Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nilgai/Blue Bull Cartridge/Load Selection

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I killed four Nilgai, three cows and a nice bull in May. I used two rifles, a .308 and a .300 Win. Mag. Three of them were shot with the .300 and a single Cow was shot with the .308.

The bull was a good one, his horns were just over 9" and on the hoof he weighed about 600 pounds. It took four of us about half an hour to drag him the 35-40 yards through the brush (miserably thick) to where we could get a truck to him. The cows were between 300-400 pounds.

The bull was shot at about 200 yards, broadside. I was using a suppressor and clearly heard the bullet hit, knew it was a good hit by the sound, but he ran off like I had missed. He ran about 35-40 yards into the brush- we would never have found him that night without the thermal. The bullet was a standard Remington Core Lokt, 200 grain. I recovered it just under the hide on the off side, there was a "bump" in his hide and a small trickle of blood coming out.... Broke 5 ribs--three going in and two when it nearly exited. The cows, no bullet recovered. The one cow I shot with the .308 (Winchester Power Point 150 grain) was straight through the heart at about 125 yards or so, she fell dead about where she stood, really surprised me, bullet exited.

We were hunting pretty close to Smithville- had to have the Federal Agent come and spray my bull Cape etc...for Ticks before we could leave with it. If you know the area then you know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Esq.; 12-14-18 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Nilgai/Blue Bull Cartridge/Load Selection

Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I killed four Nilgai, three cows and a nice bull in May. I used two rifles, a .308 and a .300 Win. Mag. Three of them were shot with the .300 and a single Cow was shot with the .308.

The bull was a good one, his horns were just over 9" and on the hoof he weighed about 600 pounds. It took four of us about half an hour to drag him the 35-40 yards through the brush (miserably thick) to where we could get a truck to him. The cows were between 300-400 pounds.

The bull was shot at about 200 yards, broadside. I was using a suppressor and clearly heard the bullet hit, knew it was a good hit by the sound, but he ran off like I had missed. He ran about 35-40 yards into the brush- we would never have found him that night without the thermal. The bullet was a standard Remington Core Lokt, 200 grain. I recovered it just under the hide on the off side, there was a "bump" in his hide and a small trickle of blood coming out.... Broke 5 ribs--three going in and two when it nearly exited. The cows, no bullet recovered. The one cow I shot with the .308 (Winchester Power Point 150 grain) was straight through the heart at about 125 yards or so, she fell dead about where she stood, really surprised me, bullet exited.

We were hunting pretty close to Smithville- had to have the Federal Agent come and spray my bull Cape etc...for Ticks before we could leave with it. If you know the area then you know what I'm talking about.
    Yep. Last time I was there I forgot my deet in Houston, forgot to retreat my clothes with permethrin, and forgot that the Falfurrias Walmart has closed. Picked EIGHT dog ticks off of myself over two days.

Normally permethrin treated clothing, deet on skin, long pants made out of smooth material, and boots and it’s a non-issue...but damn were they thick earlier this fall.

It’s the USDA that sprays them right? I don’t think they’ll do Brooks county which sucks. I think they’re really targeting Cattle Fever Ticks. But damn I’d love for them to hit my deer before I skin them too.

Permethrin kills ticks almost immediately, I wonder if you could spritz it down real quick first...and then be super careful to not contaminate the meat when skinning/butchering. It is approved for use in restaurants, so I wonder if it might be okay as long as you did pretty well keeping it on the hide and not the meat.

It’s only two of us, and their tractor needs a starter...so we had to chop his up where he fell to even be able to get it to the truck.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 12-14-18 at 13:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    Yep. Last time I was there I forgot my deet in Houston, forgot to retreat my clothes with permethrin, and forgot that the Falfurrias Walmart has closed. Picked EIGHT dog ticks off of myself over two days.

Normally permethrin treated clothing, deet on skin, long pants made out of smooth material, and boots and it’s a non-issue...but damn were they thick earlier this fall.

It’s the USDA that sprays them right? I don’t think they’ll do Brooks county which sucks. I think they’re really targeting Cattle Fever Ticks. But damn I’d love for them to hit my deer before I skin them too.

Permethrin kills ticks almost immediately, I wonder if you could spritz it down real quick first...and then be super careful to not contaminate the meat when skinning/butchering. It is approved for use in restaurants, so I wonder if it might be okay as long as you did pretty well keeping it on the hide and not the meat.

It’s only two of us, and their tractor needs a starter...so we had to chop his up where he fell to even be able to get it to the truck.
    Yea, the Agent was with USDA, really nice guy, came out pretty quickly, gave us a special tag for transport etc....He didn't spray but he was there when the Contractor did it. He did give us a card to give to our Taxidermist warning of the hazards of the chemicals they used.

I don't envy you having just two to try and move one. The cows that we shot two were on the edge of the field and we could drive right up to them, two were in the middle of some milo though. Farmer didn't want us using 4 Wheelers etc, which of course I understand. We have a "cart"- it's on a set of big bicycle tires with an aluminum U shaped frame and straps. You lay it down next to the animal, strap them in and then stand it up and two guys can manage it pretty well once you get it up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Nilgai/Blue Bull Cartridge/Load Selection

I don't envy you having just two to try and move one.
    The guts were actually the hardest part, just getting the damned thing to lay over on its back was brutal. After that, for a real basic chop it up till you get to ice and a table, I can’t recommend this or a similar tool enough. https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XRJ06Z

I will say if you headshot something be sure to bleed it before you put a power saw into it...played that messy game on a deer before.

But you’re playing around down on the ground with pokey things and ticks and that sandy dirt that coats everything...not an ideal place for good clean handing of meat. I’ll take several painters tarps when I go back to try and create a clean area.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 12-14-18 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    The guts were actually the hardest part, just getting the damned thing to lay over on its back was brutal. After that, for a real basic chop it up till you get to ice and a table, I can’t recommend this or a similar tool enough. https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XRJ06Z

I will say if you headshot something be sure to bleed it before you put a power saw into it...played that messy game on a deer before.

But you’re playing around down on the ground with pokey things and ticks and that sandy dirt that coats everything...not an ideal place for good clean handing of meat. I’ll take several painters tarps when I go back to try and create a clean area.
    Boy you said a mouthful there! When I was interviewing guides for an Alaskan moose hunt one of the guys sent me a "gear list". At the bottom was "Milwaukee Cordless 18 Volt Saws All, three batteries, two wood blades"....I asked the guy what the hell that was for- not really having thought it through! He laughed at me and said, "You've never had a moose on the ground have you?"....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Boy you said a mouthful there! When I was interviewing guides for an Alaskan moose hunt one of the guys sent me a "gear list". At the bottom was "Milwaukee Cordless 18 Volt Saws All, three batteries, two wood blades"....I asked the guy what the hell that was for- not really having thought it through! He laughed at me and said, "You've never had a moose on the ground have you?"....
    Whoops...I definitely demonstrated my ADHD thought train with the jumps between paragraphs there.

I actually tell everyone I know who plans to process their own big game to at least go to Harbor Freight and drop $25 on a cheap reciprocating saw. It makes the process a breeze and even opens up whole new options for different cuts you can take. Want to do bone in chops? Easy. Ribs? Easy. Cutting up shanks for Oso Buck? Easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12