Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 in 44 S&W Special!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    I had assumed that when you first hypothesized constriction, you were shooting lead bullets. Now that I see that your ammo is jacketed, my opinion is that a constriction like I described would not size down a jacketed bullet. Something else is going on, Ruger should have no trouble diagnosing the issue, which may be out of spec chambers and or alignment of chambers to barrel. Alignment issues can be obvious when lead bullets are used because lead spitting to one side or the other will occur. I'm surprised to see key holing.

If you have time and inclination and are curious, you might select one chamber and fire groups using only it. Anyway, I feel your frustration. If you decide later to reload lead bullets, I can provide you various diameters of the same cast bullet so you can choose the best fit. There would be no charge. Then you could order the same bullet from Dardus--my source--and specify diameter. I have an unsized batch and have the tools to size to different diameters. I can offer safe pet load data that's worked for others.

Ruger will give you back a better handgun, and if you reload, I can point you in a good direction. Of course, you may not need assistance and may have been doing this longer than I have.
    I appreciate all your advice and offers to help.

One of the things we tried yesterday was shooting groups with each individual cylinder. I wrote 1 through 5 around the outside of the clylinder with a black marker and then used the same chambers to shoot groups. We did this using the 245gr FMJ and the 240gr lead loads and noticed no discernable difference on target.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just loaded up a handful of rounds using Blue Dot and a 220gr cast bullet from GT Bullets.

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...products_id=50

They look like a nice bullet. Ten grabbed at random weigh 217.4 - 219.6. They measure .4295" in diameter.

Will they shoot? That's the question.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, my handload shoots okay.

25 yards with 220gr cast. 11.0gr Blue Dot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Same load at 15 yards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your revolver is fine. The problem lies with the commercial ammo. Should you decide to load wadcutter bullets, look at this site.

mattsbullets.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hope you're right.

I noticed some unburned powder left over at 11.0gr so I might bump it up a grain and see what happens. 11.0 is max in the Lyman book but I believe Mr. Pearce's data goes up to 12.5gr with a 225gr cast bullet.

I also need to try a few jacketed bullets from Sierra or Hornady and a few more types of commercial ammo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For commercial ammo, check out: ammotogo.com

This is a mom and pop place in Texas and has a good selection of .44 Spl. ammo, and being out of state, you would pay zero sales tax. I can vouch for their excellent service but know little about what's a good deal on .44 Spl ammo. I see, though, that they have Black Hills brand.

Addendum: The old standby Unique has an excellent accuracy record in the .44 Spl. You can safely use 7.0 grains up through 245/250 grain bullets, and some load 7.5 grains with same. Verify what I just wrote and if you agree, you might try 7.0 Unique in your experiments. It doesn't measure well, though, so if using a measure, you can throw a lighter charge and then dribble to 7.0. You likely know this info, but I thought I'd say it just in case. I don't mean to condemn Unique but have developed a technique to run it through a measure.
    Last edited by williejc; 12-31-16 at 19:34. Reason: more info

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe Skeeter Skelton's favorite Special load was with Unique.

Honestly the only reason I'm using Blue Dot is because I have a can that I'll never use otherwise. But if it works okay with hotter loads I might continue with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought a box of 180gr XTP's and some Remington 240gr JHP's and have loaded five of each with Blue Dot. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get them shot.

Both bullets measure .430" and we'll see how they shoot. If neither shoot the gun's going back to the factory.

Feedback Score
    An easy way you can check for a constriction at the frame is to take a soft lead .50 caliber muzzle loader ball and hammer it into the muzzle of your revolver and all the way through with a small wooden dowel or a cheap plastic cleaning rod that will not damage the bore. If you have an issue you'll feel it as more resistance near the frame/barrel just before you push out your perfectly formed lead barrel slug.

It is a rare revolver that doesn't have a bit of constriction at the frame. Most of the time it is not a big deal and will erode over time as you put rounds through it.

You could also fire lap it out.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast