notion, and going in a similar direction...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WTDeBerry View Post
    I dig it. Both the length and color scheme. What optic, if any, do you plan on running? Also, groups would be a plus, as mentioned above.

I could see myself purchasing a lever-action, as I've been toying with the notion, and going in a similar direction...
    Initially, I intend to use a red dot sight, but may end up with a 1-4X light-weight scope, maybe even a straight 4X. For the distances I envision using this carbine, I won't require much magnification. Groups and chrono data will be forthcoming.

This is my 16th lever-action. For anything short of a zombie apocalypse, they'll do just fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh, how I envy you! But let me say I'm happy for you. I too am a lever fan but haven't done as much with them in recent years. Already I know that you know that your first powder to try will be 296. Your rifle screams for a gas checked cast bullet. If you are not a cast bullet fan but wish to learn, feel free to contact me, now or later. I'm sitting on a mountain of lead and 45 years of study. With them you can do several steps to fit the bullet to the barrel. My efforts will be pro bono.

My first recommendation is to send a few fired cases to CH/4D and have them make a die set to match your chamber. The owner will gladly talk with you on the phone, or if he's not available, he'll call you at night. He answers his own email. He's a pleasant gentleman.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Awesome! I'm definitely a fan of the CAR concept, one of my favorite firearms is a modded Marlin 336. A red-dot on a lever is so much fun.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you considered using a peep sight instead of a scope?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Forgot all about this thread, but just found it again. Ended up going with a Vortex Diamondback HP in 2-8X. A peep sight just wouldn't cut it with my eyes. so the scope was chosen.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

My latest CAR(Cowboy Assault Rifle)

I definitely need to pick up another 1894c. But prices for a JM marked .357 keep shocking me. I suppose I'll have to quit cringing and get down to business.

ETA- I hadn't thought about the Bain and Davis in a lever. That's awfully sweet!
    Last edited by jbjh; 03-22-17 at 11:17.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The 1894 has always held an interest for me. Could anyone give me advice on what/where to look for? Now I want one to send straight to Ranger; they do exactly what I would like done to one. I can see myself roaming northern UT and western MT with one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast