Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R700 Vs W70

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

R700 Vs W70

As a basis for a precision rifle, I see that most feature a receiver using or based on the Remington 700 action. Why is this?

I'm wondering if a Winchester M70 action (or common variant) can be used that would provide the same performance as those seen using the Rem action.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you prefer Winchesters, by all means go for it. There are many features of the Model 70 action that I find desireable, such as the massive integral recoil lug, the flat bottom design of the receiver, the three position safety and the ease of field stripping the bolt. Model 70s can be very accurate.

Remington 700s are usually quite accurate, but they are a different design, and I have never been able to fully warm up to what I perceive as shortcomings. That said, it is a personal preference thing more than anything.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    FN SPR's, which are quite accurate, are based on the W70. i especially like their controlled feed (i think that's what it's called) action. i can quietly and slowly retract the bolt and eject rounds very discreetly and neatly.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    I have the FN but the aftermarket stuff is pretty scarce. The Rem 700 stuff is easy to find and you can find it used.

Feedback Score
    As a basis for a precision rifle, I see that most feature a receiver using or based on the Remington 700 action. Why is this?

I'm wondering if a Winchester M70 action (or common variant) can be used that would provide the same performance as those seen using the Rem action.
    Okay, here goes (and my memory is a bit rusty).

Early in Vietnam, the Marine Corps used a couple of rifles they had in the inventory for sporting purposes as sniper rifles. These two rifles were the pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 and the Remington 700. Over time the pre-'64 M70s became harder and harder to come by. The pre-'64 M70s were far more desirable than the post-'64 M70s as there were design "improvements" made in 1964 that were less than well recieved. The Marine Corps started looking at having a dedicated sniper rifle and chose the M700 platform, which became the M40 family. The Army followed suit in the early 80's with the adoption of the M24SWS. So now you have the two major branches of ground combat utilizing the Remington 700 series of rifle as their primary SWS. LE Agencies followed suit and to make a long story short that's how the Remington 700 climbed to the top of the tactical bolt gun market. It wasn't until about 10 years ago (give or take a few years) that Winchester went back to a modified version of the pre-'64 Model 70.

And to answer your second question, yes. If I'm not mistaken, Gunny Hathcock used a Model 70 for a portion of his time downrange.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +1.
    Most Win M70's that you can still find are the cheaper, base model ones, with the push-feed actions, which don't work very well at all, when compared to the Remington 700's push feed design.
    The Pre-64' style of Winchester that's so sought after isn't a push-feed. It's a controlled-round feed. The difference is the big, claw extractor running down the side of the bolt. It is very similar to a Mauser extractor, which is a BIG part (if not THE part) that made Mauser rifles and actions so legendary.
    This basically means that when the bolt first contacts the round in the magazine, the extractor gets hold of it, and you have complete control over that round. Also, when you retract the bolt, you can pull it gently, and silenty extract the case and just reach down and get it, OR, jerk back on that sucker and powerfully throw that case several feet to the side.
    Ruger M77 rifles also use this big, Mauser style extractor, I think Winchester used to market this as the "Bear Claw" extractor, IIRC. The problem with Rugers though, is finding one accurate enough to be called a "sniper rifle"... I don't think they offer any heavy barreled or tactical variants, unfortunately.
    FN bought and took over the Winchester plant that made M70's (New Haven?) so you can get an FN SPR with the pre-64 action, if you want one.
    There's a reason though that the Remington 700 is the most widely used sniper rifle in the country, that is performance to price. You can get a sub-MOA M700 for well under $800, the actions work great, and there's nothing you could want that's not available through aftermarket accessories. I own or have owned almost every major bolt action rifle ever made, from AI to Tikka, and I must say, I am a M700 fan through and through, but there's features on the M70 I like better, namely the 3 position safety.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The push feed Model 70s feed just as well as any controlled round feed Winchester or Remington 700 for that matter. Most of my Winnies are the controlled round feed, but I don't mind the push feed models at all.

The huge advantage Remington 700s have is they are cheaper to manufacture with their round tube action design. Their popularity drives the aftermarket accessory availability...but, you can buy the same components for Winchester 70s most of the time.

I have never found any problem finding any accessory that was worthwhile. I use Badger rings and bases and Talley's screw lock rings and bases. The same goes for the stocks. McMillan is where it's at. Everybody has different tastes, so one must simply decide what is affordable or preferrable.

If you are concerned with weight, the Model 70 action is one of the heaviest, so it may not be the choice for a real light rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was just comparing in my opinion. I have a Win M70 .30-06 and M70 7mm-08 thats push feed, and a Win M70 Laredo (heavy barrel) in 7mm Rem Mag and Win M70 Featherweight in .270 both w/ Pre-64' actions.
    Comparing my push feed versions with my Remington 700's (700P, 700 SPS Varmint, and 700 standard), they aren't as reliable with all types of ammo. For example, when using blunt soft-points, with the Remington's, I can push the bolt closed as slow as I want. With the Winchester push feeds, if I don't push the bolt closed at least at a moderate pace, consistently, it will sometimes cause a jam.
    My advice to OP, get whichever rifle you can get the best deal on, and the one that's in the caliber/barrel config you want.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I accept and understand what you mean...just that it has been so many years since I used a Remington, that I can't compare side by side in a physical way any more.

It is nice to meet another Winchester owner. How does your Laredo shoot? I have mine bedded in an A5 McMillan, and it does pretty well with 160 grain Accubonds and 64.5 grs. RE22 in Winchester brass. It also likes Sierra 168 gr. Match Kings with a max load of H4831. Velocity is just under 3000 ft/sec. with both loads.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    thanks for the replies, guys. I'm pretty aware of the history of the Winchester CRF action and wondered why the Remmy is most often used for PRecision type rifles. you've answered most of my questions.

I have a W M70 Classic (w/crf) Supergrade in 7MM Mag and is shoots quite well on occasion. Since I don't hunt with it, I began wondering what I should do. It seems like it could be built very easily into a "longer" range practical/tactical rifle and that's waht I think I'll do.

thanks for all the replies...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast