Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $20m defeat for Bloomberg. AG kills Nevada's "background check" initiative

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only problem with that is privacy laws.

That and if one were a real stickler, it is entirely possible for an individual to go to their local police/sheriff and get their own criminal history to offer voluntarily upon purchase.

Of course, none of that would really prevent an undocumented/undetected criminal or someone who just decides to lose it one day.

I think our system is more than adequate, I think people are just wanting to nickel and dime thinking they can prevent everything.

The majority of guns were stolen or illegally acquired. We could even make it a law to have a safe, but if someone wants your stuff bad enough; they'll get it.

California and Chicago have some stringent laws, yet have a lot of high gun crime.

How would more laws affect Chicago?

How would anything other than mechanized infantry fix Chicago gun crime?

It's his money and he is welcome to waste it but I dont see what more anybody can do short of infringing further on the 2A

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The only problem with that is privacy laws.
    Privacy is an obsolete concept.

It's all out there anyway, forever.

If I want to go beyond "show me a voter ID or a CCW" should I have to plug your name into mugshots.com, the sex offender registry, or research your online persona?

Would that naturally afford more protection to someone with a totally boring and common name like myself vs. a weird combo like Seamus Guerrero or something unique like La'Treveyon Jackson?

If I want to hire a guy and make sure he's not a criminal, I should hire some private company that does background checks... and they're going to tell me if you've ever been a jail bird?

It makes zero ****ing sense.

Professionalize it. Legitimize it. Make it free.

Let Dads run their daughters boyfriend through it. Have employees check out their boss. Go nuts.

We can all do it already if we want to invest keystrokes, a bit of time, and maybe a little money...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's not that simple.

A PI can check court dockets or if someone is a convicted felon.

These mugshots websites, targeted towards nosey soccer moms, only record arrests. Not convictions.

Someone who got popped for a suspended tag or speeding is not disqualified from buying a gun like a felon or DomVio.

I disagree that privacy is obsolete. There are people who successfully completed First Offender and have no accessible criminal history.

If you want to hire a guy, you can have him get his own criminal history. Lots of people do this.

Personal Backgrounds are rather complex and the laws are in place for a reason.

One has the right not to sell, date, or associate with a person, but even a police officer has to have a case number to get a criminal history.

All NICS does is advise if a person is a felon, domvio, or procedurally renounced his or her citizenship.

They wont disclose the details.

Plus, unless you have ever had a SID no., i.e. fingerprinted incident to arrest, chances are you have no history at all. Perhaps a driver's history but no criminal.

California and a few other states used to let people get other peoples records from license plates until IIRC Rebecca Schaeffer was killed by a stalker who did that to get her actual address.

Some of this falls on personal judgement calls and discernment rather than more intrusiveness.

If someone isnt willing to meet you in broad daylight at a Police Department parking lot or have it shipped to an FFL, then politely say "No sale".

JMHO
    Last edited by Firefly; 12-29-16 at 19:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I disagree that privacy is obsolete.
    That was probably too boldly stated, but convictions have always been public record. We just haven't had such excellent tools to quickly and easily search them.

Arrests are too. So just like having a unique name may make it easier for someone to access your public history, so too would living in one of those places where the local paper publishes daily mugshots online.

I'm simply saying legitimize it in a one stop shop. Simple and free.

One has the right not to sell, date, or associate with a person, but even a police officer has to have a case number to get a criminal history.

All NICS does is advise if a person is a felon, domvio, or procedurally renounced his or her citizenship.
    It's unfortunate, but we live in a time where Americans are racking their brains for reasons to discriminate against their countrymen- no service to the Gays, Blacks, Muslims, whatever.

I'm just saying put it all in one place- in the past I've suggested the back of the Driver's license, but this would require more frequent license renewals.

I need to know if someone is a prohibited person.

I want to know their criminal history, sex offender yes/no, no fly yes/no, number of twitter followers and Facebook friends, approximate credit score, do they own any land, and are they on the internet talking bad about the President.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123