Thread: .17 HMR conversion?

Feedback Score

UPDATE: .17 HMR conversion?

B.L.U.F.
    Can a .17 Mach2 have the chamber reamed out to accept .17 HMR safely?

I bought a Savage Mark II when the .17 Mach2 first came out, and I really liked it. It's a very accurate rifle. For the past eight years or so, I haven't had much time for hunting, so my bolt guns and shotgun have been getting neglected.

About a year ago I decided to dig a few out to go shoot, but could find .17 Mach2 ammo anywhere. Come to find out the cartridge went the way of the dodo. I was pretty upset that I now had a really crappy club, instead of the tack driver it once was. I recently had the thought "why can't I get the chamber reamed out to .17 HMR?" Sure, I'll have a single shot since the rounds won't fit in the magazine, but at least I could still shoot it. If I can find a gunsmith with a chamber reamer and a set of headspace gages, it seems like a pretty straightforward job.

Anyway, with all that rambling out of the way;
    Is this a viable option?
    Is there anything I'm missing that would prevent this from working?
    Has anyone out there actually done this?
    It's a really beefy barrel, so I don't think the increase in pressure would be a concern. Am I wrong?

Any helpful comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by Frank_Jameson; 03-17-19 at 18:16. Reason: Update

Feedback Score
    Never heard of anyone trying the conversion you're thinking about. Why not go with the easy conversion to a 22lr by changing the barrel?

Feedback Score
    From what I've read, the barrels on the Mark II rifles are press fit, so it's not a simple process like on a 10/22, or even their centerfire rifles.

Feedback Score
    Update:

I guess .17 Mach2 ammo is still being made. Local Sportsman's Warehouse has a bunch of it. Glad I didn't junk the rifle.